Author Topic: # of squadrons displayed in HUD  (Read 4413 times)

# of squadrons displayed in HUD

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to bump up the number of squadrons tracked in the upper righthand corner of the HUD.  The limit seems to be 5, but I'm sure there was a mission in the main Freespace 2 campaign where there were maybe a dozen or so squadrons being tracked, and then a bunch of them blew up due to sabotage.  I searched for this topic, didn't see any posts on it.

Thanks all,

KILLFACE!!

Re: # of squadrons displayed in HUD
Can the "Custom Wing Names" option do this?

Under the Mission Specs Editor is an area for custom wing names. It's there so you can put in wing names other than Alpha, Beta, etc. and still have them displayed in the Wingmates area. It *might* increase the number of visible wings, but I don't know.

Like, if you already had Alpha - Epsilon up there (which I believe is the max by default), and added Zeta as a custom, would it display Zeta as well?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

I'm familiar with renaming wings, but there's still only five available spots for tracking them regardless of the names used.  Once Alpha-Epsilon are up, no other wings placed in the mission show up on the tracking bar.  But I can't shake the feeling that there MUST be a way to track more than five wings, based on that mission I remember from the original game.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Not if you can code. I don't think there's any other way besides screwing with the code to increase the number of displayed wings.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Cobra is right, as far as I can see from the code it's hard-coded to 5.  Not promising anything here, but I'm messing with a bunch of related code at the moment... so how would you suggest it be done?  Just a straight bump?  What should be the (reasonable!) maximum number of wings displayed?

I don't remember the mission you mention... only one with sabotaging fighters I can think of is in the SOC loop where Snipes uses buggy detonators, and there weren't that many wings.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. He's thinking of Love the treason.... but here were only 5 wings in that mission.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Only five wings in that mission, eh?  It must have just SEEMED like more, what with every rebel ship that survived instantly jumping on my ass  :eek:.  Thanks for the input, everybody.

5 wings is plenty to view.
Mayb they should have priorities though? Say you had 6 wings in a mission and Rho wing was just a lowly cadet wing it would therefore not be displayed in the HUD. But of Beta got destroyed then Rho replaces its spot.
I know that would be a hell of a ***** to code.
SCP is the greatest cause of Inferiority Complexes in those that can't run it

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Maybe, Maybe not.

It's not a bad idea actually but I think it's useful to know that Beta are dead.

That's what radio messages are for.

it would be self explanitory if they were no longer on the HUD :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
True but the HUD display is meant to be used for very quick glances at who is alive. I know I rarely even bother to read the wing names when I do look at it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Would it be possible to add an option for the mission designer to FRED in a second row of wings?
EDIT: And have the player able to toggle it on/off?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Would it be possible to add an option for the mission designer to FRED in a second row of wings?
EDIT: And have the player able to toggle it on/off?

Not enough room. The FS2 hud is packed.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Why would you want any mroe then 5 friendly squadrons?

Any more sounds like a BOE mission to me...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
*snort*

Any more sounds like a BOE mission to me...

A massive strike against a Huge Capship? Without friendly capships of course.
But i agree, there are not many scenarios where more than 5 wings are necessary so would it really be worth the effort?

then again he could be using the BOE strategy used in SWXWA.

That is, split the mission into seperate "parts" or missions
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

'sports and frieghters can go into wings too. So can cruisers or corvettes even.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Rather than adding another wing, why not allow wings to be organized into squadrons and display the overall strength of those on the HUD? That would be good for aforementioned capship assault situations, as you could have a bomber squadron, fighter squadron, and intercept squadron (12+ wings!) but still only take up 3 wings' worth of space on the HUD.

Personally I think once you ask the player to pay attention to 20 different status indicators, you're not going to be getting his/her full and undivided attention anyway.
-C