Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 908293 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
There's no political point to it. You don't sterilize a place you're trying to capture intact and control. It's a dumb idea.

Actually that's the perfect reason to do just that.

That's a dumb statement.

If you mean "OCCUPY" as in captive population then that's a different kettle of fish. But you didn't say it.

What's your regiment btw "manwiththemaxhinegun"?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:19:27 am by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline crizza

Besides, the Fedayeen wanted to bomb Delta Serpentis with antimatter bombs. Not sure if they meant the station at the gate or the actual planet :D

It raises the risk of retaliation in kind, and it's an afterthought. We know the NTF committed acts of genocide against the Vasudan people, and yet both the Vasudan and Terrans of the GTVA in FS2 explicitly state they will follow the rules of war of BETAC.

Cheating those rules is a thing that happens in war, you have SOC conducting assassinations in the like. But a magic chemical attack on a planet with several billion people is not going to get suppressed in its information. It would trigger exactly the kind of civil unrest and turmoil the GTVA is terrified of.

It's not a military reference, but a musical one if you're curious.

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this,
but can I use BP with the new MediaVPs 3.8.1 or do I need exactly the 2014 release?

Offline CT27

There's no political point to it. You don't sterilize a place you're trying to capture intact and control. It's a dumb idea.

Wasn't the original plan of the GTVA to basically hold beam cannons to the UEF's head (Earth) and say "surrender now"?

There's a big difference between pulling the trigger and threatening to pull the trigger. That's the entire basis of our own nuclear weapons theory.

If needed, worst case, specific military bases or cities could be nuked, forcing capitulation. In reality, very very few governments wouldn't surrender if given an ultimatum like that with no ability to counter.

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this,
but can I use BP with the new MediaVPs 3.8.1 or do I need exactly the 2014 release?

I believe I asked and they're not used in BP as of yet.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Wasn't the original plan of the GTVA to basically hold beam cannons to the UEF's head (Earth) and say "surrender now"?

The GTVA's reasoning was (a) their show of force would be so overwhelmingly terrifying that (in their calculation) it was extremely unlikely the UEF would call their bluff and (b) since they would already be in position, the issue would become moot before anyone had time to think about what the Tevs just did. And whatever happens, MORPHEUS must proceed, no matter the consequences. These calculations could be entirely wrong, and thanks to the Vishnans we will never know if they were or not, but those are the ones they made. Once their initial gambit fell through there would no longer be an opportunity to make such a threat without immediate, catastrophic political consequences, and it would be much more likely the UEF would ignore it and fight to the bitter end. At this point, glassing cities would make the UEF less likely to surrender.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Thats kindof a good point about glassing cities, honestly as far as I know they mainly don't contribute that much industry anymore (a lot of it is giant masses of machinery) so blowing people up would quite possibly only serve to piss them off.

Offline crizza

Apart from third fleet, nothing was combat ready, if I remember correctly.
So they could've jumped the HQs and massacre the gunline... now that's an idea for a nightmare mission :D

Basically if you're going to fight a war of extermination, you better go ALL THE WAY. Because if anyone survives, you can expect a generational jihad the likes of which will make you wish you never tried.

But it's academic, since the GTVA isn't fighting a war of extermination. At least intentionally. Accidents (and falling rocks) can happen. But one of the GTVA's main goals is the acquisition of Earth's resources and science/manufacturing centers.

Idle thought, has there been any thought on what happens next in the story?
Stardust, the Sword of Vengeance[A starship combat addict]

Offline crizza

If the outro is any indication, we should see the big assault of Steele.

We play as Nabirasul, aka the Jester.

Also this
Requiescat in pace

Offline crizza

Hard to believe that the Emperors confidant and advisor is a fighterjockey in the civil war :D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:03:55 pm by crizza »

Hard to believe that the Emperors confidant and advisor is a fighterjockey in the civil war :D

Aliens be alien. What makes sense to a human and a vasudan are clearly different.

• Steel learns about Cassandra
  • He starts to act like a shivan to counter the Fedayeen
  • The final battle at earth starts earlier than predicted

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

We play as Nabirasul, aka the Jester.

Also this

And then thousands of years after that, an epilogue that helps answer questions raised in Blue Planet. Among many questions will be answered in the epilogue is what if there was a time before the Shivans, and what happened to the first life in the universe, the children of the dawn.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

While you can make your own stories out of that as you like, I'd presume that the BP team has their own idea how these questions would be solved...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Nabirasul doesn't show up until after the last two acts of BP2 (he's the BP3 protagonist).