Author Topic: Positions Available - How To Join The Diaspora Team  (Read 53644 times)

Re: Positions Available - How To Join The Diaspora Team
What about multi-language support?
I'm not a programer. But I want to do English to Japanese Translation.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We currently don't support other languages but it's kind of a catch-22 thing. We don't add support for East Asian languages because we don't have any translations, and no one translates because we don't have any support for East Asian languages.

If you're interested though, these are the two files we'd need translated. If someone were to translate them, we'd be much more likely to add support.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Garlend

Hello, My name is Sam.

I am not interested in a position with your staff (as I am not worthy.) but I am interested in volunteering to help with this project.
My skills to be honest are very few (to be honest the only programing skill I have is a very light knowledge of HTML, and CSS) and none on the caliber to take on anything that is worthy of Diaspora, but I would still like to help in any way that I can. I would donate to support those of you who have made this game but unfortunately due my economic state I am not in the position to do that either. I am currently trying to teach myself C++, Visual Basic, and any other programing language I can in an attempt to get into game programming in hopes of someday being able to create my own game. I am a huge fan of all things Galactica. I wish I had more to offer but all I have right now that I can contribute is time. I am not looking to beta test, I would like to help out in any other way that I can. If there is any kind of grunt work you need done that can be done over the web let me know and I will do all that I can to help.

Thanks for a great game and all the time you and your staff have put into it.

Sam.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well the best way to help if all you have is time, is to help us test Single and Multiplayer. For instance we have a Release Candidate on the board at the moment but we've got very little feedback at all on it.

It's not so much about beta testing as it is about helping us find bugs in what's already released.

I wanted to poke around the SVN repository and take a look around. The link to that thread no longer works. Any help?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Hey what's up guys! Long time no see, just got finished playing R1 and it was well worth the wait. Thank you!

I don't know if you guys can use it, but I would like to contribute to some of the artwork on Diaspora. I mostly do logos, and concept art. If you guys have the time, please feel free to take a look at my deviant art page at thegreatelk.deviantart.com. It's still a work in progress... but I would love to contribute if I can. Keep up the great work!
Frak.

If you guys are still looking for Modelers for ships I'd be interested, that's basically the only  thing I model on Maya/3ds Max. If you want me to send in some examples let me know.

Cheers

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We'd love to see some examples. Post them on here (or if you can't for some reason, send a PM to Newman as he's head of the art dept.)

Offline newman

Yup, show us what you got, and we'll take it from there. Could always use another pair of hands :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:24:40 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sam32x

Hi, i'm Sam (not the guy above named Sam) I am a high school student in Australia and I have been doing modelling for 3 and a half years and I would like to help if possible. My mid term mark for graphical design was a 14p (the marking system is different in Australia but 14p means 93/100) and I'm pretty decent at modeling but I can't texture and I have heard of UVW but I don't know exactly what it is.
I would show you an example of something I have done but I'm on school holidays for the next 2 weeks and all my work is at school.
I suppose if you send me a picture of something then I can model from that but I don't think I can do anything like a Battlestar or something like the Sabazius.

Offline kirk465

Hiho,

I would really love to join as a Translator and a bit C / C++ Coder and news man I could translate the game and all its followers into German, and announce on german Gaming forums. And could help a bit out with C / C++ coding :)

Signed,
John
Any questions?
Add me on Skype : johnaffen747

Offline newman

Hi, i'm Sam (not the guy above named Sam) I am a high school student in Australia and I have been doing modelling for 3 and a half years and I would like to help if possible. My mid term mark for graphical design was a 14p (the marking system is different in Australia but 14p means 93/100) and I'm pretty decent at modeling but I can't texture and I have heard of UVW but I don't know exactly what it is.
I would show you an example of something I have done but I'm on school holidays for the next 2 weeks and all my work is at school.
I suppose if you send me a picture of something then I can model from that but I don't think I can do anything like a Battlestar or something like the Sabazius.

I'm afraid we can't use you if you can only model, we need people who can uvw map and texture as well, sorry!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sam32x

Ok, we just got zBrush at my school so I will probably be learning to texture next term.

Is the C / C++ Programmers with experience at writing netcode position still a thing you guys are looking for?

I don't have much experience writing game specific networking code, but I did have an internship two years ago that was pretty network code heavy. It was mostly Linux specific c socket programming... but I think I could easily build off of that to get up to speed.

Professionally, I mostly work in C# and PHP on SaaS applications. I've been out of the C++ world for awhile, but it was the language I used heavily in college... It shouldn't take me too long to get into the swing of it again.

If you guys think I'll be a good fit let me know what you're looking for in terms of coding samples and where/who to send them to.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Is the C / C++ Programmers with experience at writing netcode position still a thing you guys are looking for?

Absolutely. Swifty is the head of our coding department. He's the one you need to talk to. That said, you'd probably be working day to day with me more often since I'm the closest Diaspora has to a network coder at the moment.

What we really need is a rather large overhaul of the network code. It's not really gotten any love for the last 14 years or so. But just having a coder willing to tinker and see where the biggest problems with it are would be helpful. The code is actually freely available. You can find details on how to check out the code here. So rather than ask for code samples, we prefer to just give a new coder access and an idea of a few things we need help with. Generally I just tell people to take a look at Mantis, pick an easy bug and get to work on it. Swifty might want to do things differently though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:39:00 pm by karajorma »

Offline Crias

Not sure if you guys still need modelers but I've been working with blender for over 7 years and have been featured on the front page of Foundation3d and Scifi meshes. I'm incredibly keen to join this team. I thought I might post a few pictures of some stuff I've been working on today on my deviant art account. It's still very rough but it's the only BSG themed modeling I've worked on before. Polished works can be found on my DA. http://crias.deviantart.com/gallery/48099878 Please email me if you think I can contribute in any way :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We badly need modellers. It's always been the major hold up this project has.

I'll let Newman and the art department see what they think of your work. Do you have anything textured you can show us? It doesn't need to be BSG related.

Offline Crias

I sure do. Just flick though my DA gallery.  Probably the best display of my texturing ability would be in my stargate pictures.

crias.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
UV mapping experience is really the big thing. To be blunt we've had plenty of people who can make great models but couldn't finish various assets since they weren't able to UV map. Even worse we've also had people who finished plenty of ships but then didn't upload them in a format to be converted...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock