Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 580265 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Riiight... One day we saw you join the server and decided, "Hey, you know what would be fun? lets never let anything spawn for Grimper!"...

o.O you act like I'm the newbie here...you realise I've been at HLP 4 years compared to your 11 months? I don't see the need for such attitude, all my arguments have been civil and well researched. Unless you can come up with the same I don't see the point in complaining about me. It's really not that hard to present facts and solid evidence against someones case...unless there is no evidence against to present of course.

If you can't keep calm and civil about this, put it into PMs instead of flooding the thread with trash.

Want to compare numbers? Fine. Hows my 300+ posts to your 230. Hows my being in 2 projects to your none. Don't go comparing things that have nothing to do with minecraft in a minecraft argument, as you said, keep it civil.

And on the server, you are the new guy.

I am not the only one who is tired of your constant complaints that something is broken when it is not. It has been brought up in-game before, and special measures have been taken to try and get you to calm down (squid cull anyone?). Nothing more can be done beyond hope for 1.0 and you are not helping things.

Also, stop comparing the server to single player. It is simply not, and any comparisons to it are not facts.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Okay...before this goes any further, let's tone it down a notch here.  It should be fairly self-evident that there is something wonky about how hostile mobs spawn on the server as a whole.  Grimper and I were standing next to the Fenris grinder for a good 5-10 minutes earlier tonight, after we had gone down and checked out the setup down there, and not a single monster was drawn up into it; on any normal SP map, there would have been a constant stream of stuff getting killed there.  TrashMan's certainly not imagining the hordes of Endermen that keep screwing up his stuff, and Grimper's spawner is twice the size of the Fenris one yet flat-out doesn't produce anything.

It's still up in the air what causes this behavior, whether it's just the 1.8 mob-spawning code versus the new 1.0 code, or something about the server setup/plugins, or some combination of the two.  But I see absolutely nothing productive about saying something like, "Stop mentioning it, it's not going away."  If it's a matter of needing the new spawning code, then that's easy enough.  If the behavior remains the same after the upgrade is taken care of, then I think it's at least worth looking into whether it's something that can be resolved.  It's not like the issue will go away if we plug our ears and pretend it's not there.

(And it went further before I could even get this written.  Fantastic.)

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Okay...before this goes any further, let's tone it down a notch here.  It should be fairly self-evident that there is something wonky about how hostile mobs spawn on the server as a whole.  Grimper and I were standing next to the Fenris grinder for a good 5-10 minutes earlier tonight, after we had gone down and checked out the setup down there, and not a single monster was drawn up into it; on any normal SP map, there would have been a constant stream of stuff getting killed there.  TrashMan's certainly not imagining the hordes of Endermen that keep screwing up his stuff, and Grimper's spawner is twice the size of the Fenris one yet flat-out doesn't produce anything.

It's still up in the air what causes this behavior, whether it's just the 1.8 mob-spawning code versus the new 1.0 code, or something about the server setup/plugins, or some combination of the two.  But I see absolutely nothing productive about saying something like, "Stop mentioning it, it's not going away."  If it's a matter of needing the new spawning code, then that's easy enough.  If the behavior remains the same after the upgrade is taken care of, then I think it's at least worth looking into whether it's something that can be resolved.  It's not like the issue will go away if we plug our ears and pretend it's not there.

(And it went further before I could even get this written.  Fantastic.)

SinglePlayer is not SMP and never will be, the spawning code is different.

Unfortunetly, saying "leave it alone it isn't going to change" is the best that can be done (1.0 excluded). We have wiped the server of passive mobs that dont 'despawn', and the code isn't exactly open to change on the fly. New spawning code is -not- easy enough (1.0 excluded, again).

I am fully aware that it will not just go away, however Gimper is making a lot of noise and doing nothing to try and solve it, on top of only really complaining to others who are annoyed with his complaints and also cant solve it.

EDIT: Perhaps the fact that Fenris station -needed- a spawner to get that 'constant supply' of mobs you see in SP will convince the both of you that such comparisons are not good ones to make.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
I am fully aware that it will not just go away, however Gimper is making a lot of noise and doing nothing to try and solve it

Guess you forgot about the suggestions I've made in the server, none of which have been tried yet. The most likely one to fix it is increasing the chunk unloading radius. At the moment chunks unload before a player moves far enough away for the hostile mobs in it to despawn, keeping them in there. Warping is also a probable cause, since that would instantly unload the chunks.

You can check the numbers here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn
Do a bit of math and you can see that mobs arn't going to be able to despawn all the time with the current chunk radius.
I forget what the current chunk radius is for the server, but it's lower than the 128 blocks you need to get from a mob before it instantly despawns.

Anyway, that should hopefully clear things up, no need to continue bickering over this.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:31:36 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

Together since the world began, the madman and the lover.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
oh jesus christ, I'm aware mobs are broken, you just keep repeating the fact that they are. If you've got any actual solutions, I'd be happy to listen to them and try and impliment them. in order to combate the problem, I have already disabled squid spawning (last time I checked they didn't despawn and took up all the mob allocations. hence the 1 ink sac = 3 diamonds thing) I believe the new mob code was actually in 1.8, you can certainly get over 300 mobs at once. Besides, time on HLP should have nothing to do with how well respected you should be, hell, it shouldn't even need to be mentioned.

Once again: aware of problem, stop complaining it won't help (even though it is rather annoying) and suggest how to fix if at all possible.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
DERP DERP DERP, didn't see last grimper post, chunk radius is greater than 128 blocks. Sorry bout rant. :(
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft
xD no problem. Rants don't insult me, they just make me lulz.

So anyway if chunk radius isn't the problem I'll pitch the question in the MCF forums again, see if any other solution comes up. Least we know everyone is aware the problem exists now. Very, very aware.

EDIT: Btw, is there any server information you can give me that might help with troubleshooting? Like what plugins are installed and what settings you use etc. Although I'll wait till after we update to 1.0, since as that contains bugfixes the problem may go away.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:22:14 am by Grimper »
When Australia burned.

"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Now that the love has been returned to this thread, I propose that a friendship statue be built at the spawn. Perhaps a 100 foot tall pair of breasts..... ;7
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Now that the love has been returned to this thread, I propose that a friendship statue be built at the spawn. Perhaps a 100 foot tall pair of breasts..... ;7

Or an eighty foot tall penis
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Or an eighty foot tall penis

:ha:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have no idea why mobs "love" me so. Lord knows I hate them.

But honestly Gimper, you constant complaning has been...tiresome.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I am fully aware that it will not just go away, however Gimper is making a lot of noise and doing nothing to try and solve it
Guess you forgot about the suggestions I've made in the server, none of which have been tried yet. The most likely one to fix it is increasing the chunk unloading radius. At the moment chunks unload before a player moves far enough away for the hostile mobs in it to despawn, keeping them in there. Warping is also a probable cause, since that would instantly unload the chunks.

Didn't forget. You made the suggestions on the server 4-6 weeks ago, to qaz, and after a bit of debate found those werent the problem.

However, on the topic of chunk load distance, if we are not anywhere near the data cap, can we get one more chunk? Far is 9 (9x16 = 144) and It'd be nice to see all of Fenris at once (from center at least). It would mean about a 25% increace in chunk traffic, but net speed hasnt really been a problem so far.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
hmm, I'll take a look at it, the problem is that loading more chunks needs higher IO speed, which seems to be the limiting factor at the moment.

Offline Grimper

• Minecraft

Meh doesn't matter if no one likes me for it. I've managed to get the issue looked at again and now it's common knowledge, which will speed the process to it being fixed. You'll be thanking me for it when people's creative mode time is up and you go back to survival and limited resources.
Change isn't brought about by people sticking their heads in the sand.
When Australia burned.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Meh doesn't matter if no one likes me for it. I've managed to get the issue looked at again and now it's common knowledge, which will speed the process to it being fixed. You'll be thanking me for it when people's creative mode time is up and you go back to survival and limited resources.
Change isn't brought about by people sticking their heads in the sand.

This has been common knowlage, and the fact is common knowlage should have been a duh moment right there. Besides the fact you are the only one complaining about it, the fact that, like last time, there is still no solution, you're kinda screwed here. Getting the server to just work with 1.0 and all the plugins is (and should be) a higher priority then the petty mob problems just so you can make a silly grinder because you wont go out and hunt anything. And since people are banking on 1.0 solving it... Ya, all this work, all for nothing.

Offline -Sara-

Let's just hunt Sandwiched and make him drop 2x bread and 1x steak every time he dies. :D
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Let's just hunt Sandwiched and make him drop 2x bread and 1x steak every time he dies. :D

But he has so much lag, you'd have to run 5 blocks past him, swing, and hope you ran far enough to actually hit him. Then again, it sounds like an interesting sport... hmm...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What we really need is Setekh in there.  Steak 4 all!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What's the big deal over some mob thingy anyways?
"No"

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
What's the big deal over some mob thingy anyways?

Basicly, a grinder is something that spawns a ton of mobs, kills them, and puts all their loot in one location for easy pick up. For hours on end, or however long you stay there.