Author Topic: Yet again more stuff...  (Read 12537 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Yet again more stuff...
New thrusters this time.

Click here to download.

EDIT: Forgot the modified aurora.
DOWNLOAD!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:40:25 pm by 944 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Will this work without the Babylon mod?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Yes.
But it was made specifically FOR the B5 mod.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What's up with that background?  Whatever it is, its causing the planet to get a black outline.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Deepblue, finally you have actually hit the bull's eye. Can you please try to do your best in updating all R2 thruster effects? I am sure there is room for improvement. As far as I can remember, we're still using R2 thruster effects at the moment...

Please leave the weapon effects for now, I don't want you to do it for nothing since we have Lightspeed working on them. Lets look at the weapons effects issue again when we're actually looking at what Lightspeed has managed to pull off. Thank you.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Wow, I like those thruster effects :yes:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Cool....very close to what is seen in the show.... :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
:yes: From me too.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I did all the thrusters already. BTW the "Kestrel" should have blue engines and the crew shuttle should have yellow engines.
Oh yeah, and the crew shuttle needs to be resized. In one of the season 4 episodes, a psi crew shuttle had 4 black omegas attached to the bottom at once. With the current size you could only fit one.

One more thing. The aurora really needs glowmaps for its engines.

BTW I'm glad you like them.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yeah and in one of the episiodes we see Whitestar carrying several fighters, making it bigger than it should have been.
Inconsistencies we have all seen. Crew shuttle in my opinion is good as is.

Deepblue, looking at sizes of the thruster effects. Shouldn't the sizes be 512x512 and 256x256 instead of 500x500 and 250x250?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 02:11:18 pm by 173 »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hmm, does it matter? I use nice round numbers because its easier to center things using a grid in graphics programs.

As far as the shuttle goes... I'll just resize it myself then...
;)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
For maps, it's always best to use powers of 2 for map dimensions, because of the way memory addressing is done (I think that's how you say it).  Basically, if you make it 512 by 512, then your computer will allocate enough memory space to accomodate a 512 by 512 image.  But if you make it 513 by 513, then it'll treat it as if it was 1024 by 1024, preventing that much extra texture space in your video card's RAM, from being used for other textures.  Its for efficiency.  If you remember Lightspeed & co.'s hi-res fighter maps, part of that ongoing project is to resize the maps for these fighters to be powers of 2 in their dimensions, though from what I hear, something like 512 by 1024 is alright too.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Originally posted by Deepblue
Hmm, does it matter? I use nice round numbers because its easier to center things using a grid in graphics programs.

As far as the shuttle goes... I'll just resize it myself then...
;)

You should always use powers of 2. Otherwise there's a possibility of rescaling them, depending on a lot of factors.

Also, any effect sized 512x512 is an overkill. That equals 1MB of memory. And we have memory problems as it is. 256x256 is the top limit we use.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yep. I've already resized the effects to 256x256 and blank maps to 128x128. Since they're blank, they probably could be even smaller.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Dude, those glows look just right. Nice background, too. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Thanks for the info, I'll go ahead and resize mine and you can do the same to yours easily. And again, thanks for the feedback

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
Yep. I've already resized the effects to 256x256 and blank maps to 128x128. Since they're blank, they probably could be even smaller.

64x64 is what I resized them to. I actually tried to do some fancy stuff with manual secondaries and rays, but in practice it didnt look good so I made them blank. The SCPers should really think about getting rid of those maps altogether and making it so that the game displays the glow all the time, but when it is at optimum viewing angle it should render like the original glows thus getting rid of the annoying intersections we have to currently deal with. Plus it would help with memory usage. Less effects to load.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
64x64. That's... small! Isn't that overkill. Or should that be underkill. Well you get the idea. I'm concerned we've gone from too big to too small now. Great effect anyway. Love it to pieces.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Originally posted by IPAndrews
64x64. That's... small! Isn't that overkill. Or should that be underkill. Well you get the idea. I'm concerned we've gone from too big to too small now. Great effect anyway. Love it to pieces.

I think he's talking about the glow maps.

I don't even understand why they exist. Blank glow maps do absolutely nothing.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Very nice :)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi