Author Topic: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.2 [CLASSIFIED]  (Read 24947 times)

Re: RELEASE: Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within Teaser Demo v1.0.2 [CLASSIFIED]
This topic is constantly bouncing between "giving advice" and "lololololol", the latter only when the former are ignored completely.

yeach but i told you all he cant made it
but he wont listen
it happening today even a month ago ive told him not to send broken stuff what does he he send broken stuff
3 times
why no ban he eont listen

Offline Aesaar

I'm not calling for the removal of Unicode from FSO I'm calling for the removal of Unicode from Shattered Stars because currently it's too broken to work correctly.
And then don't use Unicode ever? Revert to bitmap fonts? Sounds Trump-style authoritarian Luddism to me.

This project is magical.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Guys, I'm wondering... many of us have been talking about promoting HLP more and really putting the community's best face forward, right?

This is literally the most posted-in topic in the past week, or more. New people see this, what do they see? Chaos. No one person is 100% responsible for this. The project head started the mod, yes, but with near everyone with some say in the community repeatedly expressing (if not shouting) their honest and fervent opinions on this unusual affair, things have gotten out of hand. And they will not get better just by continuing to rant at the project head thus giving him attention and something to keep talking about - thus wasting his time and ours.

Advise simply not posting in this topic until things improve. This advice is not an attack on Bryan See. It is a recognition that things have spiraled out of control; out of control until we all take a step back and maybe return to this topic down the road when tempers have cooled and certain issues have been recognized/fixed by those with the prerogative/responsibility to do so.

TL;DR: keep personal attacks focused on Derek Smart  ;) leave this topic lie, post about other stuff elsewhere and let the issue cool down, fix itself - or fade away if it will.

Well i know what you mean Hope. Actually i even try to play this, even that Mod is totally out of my taste. So i addressed the bugs i have noticed so far.

But yes, i have to say, that i am somewhat very disappointed about the result here.

Even i had doubts about this project from the beginning, because it made the impression that this one lacks any kind of project management and planning whatsoever, i still had the believe, that Bryan See was able to release a working mod after all in time. Yes, i simple ignored the catastrophic status of the "public alpha" in good faith. Because, well... nevertheless of the status of it, he insisted on this release date.

But what is released a few weeks later is nearly identical to the "public alpha" except that the missions were "finished" (hard to tell that actually, but the public alpha missions were indeed in a worse state). But all the errors in the mod package are still the same...

And i have to say... that simple upsets me, because most of the errors are totally unnecessary if this mod was tested with a Debug Build. I mean, Bryan said he tested this mod with Debug builds, but i can not believe it, at least he does not tested that with the same data set he released in the end... in both occasions. Because as i said, the "public alpha" had already the same errors.

And well, it is the same kind of error i encountered as i took over his and wouters Revenge: Final Conflict. That was released as "compatible with 3.8"... and it did not even work because many mission crashed right away as it was not tested at all. So i had my experience with how Bryan See seems to work... and it seems that nothing has changed since then.
But well, have to say that it is a mystery for me, why Bryan See still communicate with woutersmits at all who offend Bryan nearly all the time... that is only another thing i do not understand.

But what is left if i see this mod? Gallows humor unfortunately :(.

But Bryan still insist on his vision, which i appreciate actually and try to support as far as i can. That is the reason why i never had a problem with Derek Smart at all, he also had always a vision with his own universe and defended it by all means.

Regardless of the bad quality of this mod i try to give serious feedback between all the jokes. But well... if i have to explain how to make patches for a mod or to repeat myself what issues this one have, i am not sure, if we players are taken serious, too. Because we are not talking about a new community member here, but about a community member that released models and atleast another mod during all the years... he is no newbie.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:57:05 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Guys, I'm wondering... many of us have been talking about promoting HLP more and really putting the community's best face forward, right?

This is literally the most posted-in topic in the past week, or more. New people see this, what do they see? Chaos. No one person is 100% responsible for this. The project head started the mod, yes, but with near everyone with some say in the community repeatedly expressing (if not shouting) their honest and fervent opinions on this unusual affair, things have gotten out of hand. And they will not get better just by continuing to rant at the project head thus giving him attention and something to keep talking about - thus wasting his time and ours.

Advise simply not posting in this topic until things improve. This advice is not an attack on Bryan See. It is a recognition that things have spiraled out of control; out of control until we all take a step back and maybe return to this topic down the road when tempers have cooled and certain issues have been recognized/fixed by those with the prerogative/responsibility to do so.

TL;DR: keep personal attacks focused on Derek Smart  ;) leave this topic lie, post about other stuff elsewhere and let the issue cool down, fix itself - or fade away if it will.

Well i know what you mean Hope. Actually i even try to play this, even that Mod is totally out of my taste. So i addressed the bugs i have noticed so far.

But yes, i have to say, that i am somewhat very disappointed about the result here.

Even i had doubts about this project from the beginning, because it made the impression that this one lacks any kind of project management and planning whatsoever, i still had the believe, that Bryan See was able to release a working mod after all in time. Yes, i simple ignored the catastrophic status of the "public alpha" in good faith. Because, well... nevertheless of the status of it, he insisted on this release date.

But what is released a few weeks later is nearly identical to the "public alpha" except that the missions were "finished" (hard to tell that actually, but the public alpha missions were indeed in a worse state). But all the errors in the mod package are still the same...

And i have to say... that simple upsets me, because most of the errors are totally unnecessary if this mod was tested with a Debug Build. I mean, Bryan said he tested this mod with Debug builds, but i can not believe it, at least he does not tested that with the same data set he released in the end... in both occasions. Because as i said, the "public alpha" had already the same errors.

And well, it is the same kind of error i encountered as i took over his and wouters Revenge: Final Conflict. That was released as "compatible with 3.8"... and it did not even work because many mission crashed right away as it was not tested at all. So i had my experience with how Bryan See seems to work... and it seems that nothing has changed since then.
But well, have to say that it is a mystery for me, why Bryan See still communicate with woutersmits at all who offend Bryan nearly all the time... that is only another thing i do not understand.

But what is left if i see this mod? Gallows humor unfortunately :(.

But Bryan still insist on his vision, which i appreciate actually and try to support as far as i can. That is the reason why i never had a problem with Derek Smart at all, he also had always a vision with his own universe and defended it by all means.

Regardless of the bad quality of this mod i try to give serious feedback between all the jokes. But well... if i have to explain how to make patches for a mod or to repeat myself what issues this one have, i am not sure, if we players are taken serious, too. Because we are not talking about a new community member here, but about a community member that released models and atleast another mod during all the years... he is no newbie.

QFT

you know, if he just started from scratch and made this mod into a "Super Smash B" / "PS all stars" type Battle royal of all the Freespace and Standalone FS mod universes with just gauntlet missions and no story, (and made stuff actually work) it would not be half terrible. But it does not look like he is going in that direction.

Everything is broken, this thread most of all. Let's just let it calm down huh? for HLP's sake.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Could we save posting space a bit by not quoting whole posts? :P

@Novachen: I can imagine that if this would come from any unexperienced modder other than Bryan See, the community would most deifinitely just swarm around the person, suggesting methods, solutions, improvements and maybe even attempt to fiddle with the mod a bit on their own to fix something.
But the person we're talking about is posting around here for at least several years, with a large portion of these spent on copypasting descriptions of his visionary projects into every topic at hand, bothering SCP team with his visionary concepts for solving stuff. He must have seen huge projects debut, break apart or disappear in eternal silence, but he just ignored it. He definitely both received a lot of suggestions and opinions on his plans, and has been around when many discussions related to big FS mods took place in the public, but he just disregarded everything. The same situation is in this topic, since he completely ignores posts with any critique related to his campaign and skews the meaning of the rest to somehow better fit his view of reality.
Any sentient human being would have learnt. Noticed something.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

If Bryan See would be an 12 year old who just figured out how to place ships in FRED and have them use their beams some people would still think "ha lol look at that guy", I mean this is still the internet. But most people would either help or ignore it. Now he happens to be part of HLP for a long time, and I think Rampage did a hard but in the end objective analysis of Bryans post history here (fitting before, during and post demo release development).

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Well, guys. It's along story, but it's complicated. Yet, I survived through college from 2009 to 2011 and now a university from 2011 to now. Still, I persevered all the time, with the words of a great man which couldn't be more appropriate "Only in winter can you tell which trees are truly green..."

I apologize for my actions here.

I have lots of projects here to make good to recover my reputation. Shattered Stars is one of them. Originally Shattered Stars was meant to be an original mod, independent of FreeSpace. But now it has snowballed into what you call a "Super Smash B" / "PS all stars" type Battle royal of all the Freespace and Standalone FS mod universes (which is unique) with gauntlet missions, but without story and personal substance.

It was my mistake of stone-walling any critique related to his campaign and skews the meaning of the rest. What are the critiques of this teaser demo? What is something I need to address in order to get it into the Highlights section?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:38:46 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It was my mistake of stone-walling any critique related to his campaign and skews the meaning of the rest. What are the critiques of this teaser demo? What is something I need to address in order to get it into the Highlights section?
- Bugs
- Lags
- Errors
- BoEs
- Unplayable capship command
- Strange names
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
- Bugs
- Lags
- Errors
- BoEs
- Strange names
Details? What of turret-less capships such as the Hammerhead (I'm currently working on) and Deltanose? Models?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Of all things, nobody so far (after several pages) has complained about underdetailed ships. Only when they were missing textures or had other bugs.

Could not find index 'Weapon' in type 'HookVariables'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "weapon_hit-sct.tbm - On Weapon Collision"]:188: in main chunk

1: Userdata [HookVariables]
2: String [Weapon]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If you want some specific, actionable feedback, put Shattered Stars into a clean or near-clean FSO directory (i.e. with only the mod folders it is dependent on, like the Media VPs) and run it with a release build. Fix all of the error messages you see. Then, run it with a debug build. Fix all of those error messages. Then, go to the ship lab (F3) and check every model to make sure they all have the textures they're supposed to have and the are no transparent polies, error messages or crashes.

That is the absolute bare minimum level of testing that should have been done before releasing anything.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Of all things, nobody so far (after several pages) has complained about underdetailed ships. Only when they were missing textures or had other bugs.

He didn't author 99.9 percent of them though.  Just badly packaged them.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

ADE Debug:

stack traceback:

Delete weapon_hit-sct.tbm

He actually converted all these UIMS to FSO.

Offline Novachen

• Twitter

Do not focus on this Highlight thing... instead focus on bug fixes of this mod, so that you can play it properly with a Debug Build without any errors. Use the version you uploaded on Knossos for that.

Some mission design flaws were also addressed already...

Maybe you will be highlighted if this mod will work finally without big issues... maybe not. It should not change your priority. As a mod developer it is your main task to release a mod, that can be played properly.

you know, if he just started from scratch and made this mod into a "Super Smash B" / "PS all stars" type Battle royal of all the Freespace and Standalone FS mod universes with just gauntlet missions and no story, (and made stuff actually work) it would not be half terrible. But it does not look like he is going in that direction.

Yes, but the missions are the least problem in this package. "FreeSpace All-Stars" would need a properly balancing... and that is a helluva work between all the universes etc.
If you get rid of all assets except the unique models that were created/converted from the Galaxian universe... maybe it has atleast potential for fan made campaigns that take place in this universe. But i do not know.

I can imagine that if this would come from any unexperienced modder other than Bryan See, the community would most deifinitely just swarm around the person, suggesting methods, solutions, improvements and maybe even attempt to fiddle with the mod a bit on their own to fix something.

Yes, maybe. Maybe not, i mean HLP had this case with Relentless. And that had many mixed reactions. Some helped him, some panned this mod down. So i am not sure what this community would do eight years later. I think it would be the same case here.
But actually, in both cases there was a mod developer, which does not seem to be interested to create and implement any fixes, what make it even more difficult for everybody. It seems, that the work is considered as "it's done, because it's released" even it is not.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:26:12 pm by Novachen »
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
- Bugs
- Lags
- Errors
- BoEs
- Strange names
Details? What of turret-less capships such as the Hammerhead (I'm currently working on) and Deltanose? Models?
- Fix bugs
- Remove lags
- Fix errors, already told ya how
- Clean ****
- Rework capship command into something useful - Make Raguel faster, firing from that beam faster too
- Rework first mission. Delete 90% of the ships.
- Change all strange names like Red Cock, The Devil's Advocate, Polycephally etc. Find something called Lesser Key of Solomon. Demon names works best for shivans.

And yes. Turret all those turretless ships.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Also, you could use "surface shields" and "Auto Spread Shields"-flags instead of putting shield meshes with 300 polies (which are basically only suitable for fighters) for capship. Recent FSO allows you to specify special impacts as well.

Code: [Select]
$Shields: 15000
 +Auto Spread: 10
 +Spread From LOD: 2
$Shield Color: 100,100,255
$Shield Impact Explosion: ShieldHit

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Also, you could use "surface shields" and "Auto Spread Shields"-flags instead of putting shield meshes with 300 polies (which are basically only suitable for fighters) for capship. Recent FSO allows you to specify special impacts as well.

Cool, never know that. So i actually learned something from this thread that is useful for one of my own projects after all  :D

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Cool, never know that. So i actually learned something from this thread that is useful for one of my own projects after all  :D
I eager to try.

- Bugs
- Lags
- Errors
- BoEs
- Strange names
- Fix bugs
- Remove lags
- Fix errors, already told ya how
- Clean ****
- Rework capship command into something useful - Make Raguel faster, firing from that beam faster too
- Rework first mission. Delete 90% of the ships.
- Change all strange names like Red Cock, The Devil's Advocate, Polycephally etc. Find something called Lesser Key of Solomon. Demon names works best for shivans.

And yes. Turret all those turretless ships.
@Nyctaeus, Red Cock is the name of the UIMS fighter in Starblade. But you say it's a strange name for a fighter class. I don't like strange, quirker names. As for demon names, why not Maleficent?

ADE Debug:

stack traceback:

Delete weapon_hit-sct.tbm

He actually converted all these UIMS to FSO.
I converted all these UIMS to FSO as temporary models - models are to be remade as hi-poly ones.

Do not focus on this Highlight thing... instead focus on bug fixes of this mod, so that you can play it properly with a Debug Build without any errors. Use the version you uploaded on Knossos for that.

Some mission design flaws were also addressed already...

Maybe you will be highlighted if this mod will work finally without big issues... maybe not. It should not change your priority. As a mod developer it is your main task to release a mod, that can be played properly.

Yes, but the missions are the least problem in this package. "FreeSpace All-Stars" would need a properly balancing... and that is a helluva work between all the universes etc.
If you get rid of all assets except the unique models that were created/converted from the Galaxian universe... maybe it has atleast potential for fan made campaigns that take place in this universe. But i do not know.

I can imagine that if this would come from any unexperienced modder other than Bryan See, the community would most deifinitely just swarm around the person, suggesting methods, solutions, improvements and maybe even attempt to fiddle with the mod a bit on their own to fix something.

Yes, maybe. Maybe not, i mean HLP had this case with Relentless. And that had many mixed reactions. Some helped him, some panned this mod down. So i am not sure what this community would do eight years later. I think it would be the same case here.
But actually, in both cases there was a mod developer, which does not seem to be interested to create and implement any fixes, what make it even more difficult for everybody. It seems, that the work is considered as "it's done, because it's released" even it is not.
I acknowledged that, and I am now fixing these bugs. I am following the advice of Black Wolf.

I agree that the hypothetical "FreeSpace All-Stars" would need a properly balancing... and that is a helluva work between all the universes etc, if being made. I think there's no precedent for this mod. Instead, an indirect precedent for this mod is a fan-produced Star Trek audio drama entitled Star Trek: The Section 31 Files (take a listen there, except Season 4), where the Temporal Powers, Time Lords, Daleks and Cybermen etc. appear in the episodes. Shattered Stars, conversely, feature the UIMS Cylons, Galaga, Battura, Bosconians and Sadeen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:56:49 pm by Bryan See »

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template