Author Topic: I have an idea for a campaign  (Read 2835 times)

I have an idea for a campaign
I want to know if something like this has been done before.

The idea is that the GTVA creates a new superdestroyer controlled by an AI system designed to need a minimal crew and be faster and more efficient than a ship controlled by Terran or Vasudan pilots. It also has squadrons of remotely-controlled fighters that can coordinate and work together with amazing effectiveness.

However, during a combat test, the AI goes rogue and kills all of the crew aboard it by venting its atmosphere into space, and then destroys many other GTVA ships before jumping out to an unknown destination.

The campaign focuses on hunting it down, defending ships, stations, and planets from its raids, and finding out why it malfunctioned. (The answer is that they used Shivan computer technology when designing it, and couldn't properly predict its actions). The final battle involves the AI superdestroyer, having stolen the blueprints for Knossos technology, attempting to build and stabilize a node into Shivan space, to cause a new Shivan invasion, and you have to stop it.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Re: I have an idea for a campaign
Sounds a lot like Derelict, if you replace the GTVA superdestroyer with a Lucifer. It even does the same thing of trying to stabilize a node to cause a Shivan invasion.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Sounds a lot like Derelict, if you replace the GTVA superdestroyer with a Lucifer. It even does the same thing of trying to stabilize a node to cause a Shivan invasion.

Ah, guess then I need to work on the concept a bit more...

Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You could instead have had it that one of the scientists that created the AI was recruited from the ranks of former NTF members, a la Project Paperclip, and he's trying to fulfill one of Bosch's other secret plans.  In that way, the Shivans aren't the ones controlling it, his programming is.  Unfortunately, that plot takes a lot from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I had a similar premise years ago, under the Workings of the Warp-umbrella, when the subspace cataclysm that kicked off the main arc of the campaign was still so extensive as to break the entire jump node network: An AI project to create a programm to understand the way the Shivans generate strategic objectives would become rouge and emancipate itself from the GTVA that created it. Running wild through the GTVA fleet and overpowering ships with electronic warfare in order to avoid being captured by its creators.

However in my version it turned out to be effectively benevolent - in essence, while it would not want anything to do with GTVA, as it would strive for an existence not bound to the militaristic objective it was created for - it would also play a role in bridging the gap with the former NTF officer now acting as sort-of liason to the Shivans - as they just wanted the GTVA to get out of the way of real Shivan objective in that scenario.

However, that doesn't factor into anything I do anymore, as I went into a direction regarding the alieness of the Shivans that would make it impossible for their technology to serve as the basis of an AI, e.g. no need of an interace layer to manipulate their technology as they themselves don't have personal individuation (i.e. the concept for the "I" would be absent from their version of the "I think therefor, I am"-argument), which escalated in them no being distinct from their technology in any meaningful way.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Karajorma might remember me mentioning my idea about mission featuring a rogue AI cruiser using ED209 ambient sound.

I did make a mission but it was never going to be polished enough to release. 15 years or so ago.

How time flies 😂😂
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
The idea sounds solid, and hardly any works of fiction are 100 original nowadays since so many things have been done already. So don't feel bad if something like it has been done before. you could distinguish it from Derelict by having the AI ship succeed - although Reunion does something similar.

Just spitballing here, but what if the A.I. succeeded and the Shivans came through... and attacked the A.I. since it wasn't Shivan enough? I know this is basically ripping off one of the Dalek storylines from Dr Who but it might make for an interesting dynamic. Will the A.I. align with the GTVA to face a common foe? Or would it be three-way fighting? Or perhaps... stay with me here... the Shivans align with the GTVA to defeat the A.I. ?  ;7 ;7 ;7

One way you could make it unique from a gameplay perspective is to have the A.I. ships act differently. How about them having full six degrees of freedom movement like in The Babylon Project or Descent? That would probably make fighting them a very different experience. You can get a taste of what that would be like by playing Exile or Ben Cavalgar, both of which have the Shivans pulling off atypical moves, such as circle strafing at point blank range, flipping 180 degrees to fly backward and shoot you in the face if you follow them too long etc.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]