Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82802 times)

Offline rhx123

Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
The underside is well lit, so we don't have any mob problems at the moment.
Unfortunately, I noticed darkrevenantx and blastyoboots had diverted erasai's railway through lava, thus resulting in someone getting killed and loosing their stuff.
I request those two users could pm me and explain why.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Oh wow it took you the better part of the month to notice.  I almost forgot about that...

Which reminds me, seeing how long it would take to notice was our original plan.

Also, I'll donate a chest of smoothstone to the fenris as repayment if you want it.

Offline rhx123

I didn't notice, but my mate did when he rode a cart in and lost a ton of stuff. Sure its ok now, and I think erasai never plays on there anymore, it was just someone exploring.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Also, I'll donate a chest of smoothstone to the fenris as repayment if you want it.
Mind throwing in any extra (char)coal you have lying around?

Also, I guess I never really explained plainly what the tree farm was really for at basecamp. See, I knew we'd be needing to smelt tons of cobble. For those of you who don't know, logs (not planks) can be smelted into charcoal, which is the same as coal. Therefore, the tree farm = infinite smelting capability.

Ahh, but trees grow too slowly, you say? That's where the mob grinder plays its secondary role - infinite bone supply. Bones can be crafted into bonemeal, and bonemeal can instantly grow saplings into trees*.

* When tree growth is triggered by application of bonemeal (or when the game decides it's time to grow the sapling), a potential tree size and shape is randomly generated. If the potential trunk blocks would occupy any space already occupied by another block, the tree is not actually grown. This is why it can take numerous applications of bonemeal on a sapling before it actually grows into a tree.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:44:33 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Yeah, it's probably just Minecraft.
Notchcode strikes again!
* When tree growth is triggered by application of bonemeal (or when the game decides it's time to grow the sapling), a potential tree size and shape is randomly generated. If the potential trunk blocks would occupy any space already occupied by another block, the tree is not actually grown. This is why it can take numerous applications of bonemeal on a sapling before it actually grows into a tree.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to harvest trees one at a time then?(or at least in a pattern where they won't overlap) This would prevent bonemeal being wasted on a "bad" tree gen.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:08:05 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wouldn't it be more efficient to harvest trees one at a time then?(or at least in a pattern where they won't overlap) This would prevent bonemeal being wasted on a "bad" tree gen.

Indeed it would, but it really depends what the priorities are. In our case, we have essentially unlimited bonemeal, and need lots of coal. Also, I expect nobody wants to spend any more time than they have to growing and cutting down trees, so having them in an easily-manageable, compact area where they can't grow tall enough to become epic trees (due to the glass blocks placed 7 meters above them) is important too.

If your supply of bonemeal is limited, you want to maximize the ROI of each piece, and you have time to spend running between individual trees, then by all means, make a tree farm where the trees are separated by a space of 6 blocks or so in all directions and have at it. :p

EDIT: I should also probably mention that having the trees grown up against each other like we have them reduces the number of saplings considerably, since they fall from leaf blocks, which are now shared between the trees. Instead of a standalone tree having around 50 leaf blocks, each tree in our farm only "has" 10 or so. I find that this prevents the over-abundance of saplings that one would normally get from a farm consisting of standalone trees... indeed, at times, it seems like the tree farm pattern we currently have comes close to not dropping enough saplings to fully replant. :p
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:25:25 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
My special way is to die and respawn. :lol:

Edit: I tried to work on the Fenris, specifically level 30 of the schematics... but what I've done doesn't quite fit with level 31. :confused:

Just to clarify, is level 31 the very top level? XD
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:21:53 am by Pred the Penguin »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, but the top 2 lines of pixels on the side view graphic had to be merged due to the inability to place blocks at the highest layer in MC. More precisely, the next-to-top line of pixels is where I had to cap off the Fenris.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Yeah, but the top 2 lines of pixels on the side view graphic had to be merged due to the inability to place blocks at the highest layer in MC. More precisely, the next-to-top line of pixels is where I had to cap off the Fenris.
I still have no idea what I did wrong then. Someone who understands the schematics needs to go take a look methinks...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WE made a lot of progress with the Fenris today. It's starting to shape up :)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I wish I could see it. :( Perhaps later tonight I'll be able to connect.

...without the dynmap enabled, I can't even peek... or even chat! :'(

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Proof of Progress:

I think it looks better at night personaly
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:03:21 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You guys are quite insane.

(nice panorama btw)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's a good thing you don't have to worry about the structural integrity of that framing. :D

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Ahhh... i see I did do something wrong. At least it's been corrected.

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
what level are crew quarters going to be on?

what level are crew quarters going to be on?

Well, if it's true to the Fenris in FreeSpace, the crew quarters will compose the outermost layer of the hull on all levels, in lieu of fitting the ship with armor.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You guys are quite insane.

(nice panorama btw)

Possibly...
I spent the entire afternoon building that Fenris skeleton.....you'd think an inventory choke full of smoothstone would last you a while. But no.
The Fenris is friggin MASSIVE.

Sci-fi and games always seem to do a poor job of showing the true scale of things....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
You did an awesome job, TrashMan. :yes:

I'd like to reiterate here in case anyone missed it elsewhere: the levels in the graphics I provided do not necessarily correspond to internal decks. It's possible that many decks will indeed correspond to these levels, but it's also possible that we'll want to adjust deck spacing entirely... perhaps to leave room between decks for redstone wiring or something. Thus, let's not fill in any more decks just yet. Best to stick with internal scaffolding for now.

Additionally, I'd highly recommend that we only use the smoothstone for the outer hull, and use a "temporary" material that's easy to remove, such as dirt, for the inner walkways (what's already done is done - I'm talking about in the future).

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=13893 maor proof

BTW, the reason I placed the screenshot tower where I did was because the entire length of the Fenris was inside the max viewing distance from that point. :p The engines at the rear of the ship are cut off in your screenshot. :p

Here's 2 shots from the screenshot tower:

June 13th:

June 19th:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:54:31 am by Sandwich »