Author Topic: Freespace 2 Halo - Let's revive it and finish it!  (Read 60025 times)

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Re: Freespace 2 Halo - Let's revive it and finish it!
I think Diaspora team have something close to a Pilot model in their cockpit xD Maybe they know what to do.

Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob

And to address the use of Spartans and ODSTs, it was in fact envisioned in a very limited fashion. The HEV pods are not out of the question at all, but, as already stated, in a ship-to-ship battle Pelicans would be doing the troop transportation. Pods would be suicide in a space battle. And T-Packs, while a possibility, seem like a fantastic waste of manpower with all the point defense and the inclusion of fightercraft. Also, it would be harder to get a good model for people strapped to packs, let alone get the FS2 engine to make them fly in a believable way through space. Slow moving bees, anyone?  :lol:

Oh ho ho, I just remembered that Covenant have those Assault Boats in Halo 2, those would come handy.

UNSC boarding ships might not be necessary, seeing that Lieutenant Harverson said that a few times UNSC hit the Covenant ships so hard that they are hurt bad enough to surrender, but all they did was initiate self distruct sequence.
---

No there isn't...

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Here here, it would have been a damn shame if this mod died.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Here here, it would have been a damn shame if this mod died.
Seconded, not to mention this project just came back from the graveyard.
---

No there isn't...

Offline starlord

true enough, as sadly, I've seen no interest in the space combat element of HALO, aside from that MOD. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Has there been much opportunity for people to get interested in the space combat element though?

All the official games have been ground based for the most part and much as I enjoyed the first couple of games, banshee combat absolutely sucked in comparison with anything I've played on FS2_Open. It could be that all that is required is for people to see what they are missing. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
Its's a little hard for people to get interested, especially when most of the stuff they see now had been shown before.

BTW, Banshee dont fly properly in space.
---

No there isn't...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well that's kind of my point. Are people not interested in a Halo space game simply because they aren't interested, or is it cause they haven't been shown anything yet that made them interested.

Cause if it's the later, some good PR work could help.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wistler

I think some good videos and screen shots could raise interest, at the moment it seems to be more a conceptual idea which is hard to get excited about.

Offline starlord

I recall one trailer having been made on youtube... (with very nice music).

But I think that is all...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
As far as high-resolution models go, I know a fellow by the name of Ben Harber on X-Plane.org. He happens to be quite a Halo fan (I think he might even work for Bungie now... but I'm not certain.) and has developed several flying Halo aircraft/ships for the X-Plane flight simulator. All of these are quite detailed, and should the project evolve to have ships with virtural cockpits (as FotG and Diaspora will), these models might be useful. Of course, that's only IF you get permission to use them.

Here's an example of his handiwork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6T6R3xIEw

If there's interest in this on this thread, I'll try and get in touch with him.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

i believe the covenant space aircraft was a teardrop shaped **** called a scarab. Seems to me the writers of halo really liked the name scarab, seeing as how they gave it to so many of the vehicles in the game.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
No.  The Covenant space fighter (the Covie counterpart to the Longsword) is called the Seraph.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Wolfy

the name Scarab was only ever given to... the Scarab... Halo 2 and 3s big bad walking machine. There both essentially the same vehicle, just different 'varients' (i think) so they're both Scarabs, in the same way the LAAG, Gauss and Transport varients of the Warthog are all Warthogs.
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
or it could be design varients, like how the phantom in halo1 looks totally diffrent to the phantom in halo3
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
The main reason the scarab changed between Halo 2 and Halo 3 was because the Halo 2 one looked stupid.

Bungie themselves said in the special features of the Legendary Edition of Halo 3 that it looked "like a hand basket with legs." :nod:

Offline Narvi

Aye, so they replaced it with one that had needlepoint for legs.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
or it could be design varients, like how the phantom in halo1 looks totally diffrent to the phantom in halo3

Halo 2 & 3 Covenant transport was called the Phantom.  Halo: CE Covenant Transport was called the Spirit.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
You are talking Seraph Fighters, not Scarab (Assault/Invasion Walker)
---

No there isn't...

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
Spirit? ahh...

what a weird name!
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.