Author Topic: New Eyecandy Thread  (Read 844426 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oho, looks like some good Shivan designs there.

We've seen some pretty good Shivan designs in the past few years. The Harpy may be old, but it certainly has a Shivan feel to it. As for the Ashtur, I'm not so sure. The front is Mara-ish, and the midsection reminds me of the Dragon, but the back seems a bit too curvy to be very Shivan.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline peterv

The Harpy is very good despite that it's  low - poly looks.  :yes:

The Ashtur on the other hand could be a great cruiser, provided that we are looking it's rear. This the first think i thought. And then i noticed the guns.  :doubt:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Ashtur's textures look to much like blood and not enough like, well, real, mechanical, shivan. The detail's pretty nonexistent and what detail there is, is generic.

The Harpy's? I don't mind but the look somewhat low resolution.

Or did you want feedback on the models? :nervous:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Harpy textures are still the original OTT ones.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The new HTL Ashtur and Harpy are quite an upgrade to their low-poly cousins and appear much more impressive in-game.  Although I personally am not a fan of the blood-red textures, there is little we can do right now to change them as we lack talented texture artists (calling all texture artists).

Here's another HTL model; discuss:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 09:48:51 pm by Rampage »

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Holy ****, Inferno is still alive :O

That fighter looks neat, but the red "streaks" are kinda blurry.
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

OMFGWTFAOLBBQBATMAN!!!!!11114111-MicroPsycho

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
The Harpy reminds me of the old Hydra, the Shivan scout ship, and the Ashtur of the old Serpent. They would look more awesome with a bit more polies and texture resolution.
Same with the fighter (Mantis?) above. Great models overall.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Those textures are atrocious along the spine. Oh god the stretching and the pixellation.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That is one awesome looking fighter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Looks pretty good.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Harpy reminds me of the old Hydra, the Shivan scout ship, and the Ashtur of the old Serpent.
Well expect to see those again at some point...

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The SF Mantis, now HTL, looks more insectoid with miniature spines protruding from its sides and armor plating on its dorsum.  The bottom, just like that of many arthropods, is soft and unprotected (too bad we can't program this in-game).  :p

Each Shivan fighter we have HTLed are over 1.2K even when not triangulated.  And I have to agree that since many of our textures are not updated to higher resolutions, they suppress much of the details of the new HTL models, but this is what we'll have to deal with until we get some steady texture artists (aka - we need texture artists!)

No project can be 100% perfect, and since you rarely look at a Shivan fighter face-to-face in-game, we may just avoid that texture problem for now.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
No project can be 100% perfect, and since you rarely look at a Shivan fighter face-to-face in-game, we may just avoid that texture problem for now.
Well, I for one from time to time open the tech room and just drool over the models...
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Droid803

That doesn't even look like a texture resolution issue.
That looks like you grabbed a texture that doesn't fit its UV map and smeared it on.

I don't think UVmapping a ship to fit a specific texture that isn't made for it is good practice, as chances are, parts of it won't fit right, there'll be stretching/distortion due to well, the base geometry of the model and the texture's intended model having differences.

That, or the UVmapping is just plain bad but seeing as the stretching is on the friggin easiest face to align (heck, you could just planar align Z it, I don't think that's the case...)

But yeah, what's the point of having shiny new ships if they're not intended to even be looked at from up close? What's the point of making it high poly?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:18:26 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well that is the ships original texture, and it's only 512*512

Offline Droid803

Oh hm...it might be the resolution then.
Can't you just blow it up to like 1024x1024 then draw over it if that's all the issue is?
(´・ω・`)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Eventually yes, but we don't have the texturing staff right now to keep up with the current model upgrades.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Which would be a good reason for texturers to pop up and offer their help.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Like we said previously, it would be preferred for us to make brand new high-res textures for every one of our new HTL models, but we simply do not have the manpower to do so.  In fact, we are at the nadir of understaffing as of now than ever.

So as for now, a smear job of a low-res texture on a HTL model is the best we can do.  But then again like you guys mentioned, a smear is still just a smear.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Inferno? Understaffed for texture artists? Whatever happened to FSK?