Author Topic: Community and Moderation Standards Discussions (Consolidated)  (Read 9841 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: DRAFT/FEEDBACK - HLP Community and Moderation Standards - Open to 2021/03/06
Redirect; I see two issues on the table.

1. Proposed changes to point 4.  Most recent text from Rhymes, I believe.  Id' like to see more feedback on these re-writes.

Please think before you post. At HLP we strive towards a co-operative, constructive and friendly community. Before you post, go through your post again and ask yourself: "Do I look like a dick for saying things this way?". Remember that on the internet, nobody can read the intent or tone behind your post: They can only read what you put into the post. When reading other people's posts that come across as rude, please also be aware of the hurdles of text-only communication, language barriers and social handicaps. In the event that someone else posts something you find truly objectionable, report it instead of engaging or continuing to engage. If in doubt: Don't escalate. Contact a moderator instead.

2.  A moderation appeal function.  This does essentially already exists in limited fashion - users do retain the ability to PM a moderator or admin.  I don't know if it is possible to implement a system coded into the site itself, that's beyond my technical access level.  This is where some moderator feedback would be good.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Re: DRAFT/FEEDBACK - HLP Community and Moderation Standards - Open to 2021/03/06
I think the rewrite is good

wrt "Moderation appeal" function, honestly no? Y'all already discuss everything internally anyway, and I've seen plenty of cases already, both on this forum and on the forum I moderated myself, that people want to go "Shopping around" for the one moderator that still has enough patience left to hear their case.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well, we could make it clear that as with a court of appeals, asking for people to re-moderate your case might result in a stiffer sentence, not a lighter one. Especially if you don't actually have a good reason to ask and are just doing it in the hope you can re-roll your feign innocence check.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I suppose you could make it clear you get one (1) appeal.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I appeal on grounds of ligma

who the hell are you?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I appeal on grounds of ligma

Leave to appeal granted; new sentence imposed; you lose 1 additional Internet point.

On more serious matters, including a formal statement about appeals may not be a bad idea; as karajorma said, I agree - you can absolutely ask to have the matter reconsidered, but be aware that reconsideration can go either way.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
That's typically how I've seen it done. Seems fair to me.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Re: FINAL DRAFT COMMENT PERIOD - Community and Moderation Standards
PLease get rid of the horrifying double spaces at the start of each sentence

e: Otherwise I like it but there's a big hole around "espousing political views which are not directly attacks on any other user but which implicitly condone discrimination." The ol 'I'm just asking questions' or 'I believe in human biodiversity, let's debate it' or 'have you guys heard about the Dark Enlightenment, I think it's pretty interesting' kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:13:18 pm by General Battuta »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Re: FINAL DRAFT COMMENT PERIOD - Community and Moderation Standards
discrimination/attacks on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc is prohibited.  This list is far from exhaustive.  We do not list every type of toxic and sanctionable behaviour here

I think that covers it. Anyone who posts "Did the holocaust really happen? Just asking?" is going away.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
discrimination/attacks on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc is prohibited.  This list is far from exhaustive.  We do not list every type of toxic and sanctionable behaviour here

I think that covers it. Anyone who posts "Did the holocaust really happen? Just asking?" is going away.
Thank goodness. :)

What about attacks on disabled people such as myself? Are they prohibited?

What about claims that are evidence-free/fact-free and not grounded in reality?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Double space after period.  This is a hill I will die on.  It's adjacent to Fort Oxford Comma.

Bryan, we were not about to list every conceivable form of discrimination, the point is general. If people want to be awful toward those who are different just because they are different, they will be finding a new community to post in.

Fact-free claims are something different and we'll leave mostly to the normal rules of debate. Someone wants to post something demonstrably false, have at it - but don't expect anyone to let it slide.  There will be exceptions from time to time (e.g. spreading coronavirus misinfo as a recent example)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bro are you from 1979? Double spaces only existed as a convention for typewriters. Since typewriters used monospace fonts (same space between every character) you had to indicate the beginning of a new sentence with a double. Computers don't and neither does handwritten writing.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I think it would be good to make a point that references the main idea in this thread:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=75164.0

Something roughly like this: (I'm terrible with words so this is super draft wip)

Here at HLP we encourage constructive modding discussion. People have opinions and no matter what you do some one is not going to like what you have made or done with a mod, artwork, or asset. Take criticism for what it is and try not to make it personnel. Keep in mind it is impossible to make every one happy but it is possible to get a balanced reaction of the community if you view criticism with an open mind. People often have good ideas that you can use, and on the other side; just saying "your mod bad" does not help the creator improve their content, in short: don't escalate a release thread to a flamewar just because you or someone else doesn't like the color of a spaceship's hull.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:22:24 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Bro are you from 1979? Double spaces only existed as a convention for typewriters. Since typewriters used monospace fonts (same space between every character) you had to indicate the beginning of a new sentence with a double. Computers don't and neither does handwritten writing.
I am not.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I think it would be good to make a point that references the main idea in this thread:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=75164.0

Something roughly like this: (I'm terrible with words so this is super draft wip)

Here at HLP we encourage constructive modding discussion. People have opinions and no matter what you do some one is not going to like what you have made or done with a mod, artwork, or asset. Take criticism for what it is and try not to make it personnel. Keep in mind it is impossible to make every one happy but it is possible to get a balanced reaction of the community if you view criticism with an open mind. People often have good ideas that you can use, and on the other side; just saying "your mod bad" does not help the creator improve their content, in short: don't escalate a release thread to a flamewar just because you or someone else doesn't like the color of a spaceship's hull.

I think we can wrap something to this effect into 4:

4.  Please think before you post. We strive towards a co-operative, constructive and friendly community. Nobody can read the intent or tone behind your post; they can only read what you put into the post. When reading other people's posts that come across as rude, please also be aware of the hurdles of text-only communication, language barriers and social handicaps.  Take criticism with an open mind, and use it to improve your work. In the event that someone else posts something you find truly objectionable, report it instead of engaging or continuing to engage. If in doubt: Don't escalate. Contact a moderator instead.

On the lighter side...  I was born well after 1979, still learned to type on a computer and prefer to double-space between sentences, and have every intention to continue doing it now that I know how much it annoys Battuta  :lol:  Maybe I'll triple-space future posts...  :p
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:36:12 pm by MP-Ryan »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
On the lighter side...  I was born well after 1979, still learned to type on a computer and prefer to double-space between sentences, and have every intention to continue doing it now that I know how much it annoys Battuta  :lol:  Maybe I'll triple-space future posts...  :p

Double-spaces are only for FreeSpace missions. I move for a ban on affronts to sensibilities. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I was taught double spaces after full stops in primary school.  I was also told every medium should adhere to the rule.

But I'm also lazy and leave most grammar nowadays to my android phone 😭
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Community and Moderation Standards Discussions (Consolidated)
Okay, after a delay due to my work life being nuts, and a bunch of finagling the forum moderation system to shuffle posts around, the new standards are now posted and in effect.  This topic has been unlocked to allow for any other feedback and commentary going forward.