Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 573375 times)

Had another spot of griefing on the server.  I found the usual, holes in walls next to locked doors, etc.  Oddly the sod had nicked half of the wool carpet from near the top of my tower and then deposited it in the nether (after punching out some of the windows in the new nether base).  Thats the damage I found (and fixed) but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more. 
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I found the usual, holes in walls next to locked doors, etc.

I never understood the point of locked doors anyway. Everybody knows that a lock is only as good as it's door, a door is only as good as it's wall, etc. The only people locked doors keep out are the honorable, non-malicious folks. It's a classic example of the adage, "If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns."
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
I'll be keeping an eye on the server console for the next few hours, if anyone finds any griefing, just yell in all caps and I should see it. Also the server console is derp, so my lack of grammar is due to the console just throwing away all punctuation.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
I never understood the point of locked doors anyway. Everybody knows that a lock is only as good as it's door, a door is only as good as it's wall, etc. The only people locked doors keep out are the honorable, non-malicious folks.
While I do agree that a locked door is useless unless the supporting walls are either protected or made of bedrock, I do think that they do have a purpose as a notification that the owner of the door doesn't want anyone wandering around in the area past the door, especially since signs stating as such are easily missed.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline -Sara-

Joined Minecraft as "Saratje". :)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:42:17 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Shade

Welcome to the madness :D
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Le Sigh.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
I never understood the point of locked doors anyway. Everybody knows that a lock is only as good as it's door, a door is only as good as it's wall, etc. The only people locked doors keep out are the honorable, non-malicious folks.
While I do agree that a locked door is useless unless the supporting walls are either protected or made of bedrock, I do think that they do have a purpose as a notification that the owner of the door doesn't want anyone wandering around in the area past the door, especially since signs stating as such are easily missed.
It still doesn't stop some people... I for one don't use locked doors much, especially not where it leads to dangerous places. :rolleyes:

Offline -Sara-

It still doesn't stop some people... I for one don't use locked doors much, especially not where it leads to dangerous places. :rolleyes:

If a door is locked I'd stop trying to enter myself, on a small server of friends it'd get a message across I think. I've seen a few youtube vids where signs read "STAY OUT" and where if the player does not walk a specific path on presure tiles, they get spammed with arrows from a dispenser device. :P Another led to a fake chest which when opened (I guess presure plate or something redstony?) made TNT under it go off.

Le Sigh.

Hrmm?
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Maybe those are tactics that we should start employing those tactics. :lol:
Personally I don't think the griefer problem is that big yet, but that might just be because I haven't been effected yet.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Miners of a nervous disposition do not view the linked picture I am Not scared
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Creepers on the server have been nerfed for too long. I'm more afraid of skeletons now. :lol:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Shame allocators aren't SMP-compatible yet. You'll never guess who I ran into in one of the allocator threads the other week... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Fascinating things...

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
NEWS JUST IN
MINECRAFT ON KINECT
HAVE FUN CONSOLE GAMERS.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

IT WORKS!  [insert mad cackling here]

Also, if anybody was planning to ask me to borrow some steel, you've missed your opportunity, as I seem to have mysteriously run out.

So I did make a final aesthetic revision to the lock, after all that talk of lapis lazuli blocks.

Then, I went on to start on the interior of one of the domes.  A theatre!

Seating for thirty-seven!

The daytime view through the dome is pretty stunning to boot.

...  It's stunning, until the bugs arrive, anyway.

And finally, backstage....

Oh, and the name?  The Jack Niven Memorial Theatre!  Why?  Because when I think theatrics, I think of a man hounding you to blow up a spacebus full of civilians (presumably on their way to the theatre--you can't prove me wrong!).

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Question, what server are you playing together?
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

Offline Shade

There are two. One is linked in the first post of this topic, and info for the other was posted by pecenipicek some pages back.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.