Author Topic: Black Omega Psi Abilities Mission Template  (Read 3348 times)

Black Omega Psi Abilities Mission Template
Hi!

I don't know if anyone has already created something like this, but I managed to integrate telepathic / telekinetic player abilities into the game. This is not a programming alteration, it simply uses the "Events" section in FRED2 to give you the abilities to perform telepathic jamming (actually it is just temporary stealth), Psi Armor (temporary invulnerability) and Mind Control (turn an enemy to your side). The mission is in the attachment, just make sure you read the readme file for compatibility issues.

Note: Since I've noticed that people who download usually download from the first entry, this one to be exact, I've replaced the outdated initial version that was here previously with the latest version. It is far more functional and streamlined, and it is rebalanced to give more Psi Energy. An older version can still be found below (look for the post with the two attachments, it is the upper one.

Below you can find the two final releases of the mission (At least I hope them to be final). The PSIFury_MCFixed_Final is the final release in which Psi Control drains Psi Energy and can be toggled on and off (It is not permanent once you apply it to a controllable enemy ship).

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:52:34 am by F22Lightning2 »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Black Omega Psi Abilities Mission Template
Neat...

just three things:

a) Why don't use 1,2,3? - Those keys have no impact on single player (they are the chat controlls for multi)

b) "No Psi-energy meter" - Custom HUD Gauges are bound to come up for TBP some time in the future (AFAIK they are already in the new sets of the FS_Open engine)

c) you are using an aweful lot of every-time; I'm not quite sure if that's really good... Did you read this?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Because 1, 2 and 3 are wingman commands, so if you assign them, you will be turning your Psi abilities on and off every time you issue wingman commands.

In my experience, it is best to use the most painless commands. Q is equalize shields in FS2_Open, and in TBP there are no shields. R is target closest enemy, which is exactly what you might want to do after becoming invulnerable (Psi Armor). And A is increase throttle, which is already bound to your throttle/mouse wheel.

And as far as every-time is concerned, I've taken a look at the link, and I must say that the game needs to wait and listen for commands all the time, because commands can come at any time. The only place where a simple when would be better is the mind control command detection. That can be triggered only once per enemy ship for the duration of the entire mission, but I used every time because I wanted failed mind control attempts too, but decided against that in the end.

Besides, I am a very unskilled programmer who rarely takes a look at the forums and internet in general. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:02:04 am by F22Lightning2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And as far as every-time is concerned, I've taken a look at the link, and I must say that the game needs to wait and listen for commands all the time, because commands can come at any time.

There's no reason When with a repeat count wouldn't be able to do that.

It's not a big issue that you used every-time in this mission but repeating When is more powerful in certain cases so it makes no sense to artificially limit yourself in future missions.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Because 1, 2 and 3 are wingman commands, so if you assign them, you will be turning your Psi abilities on and off every time you issue wingman commands.

No you won't - the keypress SEXP doesn't accept 1/2/3/4 presses when you're in the wingman menu. Those are definitely the go-to keys.

Yay!! Thanks for making that clear. Now I can reassign the buttons and maybe even add another ability. Thanks a thousand times! I'm still trying to understand that with When with repeat, but this is simply great. I'd never even have thought about that with the wingman menu.

And as far as my clumsy programming goes, you are dealing with a programmer whose highest reaches before this were editing .xml files...

Hmmm... this is weird. I've tried it, and activating an ability using a number key makes it go on and off all the time... maybe I just need to rewrite the whole script...

OK, I've found the best solution I can find. I've assigned the Psi abilities to the cursor keys; they normally control shield quadrant augmentation, but there are no shields in TBP, so they can be used for whatever purpose needed. Thanks for all your help, guys.

I have added one new function, toggle Psi Reflexes. The new (and hopefully final) version of the mission template is in the attachment.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:59:16 am by F22Lightning2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Be warned that using the key-pressed SEXPs is one of the times when you should be using Every-time rather than When. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've used the default keys since the Freespace 1 demo. I'd be miffed if while accellerating my "Special powers" kicked off :/
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I've checked the file, and found the when mistakes, they were in the Psi Jamming section. Thank you for the warning. As far as the keys go, you should download the PSIFury Final Version 3, available just below. I've moved the keys to the cursor keys instead of the commands because the cursor keys, although they have no effect in TBP, are still read by the FS2_Open engine. Just to mention: Up Arrow = Mind Control, Left Arrow = Psi Jamming, Right Arrow = Psi Armor, Down Arrow = Slow Motion (it's called "Focusing Responses", press again to toggle). I've also added "Psi Levels Nominal" and "Psi Levels Critical" warning messages for when your Psi energy is recharged or near depletion.

I've just added what I hope to be the final version of the mission template. The file is just below, PSIFury_Final_Fixed.rar. The only change is that I removed the "Focusing Psi Recuperation" message, as it would repeat itself if more than one ability was active at the moment of Psi Energy depletion. I've left the old version too, but honestly, I believe that the "Psi Level Critical" message is enough of a reminder that PSi Energy is low and wil be recharging in a few seconds.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:44:14 am by F22Lightning2 »

Offline wesp5

Just to mention: Up Arrow = Mind Control, Left Arrow = Psi Jamming, Right Arrow = Psi Armor, Down Arrow = Slow Motion (it's called "Focusing Responses", press again to toggle).

I just tested you demo mission and it seems to go fine with 3.6.12 and Zathras 2.0. I didn't check the Jamming and Armor, but the Mind Control and Focusing worked great :)!

Offline Slasher

Very cool, I've always wondered when someone would implement a perks or special abilities feature for the player and this fits within the context of the B5 universe.  Definitely could prove useful in the future.