My very first release-worthy campaign, Renegade Resurgence
is going through a major update/facelift. Not only do I plan to make it compatible with the 4.4 MediaVPs and the mid-March nightly FSO builds, I already made a lot of changes to the missions. Basically, I'm revising the whole thing from the perspective as an adult and a more experienced FREDder. The campaign was written in 2002 when I was sixteen (!) and when I released it in 2004, I was barely 18 (in the process of doing my graduate exams). Now, a tiiiiiny little bit later, I'm going through all the missions and get things done right.
As of this moment, this is the changelog:
- The campaign will run through uninterrupted, without error messages or warnings, with the MediaVPs 4.4x and the March 14, 2021 nightly build
- Use of Lightspeed's nebula backgrounds instead of the upgraded retail ones
- Lots and lots of changes to the missions. Some received a major rework, others simply received a facelift to make them feel less like something FREDded by a teenager in the mid-2000s.
There were mandatory bugfixes, too, but my biggest aim was to make the campaign more fun to play (instructions less confusing, useful advice from fellow wingmen/Command, etc).
- The campaign's "Battle of Endor
" mission, "Twilight" will be rebuilt from the ground up.
- In-mission messages give more direction to the player about what needs to be done/what targets to prioritize/how to use new weapons, etc.
- The story was rewritten so as to stop calling the new enemy the NTF-Hammer of Light alliance, considering the ideology of the Neo-Terra would make such an alliance impossible. Through the campaign, they are now referred to as "renegades" or "the splinter group."
- Renaming the GTGs Antwerpen
to GTGs Antwerp
- Changes to overpowered weapons
- Inclusion of the 74th Predators and the 122nd Gemini squadron logos that were accidentally not included in the original v1.1 release
- More flexible use of the escort list to clarify which ships a relevant in the current situation.
- Pilot banter dialog sequences and briefings have gone through a major overhaul in most places. All the immature/outlandish dialogs were rewritten. Also, there's a lot less yelling!! in the messages.
- The Boanerges's additional primary slot was removed to make it ever compatible with future MediaVP updates.
Special thanks to Novachen for the MediaVP 4.0 update. Her work spared me a lot of time and trouble, allowing me to concentrate on the missions instead of worrying about table files and such.
Release will come this March or early April. No, not on April 1st as a joke.