Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 323469 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: Celestial Objects Thread
Sure thing. :)
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

My first (decent) planet in Blender, thanks to this and this tutorial.

Feedback & opinions much appreciated; is the tiling of the clouds very noticeable?

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

Nuff said. I love this planet.

"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Even with you saying FSF I can't see the tiling.  My only criticism is that you get no sense of depth from the atmosphere but i have no idea how you can achieve that in blender and a problem I have encountered before in my own attempts.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Now trying to make the above planet into a skybox, however running into issues - picture attached. The atmosphere blur doesn't continue seamlessly like the planet does. This is also visible when simply putting the maps next to each other - the planet surface neatly aligns, but the blur doesn't.

The only way I can think of to fix this is to render the atmosphere separate from planet + clouds, then screen atmosphere manually over the planet for each side of the skybox (and its neighbouring sides), then merge the atmosphere layers and blur them as a whole. But having to do this for each face-with-planet would be a pain, and I'm not quite sure if the results would be as expected.

Is there any convenient way to do this?

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wait I don't understand which is the problem, from what I see there you've got a seam... like when you render a skybox with a wrong fov on the camera.

what did you get from the blender render? a simple dds image?, multiple images?, or 6 quadrans like a skybox?
el hombre vicio...

I rendered the skybox elements individually with a 90-deg FOV square camera, because Blender's envmap doesn't like compositing nodes.

Well, the obvious solution to blurring issues is to use blur less... also, higher resolution (above at 512, below at 1024, final will be 2048) seems to help. The picture below contains the seam again; can you spot it? And would you notice in-game?

Spoiler:
It's on the left of the image

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:43:11 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Negative sir. I don't see anything. That skybox is awesome :yes:.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
weird, I've made skyboxes before with blurring on the transitions and only detected problems when using a bad fov (which would screw up any image in fact, not only blurry ones) or when I missed to set up the textures for the seamless skybox.

Where's the seam?, that thing far on the left of the image?

EDIT:
just read the spoiler, silly me.
It's not really noticeable, will not be seen in game unless the player sits down a while and looks for it.
Problem with beautiful skyboxes is that people tend to do that unfortunately, btw.. REALLY AWESOME work man.

EDIT 2:
Don't give up, there's definitely a way to get a skybox without seams on it, problem must be somewhere down the line of production.
Are you using the seamless skybox provided by herra/blowfish a while back?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:17:39 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Yes, I'm using the seamless skybox. Sides were rendered at 1020^2px, then 2 px of neighbouring sides were attached. Apart from the ones in the atmosphere falloff, I didn't notice any seams in the mission.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well thats correcty done then, sure you didn't mess the image when saving it, like leaving the layer in 1020px?
el hombre vicio...

Nope, quite sure I did that correctly. Bah, I'll just leave it this way, it's not too bad...

Offline watsisname

I think the planet is absolutely fantastic, personally. :)  Love the double-lighting on it.
Don't sweat the glitch too much -- sure it'd be nice to know how to fix but honestly it's such a minor thing I doubt many would notice it without knowing it was there first.

edit:
gorrammit, you just HAD to include links to tutorials, didn't you!  now I'm gonna be slaved to reading them for the next hour or so. D:

That's a fine lookin' planet thar. Yup.  :yes:

Here's my first skybox. I was trying for high altitude gas giant or maybe Venus. It's pretty trippy to fly around in. Included is a text with the best place to put the sun and I found that the green poofs don't look good but that might just be me.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bmewk4g3mmhdx9h/GasGiantSkyBox.7z

Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Looks pretty incredible. Very nice work. :yes:

Offline Luis Dias

didnt know the nebula worked with skyboxes

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
me neither, anyways nice work :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This is awesome piece of work! You will see your pretty skybox in 13rd mission of Shadow Genesis :).
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline watsisname

Looks positively dangerous and eerily beautiful, me likes!