Author Topic: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within  (Read 190339 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within
Read back through everything people said, all the feedback, the download size is insane for what it is.    Package it properly and it'll be a minor fraction of that size.   Your mod is inefficient.

We're not here to do it for you.   

Research and learn how to make a tidy mod pack.
Did Knossos has the ability to do that? I am sure it will.

Then you do not understand knossos.

It only delivers what you give it.   You gave it a mess.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Read back through everything people said, all the feedback, the download size is insane for what it is.    Package it properly and it'll be a minor fraction of that size.   Your mod is inefficient.

We're not here to do it for you.   

Research and learn how to make a tidy mod pack.
Did Knossos has the ability to do that? I am sure it will.

Then you do not understand knossos.

It only delivers what you give it.   You gave it a mess.   
Cleaning up the mess.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You need to understand why it is a mess first.    Cull everything extraneous.   Read everything anyone who has taken the time to offer advice has written.   Digest it and understand it.   

If you don't I can guarantee nobody will want to play anything you release.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

A quote from Nyctaeus just came in mind.

- Fix bugs
- Remove lags
- Fix errors, already told ya how
- Clean ****
- Rework capship command into something useful - Make Raguel faster, firing from that beam faster too
- Rework first mission. Delete 90% of the ships.
- Change all strange names like Red Cock, The Devil's Advocate, Polycephally etc. Find something called Lesser Key of Solomon. Demon names works best for shivans.
- Turret all those turretless ships.

Also, you could use "surface shields" and "Auto Spread Shields"-flags instead of putting shield meshes with 300 polies (which are basically only suitable for fighters) for capship. Recent FSO allows you to specify special impacts as well.
Code: [Select]
$Shields: 15000
 +Auto Spread: 10
 +Spread From LOD: 2
$Shield Color: 100,100,255
$Shield Impact Explosion: ShieldHit

I'd like to claim the latter part of the post. Actually, did you learn something from this or is that another one of your random quotes?

I'm sure there will be still a couple people who play Bryans releases, perhaps even more than if he releases something not outright ridiculous. Sure, that is probably not what Bryan intended, but what happens in the end.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
A quote from Nyctaeus just came in mind.

- Fix bugs
- Remove lags
- Fix errors, already told ya how
- Clean ****
- Rework capship command into something useful - Make Raguel faster, firing from that beam faster too
- Rework first mission. Delete 90% of the ships.
- Change all strange names like Red Cock, The Devil's Advocate, Polycephally etc. Find something called Lesser Key of Solomon. Demon names works best for shivans.
- Turret all those turretless ships.

Also, you could use "surface shields" and "Auto Spread Shields"-flags instead of putting shield meshes with 300 polies (which are basically only suitable for fighters) for capship. Recent FSO allows you to specify special impacts as well.
Code: [Select]
$Shields: 15000
 +Auto Spread: 10
 +Spread From LOD: 2
$Shield Color: 100,100,255
$Shield Impact Explosion: ShieldHit

I'd like to claim the latter part of the post. Actually, did you learn something from this or is that another one of your random quotes?
I learned something from this, not one of my random quotes. From Nyctaeus.

I'm sure there will be still a couple people who play Bryans releases, perhaps even more than if he releases something not outright ridiculous. Sure, that is probably not what Bryan intended, but what happens in the end.
I am aware of it, but I'm glad to fix if anything goes wrong.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The protagonist in this mod is the shivans.

Good there

The Cylons/UIMS

Annnd here you've already derailed.  You can not use the Cylons, which are from the Battlstar Galactica franchise, in the same setting as the Shivans, which are from the FreeSpace franchise.  You should come up with your own name and make enough differences to set the race/faction apart from the Cylons so they parallel, but are not equal.

First, the Cylon/UIMS attack on the now desolate Earth happens, despite Vasudans intervention, after the very last scene of the 2018 mortal engines film.

No, you can not use Mortal Engines as a prequel, it is in a completely different fictional universe and has no place within the FreeSpace universe.

Then, the arrival of the Shivans happens.
Because of these, the Great War happens.

No, you can not name your conflict "The Great War," as it is used to describe all of the events happening within the first FreeSpace game.

We will focus on getting an acceptable conflict before attempting to making anything else.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
we might as well just call this a community mod considering half of HLP is trying to help bryan, slowly guiding him towards the right path of mod creation.

heavy emphasis on "trying"
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
The protagonist in this mod is the shivans.

Good there
I'd love the Shivans being the protagonist.

The Cylons/UIMS

Annnd here you've already derailed.  You can not use the Cylons, which are from the Battlstar Galactica franchise, in the same setting as the Shivans, which are from the FreeSpace franchise.  You should come up with your own name and make enough differences to set the race/faction apart from the Cylons so they parallel, but are not equal.
I think I use the different name for this faction: the Unknown Intellectual Mechanized Species, or UIMS.

First, the Cylon/UIMS attack on the now desolate Earth happens, despite Vasudans intervention, after the very last scene of the 2018 mortal engines film.

No, you can not use Mortal Engines as a prequel, it is in a completely different fictional universe and has no place within the FreeSpace universe.
The Mortal Engines movie (a self-contained story) is local, only on planet Earth. The Terrans nearly wiped out sometime in the 21st and 22nd century in a cataclysmic global conflict, and scientific and technological level have gone down as progress were lost during the war.

Because of these, the Great War happens.

No, you can not name your conflict "The Great War," as it is used to describe all of the events happening within the first FreeSpace game.

We will focus on getting an acceptable conflict before attempting to making anything else.
I think it will be called the war to end the universe.

The reworking of Mission 1 should not be a problem than anybody thinks. I've removed most of the ships because it made it a BoE, though I think it's better to self-destruct most of them.

I haven't released Act 1 and beyond, I think I may have an idea for a sequel. This sequel would focus on the far future GTVA in its own universe. That GTVA will be the protagonist of the sequel.

In that sequel:

First, the GTVA fight against the UIMS and many hostile alien races for years.
Because of these, the New Shivan War happens.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

we might as well just call this a community mod considering half of HLP is trying to help bryan, slowly guiding him towards the right path of mod creation.

z64555 earlier explination is (AFAIK) perfect for a teacher to explain what is takes to be good at storywriting to an interested middleschool student. Galemps explination could probably still work fine for primary school. But this... is Bryan See.

TBH I kinda liked the idea of FSReunited (FS x BSG), the original concept to do so also didn't originate from Bryan (NFSRacer was behind that). I was wondering whether both couldn't be brought into some sort of relationship (what would've required considerable rewriting of both franchises, for example the goal being to prevent the fall of the 12 colonies, and there might have been points to create a balance somewhat similar to UEF (fewer ships but awesome at anti-fighter/and in BSG they can jump everywhere) and GTVA (bigger ships with direct frepower which are restricted to nodes) but without any BP references besides that.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

z64555 earlier explination is (AFAIK) perfect for a teacher to explain what is takes to be good at storywriting to an interested middleschool student. Galemps explination could probably still work fine for primary school. But this... is Bryan See.

TBH I kinda liked the idea of FSReunited (FS x BSG), the original concept to do so also didn't originate from Bryan (NFSRacer was behind that). I was wondering whether both couldn't be brought into some sort of relationship (what would've required considerable rewriting of both franchises, for example the goal being to prevent the fall of the 12 colonies, and there might have been points to create a balance somewhat similar to UEF (fewer ships but awesome at anti-fighter/and in BSG they can jump everywhere) and GTVA (bigger ships with direct frepower which are restricted to nodes) but without any BP references besides that.
FSReunited will be the Shattered Stars spinoff of sorts that focuses on the GTVA's war with the UIMS.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Actually you just said following:

The Mortal Engines movie (a self-contained story) is local, only on planet Earth. The Terrans nearly wiped out sometime in the 21st and 22nd century in a cataclysmic global conflict, and scientific and technological level have gone down as progress were lost during the war.

How could FSReunited be a Shattered Stars spinoff that focuses on the GTVA's war with the UIMS if GTVA is missing the "T" for about 2 centuries.

Offline Strygon

• Steam
I think I use the different name for this faction: the Unknown Intellectual Mechanized Species, or UIMS.

bryan you dolt that's the exact opposite of creating an original faction. the UIMS is already part of starblade.

For God's sake, at least TRY to come up with a name that:

-Isn't used by an already existing faction
-Isn't a minor rewrite of an already existing name
-Is a completely new and unique thing made by you, not anyone else.

Hell, I'd even be willing to help you out with creating names n stuff.

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Why are you all doing this. Stop. Just let the wonderful things happen.

to be fair it is worthwhile to help bryan get shattered stars into a basically functional state so we can actually play it, but the rest of you trying to convince him to write a plot that obeys the logic of this dimension are ruining everything
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
to be fair it is worthwhile to help bryan get shattered stars into a basically functional state so we can actually play it, but the rest of you trying to convince him to write a plot that obeys the logic of this dimension are ruining everything
Agreed.

bryan you dolt that's the exact opposite of creating an original faction. the UIMS is already part of starblade.

For God's sake, at least TRY to come up with a name that:

-Isn't used by an already existing faction
-Isn't a minor rewrite of an already existing name
-Is a completely new and unique thing made by you, not anyone else.

Hell, I'd even be willing to help you out with creating names n stuff.
See the United Earth Federation, whose name is used in the Supreme Commander series of real-time strategy video games. How did Blue Planet use that whereas I cannot?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Strygon

• Steam
Bryan, this isn't a bloody Blue Planet thread, this is the SHATTERED STARS thread. I couldn't give less of a thought about what the BP devs named the factions (not to mention that UEF is an extremely common name for any earth related faction in every sci fi franchise ever), because BP isn't relevant to SS. What matters, is how the factions within, and only within Shattered Stars, are named.

Why are you all doing this. Stop. Just let the wonderful things happen.

QFT. I think there're just many delusional people - myself included - that believe a mod that so far misses everything you'd expect from a sane campaign could be turned into something decent one day. :o

Probably persons just got spoiled by campaign developers who care about bugfixing or others that decided to produce mods for a nearly 20 old game instead of writing and selling their stories as books..

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Can I ask... If Terrans never developed space travel, and the Earth is destroyed before the beginning of the campaign, and the player is not a human... Why should we care anything at all about the Earth or what happens to it?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Can I ask... If Terrans never developed space travel, and the Earth is destroyed before the beginning of the campaign, and the player is not a human... Why should we care anything at all about the Earth or what happens to it?
@Galemp, I answer a question for you.

More than 150,000 years ago, the humanoid UIMS themselves draw the analogy of children murdering their parents, with Number Five saying "But parents have to die. It's the only way children come into their own."

Number Six speaks of humanity's children returning home in the Miniseries.

The children is the UIMS.

And the player is one of them, since the Shivans, like the UIMS, are constructed by another entity.

I'm posting this answer as a courtesy to anyone and for any agreements and disagreements.

EDIT: One clue to the explanation of the subtitle for the first campaign of Shattered Stars, A Deepness Within.

EDIT #2:
Spoiler:
Because of the underperforming of the 2018 Mortal Engines film, everything appeared on the film will be gone by this time of the campaign. This means everything is gone. Tom and Hester are traveling onboard the Jenny Haniver when the UIMS attack on Earth occured. They died. The UIMS then rendered the surface uninhabitable, just like what the Shivan Lucifer did to Vasuda Prime during the Great War.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:04:50 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template