Author Topic: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)  (Read 141150 times)

Re: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)
All FS1 CBs have dates, so it should be very short.

Offline Tyriant

How do the vishnans and vasudans play into act 5 and bp3?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You play as a Vasudan in BP3. With the summed psyche dead or incommunicado (it's very weird and strong so hard to know), Bei's link to the Vishnans becomes very important.

Offline Tyriant

So if bei has a link to the vishnans, and laporte has a link to the shivans, does Nabirasul have a link to anyone?

Offline starlord

Will we encounter in one way or another the great darkness again as in universal truth?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You’ll desperately try to avoid encountering it, yeah.

Offline starlord

is there any action the player will/can take to directly stop it/check it? or to gain if anything a greater understanding of it?

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Kindof seems like probably not, if it has been accurately characterized so far (which admittedly it probably hasnt been due to all the speculation) then its basically the epitome of abstraction, understanding and complexity to the point that it would probably be kindof like a goldfish trying to avoid an encounter with the fish net.  Its doing something so far beyond your ken and has such a huge advantage over you that there really isn't all that much reasonable expectation of actually succeeding at avoiding it for all that long, at least in the grand scheme of things.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah you really don't want to learn more about it.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Me too. I sincerely you guys want us to have a very tiny glimpse of what's ahead.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Me too. I sincerely you guys want us to have a very tiny glimpse of what's ahead.

Well they could just go ahead and post the design docs. Yet they seem to hope that they'll be able to finish atleast parts of it at some future point

Offline Burnb

Was reading the fiction text; could you tell us what the terrible thing the jester foresaw was that occurs within 50 years?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Shivan genocide of the Terran/Vasudan species, iirc.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Not sure if this has been covered before but here goes.

1) How do Shivan's reproduce? Do they breed in the conventional sense, (Insert worrying mental image of Shivan hentai  :shaking: :lol:), parthenogenesis, budding etc?

2) Do they have sexes as we would understand them?

3) How quickly do they grow? Or are they manufactured life forms, as are the Warpers in Subnautica, and start life as a fully formed adult?

4) Do they have a life span?

5)The wiki entries states things such as 'population turnover' and different ship types having divergent populations. Are the ships growing their own crews, similar to how the Rorschach ship/city/thingy grew its own crew of scramblers in Blindsight? 

6) The wiki also states cryptic lines about different macrofauna or morphs in the ships. What are the different morphs like? Are the Shivans we see in the hall fight typical of Shivans, or simply one of the various morphs? Is there even a 'typical' Shivan body plan as we would understand it?

7) How do they create their ships? In one of the 'Morrigan' stories it is stated that 'they coalesce them out of the accretion discs of black holes down a probability gradient' or something similar. Can you explain this a bit please?

8) One last question (promise) you have stated that the Shivans were calculated into existence. Is this similar in principal to a Boltzmann brain?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I remember hearing something about 'probability manipulation' in the accretion belts of black holes in order to synthesize arbitrary objects.  I think that is the shivans principle means of manufacturing more of themselves and their equipment, and is possibly what the 'calculated into existence' line was referring to.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:30:11 pm by QuakeIV »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I remember hearing something about 'probability manipulation' in the accretion belts of black holes in order to synthesize arbitrary objects.  I think that is the shivans principle means of manufacturing more of themselves and their equipment, and is possibly what the 'calculated into existence' line was referring to.

That's what I figured too, but still not sure exactly what that means or how they do it ;-) How do they manipulate probability? Is it something to do with cosmic loaded dice or are they counting celestial cards?  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

It either branches to Bosch's plan for an 'arrangement' with the Shivans (as foreshadowed in FS2, this is very bad for the Vsaudans) or to the BP3 path where the Vishnans are gone (unclear whether temporarily or permanently) and the Shivanpocalypse is on.

Without wanting to fully spoil the whole shebang; what's the tonality of the final canonical ending for Act 5? Or if such a thing can't be said to exist, at least the finale that involves playing to the "end" of the missions?

Both the first and second games outros struck a unique balance between a bleak, somber reflection on the catastrophe of the day, tinged with the narrator's misplaced optimism about some aspect of the future ahead. As FS2 dashes the hope of the FS1 Alpha 1, so too does the UEF War/Shivanpocalypse make Petrarch's enthusiasm for the Delta Serpentis Portal look like Hiram Maxim's ardent belief that the machine gun would make future war impossible.

Is BP ultimately striving for a similar tack in its conclusion? Or a bit more finality? If the eagerness on this thread to learn more about the Great Darkness is any indication of how certain characters in-universe will react to its revelation, maybe cognition itself is doomed  :ick: Though I will say, hearing of some nosy GTVI analyst's unexpected departure from this existence, in the same vein as a certain "bad" ending to BP Act 2, would elicit at least one hearty chortle from me (I can only imagine the head exploding, Scanners-style)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
As FS2 dashes the hope of the FS1 Alpha 1
Did it, though? Nobody in Sol saw any Shivans during FS2, so "not in my lifetime" still held true as of the end of FS2 (and assuming Alpha 1 was still alive, of course).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The branch of the ending that leads to BP3 is basically defiance against a seemingly hopeless apocalypse - you refuse Ken’s bargain, but the Vishnans are out of the picture for now and the Shivans are in full omnicide mode.

Offline AdDur

Isn't any resistance againt Shivans ultimately futile?