Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323441 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Looks so good  :yes:  :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Words can't describe how awesome this is!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It fits beautifully with the mission it was requested for, too!  ;7

Seriously, Herra, this is a fantastic piece of work. I can't wait to see what you do with Jupiter.

And thanks to Blowfish as well for helping out so much. You guys are awesome. (They had that skybox ready two days after the request, and most of that was fine-tuning.)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
special contents in the upcoming mission of BP series? maybe a battle next to saturn....

hell yeah!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Man. That's some hot **** there.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Inspiration:

Render:

Getting somewhere here... Still some fine tuning to be done. especially regarding the ring texture. It's somewhat washed out...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
You know what'd make a cool skybox?

Something like this:

Possibly also animated.

Nice one. I may look into it if I have the time :D

But animated, dunno. if you want a bit of planet there, it's one 2048x2048 texture per frame. MEMORY HOG - I guess today's rigs wouldn't like it. In a few years though...
You could go to 1024x1024 planets, but they may be too small to see the aurora.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Make the aurora a separate bitmap?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
To do the aurora, I might try somthing with a volumetric build of blender...
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:bump:

Because this thread really needs to be bumped...

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Yep. One of my favourite threads :D
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hmmm, the link at the start seems to have died.

for those using GIMP can i suggest http://gtuts.com/design/the-ultimate-gimp-planet-tutorial/1

i got this result

please excuse the white that is supposed to be transparency
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
If that's your first planet, it's not that bad ;)
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Yeah, it's pretty good for a start :yes:

Offline watsisname

Indeedery!  I like your surface texture. :)  And thanks for that link as well, that's one of the best tutorials I've seen yet.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline watsisname

Double Post!

For a while I’ve been poking around with the idea of taking planets from the solar system and altering them to look terraformed, ie, earthlike.  The most logical ones to use for this purpose are Venus and Mars, since they are both terrestrial worlds near the habitable zone.  Personally I’ve just been working with Mars but I may try to do one for Venus in the future.

Here’s how it works.  To start with, you’ll obviously need a surface texture for your planet.  Using this with any of the aforementioned GIMP-planet tutorials should give you a nice looking rendition.  Here’s what I got for Mars by using a 4096x2048 texture:

Now for terraforming.  In the case of Mars, this means making a thicker, bluish atmosphere, adding clouds, a biosphere, and possibly most important of all, OCEANS! \o/

For realistic oceans, you need to decide how deep they will be (how much of the land will be covered?) and then figure out what parts of the surface are below that threshold.  For that, you need a heightmap.  Do a google image search for ‘mars elevation map’ -- the first result is a good one and I’ll refer to that in this example.
In GIMP, place this over your surface texture.  You may need to resize it and use offset to get them to match each other correctly.  Now you need to make a selection on the heightmap that contains a given range of altitudes.  To do this, use colors > map > ‘rotate colors’.  What you’re doing is taking a select range of colors (altitudes) and changing them to a single new color.  In this case the only unused color you can change them to is somewhere between violet and magenta, so on the ‘to’ colorwheel, make a tiny sliver in that area.  I suggest going from 1.6 to 1.61 rad/pi.  Now go to the ‘from’ colorwheel.  The lower limit of the selection should be below the bluest color on the map, I’d use 1.5 rad/pi.  Now swing the upper limit around clockwise from there and watch the preview, you’ll see a progressively greater area change into a purple color.  This area is what will become the ocean.  I used something around 0.6.

When you have a good color range, go ahead and hit ‘ok’.  Now you’ll select the big purple region with the ‘select by color’ tool.  You will likely need to play with the settings for feather edges and threshold, and press shift while clicking in several areas to get the whole region selected properly.  Once you’ve got all the purple selected, bucket fill the whole selection with a blue ocean color.  You might need to bucket fill a few times to get the edges right.
Make sure this layer has an alpha channel (right click in layer tab, ‘add alpha channel’), and then invert the selection and clear.  Now it’s just your oceans sitting on top of your surface texture. :)

Now add the biosphere.  For this, get some good looking image textures and lay them over your surface.  A lot of experimentation is key, some textures will work well, some will not, and be sure to use different blending modes and play with the colors/contrast etc.  You may also want to use different looking textures with certain regions of the planet or at certain altitudes.  For Mars, it’d be more realistic to only have plantlife up to a certain altitude, as the air will be very thin higher up.

Once satisfied with your surface go ahead and map to sphere, add the atmospheric effects, clouds, and anything else you like.

My result for terraformed Mars:

*Images are 1024^ with alpha, can be converted to tga and used in freespace*
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
 :eek2: Really liking that. But, a suggestion: We know that Mars is, in terms of temperature, way colder than Earth. That would suggest to me that you would get substantial icecaps, which your terraformed Mars is missing.

Oh, and another completely irrelevant suggestion: Can you do a Mercury texture? Or a combined Mercury/Sun skybox? It would be relevant to my interests.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:eek2: Really liking that. But, a suggestion: We know that Mars is, in terms of temperature, way colder than Earth. That would suggest to me that you would get substantial icecaps, which your terraformed Mars is missing.
Artificially-induced global warming?  You shovel enough greenhouse gases into Mars's atmosphere, and I'd imagine that you could at least partially overcome its distance from the Sun.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
True, I suppose. But as it is, that planet has no ice caps at all, which looks a bit unnatural (Well, more unnatural than a green and blue Mars...). Of course, you could keep it like that and put a few giant solar collectors in orbit to give Mars that extra bit of energy...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns