Author Topic: EA Ground Forces WIPs  (Read 13660 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Now, this may utterly shock you, but Inferno is NOT dead! We're at work renovating the missions, for up-to-date FREDding and a greatly increased dose of awesome. We MIGHT release in 2015, but making promises on Inferno release dates has turned out to be a futile affair.

Any feedback on these WiP EA ground units?

The Hecatoncheir is a battle hovertank, bristling with guns for anti-ground and anti-air work. Well-tested in the Jovian war, they now spearhead the EA's offensive on the GTVA capital world of Janus.

The Arx is an EA prefabricated planetary base. Deployed across the EA's conquests, it provides EA frontline forces with C3I support and a squadron's worth of strikecraft support.
(Update: Gave it an edge-split modifier so the smoothing doesn't suck.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:09:40 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: EA Ground Forces WIPs
I like the gun design on the tank, but it doesn't feel like a tank.  It feels like an artillery placement.

The base also has good design points, but also feels like its elevated side is flimsy.  Is it part of a hillside?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Somebody else on the internal already told me to make the tank flatter and more tank-y. Rest assured, that shall be done.

Good point on the side of the base. It's freestanding, so I'll fiddle with that part some more.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Vrets

Ground forces? Will Inferno have atmospheric missions?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Ground forces? Will Inferno have atmospheric missions?

Now it does. And we've got some plans . . . :)

BTW, would anyone be interested in a series of background fiction teasers setting the stage for the campaign itself?

Offline Vrets

I'm interested.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The current Hoplite should be made into a static gun emplacement. As a tank, it just looks bizzare.

Offline Zarax

I'd suggest looking into battletech for nice design inspirations...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'm interested in the fiction teasers as well!

Offline CT27

I'm certainly interested in Inferno story material.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
First piece is coming on Monday. (I have to set myself deadlines, or I'd hardly get anything done.)

And the Hoplite still isn't tank-y enough, I get it. :p Will fiddle with it some more.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Updated the Hoplite. Hope it looks sufficiently tank-y, and that I can start adding detail now without having to heavily alter the structure again because I later learn that it sucks. I like it better as a hovertank, but does anyone think it would be better as a conventional treaded tank?

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
That thing on the side should be on the back, IMO.

Also, hover is better than treaded because to make the tank not look like a mere prop you'll need to move the tracks. No tracks, no problem.
Also, it's the spaceship and interstellar travel era. Tracks are so last century.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Zarax

I think the main problem is with the asymmetric hull and unproportionally big turret which makes it look more like a fixed emplacement than a tank.
It's not matter of tracks or not, it's a tank so it must look rugged and practical, with a design that should minimize its profile against enemy weapons.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I suck at designing tanks, I get the point. I've turned this project over to The Dagger, who will hopefully produce a tank more to your liking.

Offline Vrets

Wait! Maybe it's the Jagdtiger of EA tanks. Its heavy shielding, armor, and firepower tell "minimize-your-target-profile" to go fvck itself.

Quote from: EA tank designers
A: should we even be designing tanks? They are hopelessly vulnerable from land, air, and space.
B: we were told to design tanks! I don't give a ****! Give it a huge turret that can blast enemy cities into dust from 200km away!
A: well-
B: And it must have a massive repulsor-lift chassis! This god damn tank is going to hover over the grand canyon!
A: I guess we could do that. Screw it, we have the budget. This is EARTH.

edit: wait, I have more

it's a tank so it must look rugged and practical,

Well, the Hoplite is the product of the same people who built the Lindos. There was probably a similar discussion when the Lindos was being designed: "they want a ship with an emphasis on alpha shock attacks...I want literally every weapon facing forward! If we run out of space, glue more guns onto sticks and have them protrude violently from the hull! I don't give it a **** if it's structurally unwise, we'll just build more!"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:39:24 pm by Vrets »

Offline Zarax

You do know that even the mighty Jagdtiger used camouflage and hull down tactics?
Although your argument might have ground if taken on a different perspective.

What if instead of a tank you classify it as a mobile hover fortress?
A cross of Dark Reign Sky Fortress and the mighty interwar landship designs:

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/11/118253/2268670-sky_fortress.png
http://www.bronetehnika.narod.ru/heavy_proekt/t39_5.gif

Lepanto, if you're interested I can provide you inspirational concepts at will.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks, Zarax. The new design should perhaps be more to your liking. (It can't be TOO big, though, as I have a very specific mission role in mind that requires it to fit through a hangarbay...)

Still happy to receive inspirational concepts though, as I have the feeling it'll need another redesign or two before it's satisfactory.

Offline Zarax

The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ahaha yes that looks much better!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================