Author Topic: Fred help  (Read 2702 times)

Offline rcrph

wow.It's been a verrrry long time since I've played with Fred.  I't seems that on fred_open r I can only have 2 wings ???  Also I can't seem to use the wav. files that I used with the original FS. Not to mention that old pilot images aren't accessible. I'm using fred2 open 3.6.5. Is there a different version that I should use & if so where ??  thx for helping a B5 newbie.
Better living through chemistry

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
wow.It's been a verrrry long time since I've played with Fred. I't seems that on fred_open r I can only have 2 wings ???

what do you mean with "2 wings"? can you only place up to 12 objects or is there bug coming when you create the 2nd wing?

Also I can't seem to use the wav. files that I used with the original FS.

how do you used them?
please give more detail when posting such thing I've you want something to be done...

Not to mention that old pilot images aren't accessible. 

TBP has new ones... use these:
fighters:
pilota.ani; pilot_{race's name in capital letters}.ani (eg. pilot_EA.ani or pilot_MINBARI.ani)
capship:
capcomm_{race's or role's name}.ani (eg. capcomm_NARN.ani or capcomm_Morden.ani)
logos:
logo_{race's or institution's name}.ani (eg. logo_ea.ani or logo_isn.ani)

I'm using fred2 open 3.6.5. Is there a different version that I should use & if so where ?? 

with the 3.3a patch a lot of builds come along... all of them are 3.6.7 - this should help
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:52:37 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Slasher

The latest versions of the FS2 and FRED2 executables are available on this forum.  Check the "CVS Builds" sticky thread at the top for the very latest files.  Unfortunately, threads from the past few days or so have gone to Sector 14 (they've vanished) so if you're looking for a build posted that recently you may have to do a little link hunting.  I myself generally don't download the very latest versions as they come out so someone else will have to tell you which are stable and up to running TBP, assuming you don't figure out through your own experimentation. 

I can't think of what would be limiting you to only placing two wings in FRED2.  Can you post what kind of error message you're getting, if any?

As for the wave files, if you're referring to the voice overs from vanilla FreeSpace 2 then those are kept in a .vp file that is installed with FS2 and doesn't come with TBP.  The Babylon Project comes with its own wingman personas and default message sound files instead.  If you want to use one of FreeSpace 2's voice files in your mission you can always extract it from the appropriate .vp file with VPView and put it in the data/voice/special directory of your TBP folder. 

Like 0rph3u5 said, TBP comes with its own comm animations to replace the ones used in FS2 and these have different filenames.  If the Search function was working I could dredge up the old filename-image list, but it's not. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The CVS builds thread does contain the latest executables. I made sure of that earlier :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline rcrph

wow. I don't know diddly.  I have a file folder "images" that you could use to place images of the player pilot.  Those images don't appear when you look at your pilot stats.

As for the wav. files, I had a folder labeled special under sounds for explosions, alarms etc.  These will play when you browse the editor, but not so in-game.

When using fred you can create (or could) group fighters in wings and then give the wing orders instead of each ship.  For some unknown reason, my fred only limits me to giving orders (such as when to appear) to only 2 wings.

However, I will try the other fred builds that you refer to.  Which build is best for B5 ?

thx again for your help.
Better living through chemistry

Offline Slasher

The TBP specific specific images that you could assign to your pilot(s) weren't included in any build after 2.0 for reasons that are unknown to me.  It's possible whoever packaged subsequent builds simply overlooked them.

I'm not quite sure I understand what kind of sound files you're looking for.  Are you looking for ones that correspond with a message in a mission or a sound effect?  In order for a .wav file to be played in conjunction with a message in-game, you've got to have the message set up correctly in FRED2 and have the file in either your data/voice/special directory of your TBP folder or in an appropriately structured .vp file.  FRED2 will play just about any wave file you want provided you point it in the right direction, however the game will only play files stored in the proper directories.

As for the problem with assigning orders, I don't know what could be going on.  Maybe someone has heard of this bug before?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's a new one on me but then again I dumped 3.6.5 a long time ago. That build is over a year old.

Go to the SCP Forum >> Recent Builds subforum  >> CVS Builds thread and download the latest CVS build from there. Be warned that if you do use a modern build of FRED you'll also need a modern build of FS2_Open in order to play so you should grab the most recent version of that too.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I wouldn't advise playing TBP with any build newer than 2006/01/09.  Follow Kara's instructions, but instead of downloading, copy the file address, paste it into your browser location bar and delete everything from the right back to "latest/" and go there.  Then, find the folder for January2006, and go there, and find a build with the above-stated date (in its name).  Ignore the inferno builds.  "Optimized" or "P4" builds are configured for better performance under more advanced CPUs, so you may want to grab those.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What was added then that causes  problems out of interest?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
What was added then that causes  problems out of interest?

Multipart turrets are screwed up in all builds after 2006/01/09.. Thats the reason. Its not apparent with normal weapons but with swarms (burst) cannons its clearly visible and very problematic.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It also effecs type4 beams on multi-part turrets.  In addition, any build after this also has an IFF issue in FRED.  The window in the ships editor says one thing, but it's realy another.  A "Hostile" ship will be displayed as "Friendly" in the ships editor.  Everything is completely out of whack on that.  You can still FRED missions if you remember the pattern, but it gets confusing for anyone not familiar.  Goob has fixed it, but no builds have been released with the fix as of yet, and that still leaves the turret issue.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!