Author Topic: Celestial Objects Thread  (Read 321781 times)

Re: Celestial Objects Thread
This is awesome piece of work! You will see your pretty skybox in 13rd mission of Shadow Genesis :).

Hey that's good news. I can't wait to play it! I appreciate all the positive feedback. Thanks.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Luis Dias

didnt know the nebula worked with skyboxes

I wrote this still in a skeptical mood. I'd be swayed if someone showed me how to make it work (I can't)

Not sure what the problem could be. Here's what the background settings should look like in Fred.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I tested skybox in the mission. It looks nice, but I think the cloulds should be more sharper and the fragment of clear sky above us looks like a sphere.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Luis Dias

Hm thanks I were able to see where I went wrong. I checked the "no lighting" box under the skybox flag.

EDIT: experimenting with it.

Hm. An Orion isn't visible at 2000 m (ok), and then shows up like boom! in a blue sillouette, which fades to usual mapping as we get nearer (something that would be invisible with no skyboxed nebula).

I'll try with 10k visibility.

EDIT2: Nope, changing the range does not change the effect.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:55:29 am by Luis Dias »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yeah nebula range is for radar detection.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, so unless the ships used are very small (smaller than a deimos), I don't think this effect is very neat. At least with current fog stats.

I tested skybox in the mission. It looks nice, but I think the cloulds should be more sharper and the fragment of clear sky above us looks like a sphere.

Yeah I agree, so I sharpened it up some and rendered it differently and I got this. It's still a little dome like at the top but it's not as bad. There's one more thing I'd like to try before I'm done with this. Maybe remove a lot of those clouds that are moving towards the center. Personally I like this version.

New Maps:http://www.mediafire.com/file/n564ao1v6slfg6b/RerenderGasGiant.7z

Yes, so unless the ships used are very small (smaller than a deimos), I don't think this effect is very neat. At least with current fog stats.

This is supposed to be the upper atmosphere of a gas giant. A ship the size of a Deimos, much less an Orion, has no business being in this environment. Short of a sub space jump I can't imagine how an Orion would even get there.

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah well I'm just sayin. Other people could have other ideas and instead of treating your skybox like a giant gas planet, they could interpret it as inside a nebula and try to make capship fights within it.

EDIT: I understand how my comments are getting through, look I think the skybox is amazing and that's why I went to test it ;).

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Yeah well I'm just sayin. Other people could have other ideas and instead of treating your skybox like a giant gas planet, they could interpret it as inside a nebula and try to make capship fights within it.

EDIT: I understand how my comments are getting through, look I think the skybox is amazing and that's why I went to test it ;).
THAT is exactly one reason why I want to use this skybox....some epic fighting in the middle of a big nebula.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Well that sounds like a job for superman Valathil. Maybe he can get the shaders to play nice with poofs and skyboxes.

It looks amazing.  How did you do it?

I made both of these a couple years ago, just recently stumbled across them again. The volcanic one was made for ED, then scrapped; the civilized one was originally for now-hibernating EW. Both are in 2048^2 DDS, ready for in-game use. They're not the greatest, but I think they're not too bad either ;)

Volcanic:

Civilized:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:20:06 am by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
amazing work..

oh how I miss working on a background bitmap... I need some holidays :C
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I was thinking who made that awesome volcanic planet for ED. I love your style, great work :yes:.

EDIT: Something is wrong with rar with the civilized planet. There is a star bitmap with table, not the planet.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:05:04 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Something is wrong with rar with the civilized planet. There is a star bitmap with table, not the planet.

Whoops! Should be fixed now.

I've always wanted to see this... still working on it, but I hope it's going the right way. Loosely based on NASA's and Jon Lomberg's work.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
yo man, awesome!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
You hope it's going the right way? It's always going the awesome-space way. Keep it up :yes:
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Antares_Z13

• Improving skills by the day
After roughly a month of work, restarting this thing about three times, constant critiquing from others, frustration, and learning in Photoshop, I present to you all this planet:

Below you can download the .psd file if you like. Anyone can use this planet as long as I, Antares Zyklus the 13th (aka Nu Zalem), gets the credit (I'm a fan of open source material *thumbs up*).

.psd file: http://www.mediafire.com/?hn3e3mznd5exh45 (64MB)

Some tidbits about the planet:
- The resolution is at 4096x4096
- I tried to make the darker side of the planet as dark as I could, but I couldn't completely make it black. If anyone has any tips or such then please drop me a line or something.
- The texture for the planet was originally made at 8192x8192 resolution, but I shrank it to 4096x4096
-29 layers in all
- The thing is massive :)

I hope you all put it to use somehow and enjoy it. It was certainly a learning experience for me and has given me confidence to try out new things. I'd like to thank the following for help/advice/criticism: Brand-X, Herratohtori, Zacam, Kyad, Lester^, Bloody Excerment (a friend of mine outside of HLP), FSOSara...if I missed anyone my apologies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:56:47 pm by Antares_Z13 »
"Do or do not. There is no try." --Master Yoda