Author Topic: BETA: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm  (Read 12882 times)

Re: BETA RELEASE: Flames of War - Coming of the Storm
What about the spoiler tag?

snoops can look at them.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

So I played some of the later missions. So far:

A daunting task - worked fine

Grinder(my mission - some minor embarrassing typos by me still left in)

Just Shock - i got the feeling that my ship might be tagged invulnerable. Also the stations explosion didn't do enough(if any) damage to nearby ships. The Rapier  positions itself badly and sometimes beams the station by accident. I'm not sure how to fix that one

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's not suppoed to destroy nearby capital ships - they're a klick away to least. Taht would be one helluva explosion if it could do that.

Granted, I could have played with the spcialExp parameters to create a smaller , but more powerful, instead of a huge, but weaker explosion. I might change that.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

ok, i did the comm thing in mission 1... wierd.

for another egg, might i suggest
Spoiler:
a flyby of a triton, while Raise Your Hands by Bon Jovi plays?

also, still no tags. are you sure the falcon is allowed to have them in the table?

the balance semmed slightly improved. my wingmen lasted another 2 minutes before it was just me and speedy.

do you think, for the first few missions, you could add a small note that you will be flying as alpha 4, etc? especially with the scramble missions.  it was confusing, not knowing who you are.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Heh..I guess I really did overdo it with the AI profiles :P

Maybe I should weaken the AI a bit more...

Adding a note? Why not. I'll add it to the briefing.

You'll almost never flying be as n01 in this campaign...not until the end at least :P

About the TAG thing - I started a new campaign and it worked by me. Honestly, I've been experiencing some strange behavior with weapon loadouts - it's almsot like they're reverting to defaults sometimes wihtout any cause and reason.
I'm testing M8 right now and the loadout keeps reverting to default, even tough the weapon(s) are allowed for the fighter.

Maybe it's the build.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:47:35 am by TrashMan »

well, the only one that i already have that works is... C08062008. That's what i've been using. Ok, i played about 9 more missions, plus the first 4, and:

Spoiler:
These were much better. only a few problems (excluding the grammar, which is slowly, but steadily, declining. IE, mistakes are getting slightly more common. )

The galaxy was missing another texture still, though the turrets work, the one that goes straight down the middle, the length of the ship.

Anyways, the biggest one is loadouts. I'm to the mission were you're in a bomber against the mothballed fleet, and i still only have rockeyes, tempests, HL-9s, ahketons, and prommy Ss. No bombs, nor reaper, nothing.

Also, in a lot of the briefings, the icons are messed up. erm, well, the ships that the show when you click them are messed up. particularily in mission... 3.

And another bug with that mission, heres one i forgot earlier, when you're inside the asteroid... uhm, the rock parts of the wall are invisible. So i can see out through everything except the structures. and i have the VP that i have, with working ship models, renamed to FOW1 and in with the other VPs. I KNOW that model should work.

Also, the Kulas, i noticed in mission 4, has a cruising speed of 87MPS? it's a light fighter, not an interceptor. They're supposed to have medium speed, good manueverability, but the main reason people would have them is that they're crappy enough to be legal. I know that the pirates probably modifed them, but...

and a small personal note of the uglies, it doesn't really make sense to have groups of the EXACT same design. If i could, i would have them all be completely different combinations, to make it more realistic. But, thats not possible from a game standpoint.

Also, all the ships except the perserverance had their default nameplates, IE, GTD Orion and stuff like that.

And the squad logos didn't show up.

And in one mission, the one were you return to the perserverance after  the andropov was destroyed (i think that was the on) Theres a command brief that says <text here> and thats it.

again, i'm pretty sure i forgot some. But, those are

EDIT: Oh, found one more, in the first mission, my perseus seems to be using the stock textures, they're REALLY bad resolution.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:42:24 am by Titan »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Thanks. I'll work on fixing those.

The nameplate things is REALLY strange. I'm using the mediavp's (no models or textures for the ship are extracted) and I can't assign nameplates to them. It's like some completely different model is there (no nameplate in FRED under texture replace at all)

I actually had to extract both the Deimos and the Aeolus + all of their maps before the nameplate appeared in FRED. Weird, weird, weird.

the laodouts in the bombing mission work fine here. I'm using one of the latest nightly builds.

As for the Kulas, the top speed is 70m/s. The AI must be diverting power to engines.

I got rehersals in 15 minutes, but I'll look everything over and update the files when I return. Expect and update (Fix and COTS_C) within a few hours.

ok, i didn't realize that the AI would divert power.

... and i just realized i have been playtesting on very easy, because i attempted to beat the second mission on that the other day, before you updated it.

What build are you using? That way there'll be less of a chance that i catch something you can't fix. just, for the final release, have a note on a reccomended build.  :)

EDIT: You know, i'm probably dead now, i'm supposed to be mission testing for TotT  :nervous:

EDIT2: Could you also maybe add a couple CBs about any new ships and weapons you'll use?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:52:09 am by Titan »

Offline MuaDib

Just finished playing it. I am getting pretty much all the bugs that were mentioned before and one of the gtva fighter models do not appear in the radar at all, or on the screen at very long distances. Also, I can only get it to run on 3.6.10 builds, any 3.6.9 builds do not work. Dont know whether or not that is intentional.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm using the fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081124_r4960 build.

I think I tracked down and fixed nearly everything listed....except the loadout thing. The reaper  cannon is the default weapon for the Thunderbolt - in fact, it's the ONLY weapon it can mount on the first bank.

I'm gonna do some more checking and then upload a fix in one hour.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ok,  I updated the Fix.rar and COTCS_C.rar

Download both files. You will probably need to re-start the campaign for all changes to have effect.

B.t.w - the missing insignia was again a product of a type. Player folder instead of players. The fix should take care of that.

NOTE - the fixes are for the first 11 missions.. I've yet to actually test and fix the later ones (again), but they should work.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:10:24 pm by TrashMan »

well, it let me use HL-9s in that bank.

You're lucky i'm a horrible player.

1: it doesn't make a difference if i take time to check something, i'm gonna lose anyway

2: I tend to cause unwanted things to happen

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, try with this update. B.t.w. - tried calling a support ship?

hm, no, i think i've only used it once so far (only being able to select rockeyes and tempests means i'm not in a big hurry to rearm)

EDIT: OK, i played up to mission 3, and theres good news:

TAG-As=working

Asteroid Interior=working

ship and weapon selection= working
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:17:48 pm by Titan »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Thanks for testing this.
You are really helping a lot - heck, I'll add you to the credits Titan :P

wait, so i've accomplished something? It's a first!

Ok, i can NOT get the first of the darkwolves missions to work with ANY builds. The command briefing works, then when i get to the regular briefing, the game locks up halfway through the text's scroll. It sits for a minute, then gives me the 'unfortunetly, freespace scp *build crap* Has encountered a problem and needs to close.' send or don't send message.

FIX IT PLEASE, I WANNA PLAY! *lunatic*

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Minor bug ... whatever texture the copernicus uses on its engines is either misnamed in the POF or does not exist.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Allrighty.
I'm fixing and improving everything I can and testing it myself. I have done nothing else the whole day :P

I also further made minor tweaks to various ships and stations (better mapping work with normals and shines, more optimized texture usage), new interface art, cbanis' and some other things....so I'm pretty close to re-updating EVERYTHING.

B.t.w. - I sometimes get that same crash on Mission05a, during text scrolling on the briefing. I just start the game again and it works.

Just be patient for a day or two and hopefully the next update could very well be the final one (assuming I don't want to add more easter eggs or crap). It might even include a HTL Sizifus freighter. (If I can finish it in between all the bugsqashing)

That would be the thrustercone texture. It's in there, but for some reason sometimes FS2 doesn't display it.

i've tried it about 7 times though, with a number of different builds. It worked once, then crashed about 2 seconds after the mission's start.

EDIT: Ok, i tried, tried, and tried, it doesn't work. at all.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:31:35 pm by Titan »