Author Topic: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project  (Read 23309 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Re: Re: Not-so-secret Secret Project
Shadwos are great but on my spec, the mesh vanished sometimes.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I guess polycount will now matter really hard. 8 FPS instead of 90 in the beginnign of BP2 intro. Even if this is an early stage of development, I'm afraid i'd have to turn off nearly everything except shadows if I wanted do have them at reasonable quality. Will look nice on vids though :(

its a problem that was going to crop up at some point. shadows are a fantastic advancmeant for the fso engine. but with the detail that the comunity puts into the ships and assets they create we will see allot of these frame drops

it really is a pity multi core would require pritty much rebuilding the engine

This is shadows version 0.3 people. Based on Valathil's comments in IRC, he's still just trying to get everything working reliably. I'm sure optimization of the effect will come after that.

Also, BP2 Intro is a really bad example to give. Unoptimized models plus this sort of effect is going to produce dead frame rates without a doubt.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
do you think that with other shaders enabled the FPS drops more than now?
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Do the subspace missions have a primary light source in them, or do they just rely on ambient light? Not having a sun might be doing something nasty to the shadow system... :nervous:

And, actually, I get about the same frame rates from the BP2 intro, shadows or no shadows... when the camera zooms to the big furball towards Jupiter, frame rates drop to about 10 anyways. That's likely because my system is heavily CPU/memory bus bottleneck limited; the GPU can deal with the shadows, the slowdowns in my end are caused by other stuff.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Do the subspace missions have a primary light source in them, or do they just rely on ambient light? Not having a sun might be doing something nasty to the shadow system... :nervous:
IIRC, you always need to have at least one sun in a mish. There should be a sun at the end of the subspace tunnel.

Also, randomly, I can't seriously believe it. Self-shadowing = outstanding. Ships shadowing each other = wait wat how

What is this sorcery.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I guess polycount will now matter really hard. 8 FPS instead of 90 in the beginnign of BP2 intro. Even if this is an early stage of development, I'm afraid i'd have to turn off nearly everything except shadows if I wanted do have them at reasonable quality. Will look nice on vids though :(

What if we added support for using a lower LOD for shadow map generation? I have no idea how possible that is (Valathil would have to answer), but it would allow some tradeoff between shadow fidelity and performance. Basically, get less detailed shadows (but that render faster).

Offline Luis Dias

What if we added support for using a lower LOD for shadow map generation? I have no idea how possible that is (Valathil would have to answer), but it would allow some tradeoff between shadow fidelity and performance. Basically, get less detailed shadows (but that render faster).

This would only work on shadows between ships. Self-shadowing would create massive errors.

Anyways, it's a massive point in FSO history. Graphic cards will only get better, and now FSO is ready for what the future might bring to it. When this feature gets integrated into a more stable version, I must show it to some of my friends. And I'm betting that it will spawn a new age of interested people as well.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This would only work on shadows between ships. Self-shadowing would create massive errors.

Unless you have experience getting shadows to work.. I suggest leaving these distinctions to Valathil...

Offline Luis Dias

mjn, it's basic geometrical deduction, for which I'm more than qualified thank you very much. If you make a shadow map of a LOD1 and imprint it on a LOD0, you'll get every single detail of LOD0 that isn't on LOD1 wrong in its shadowing, creating a mess of an image. I'm sure that Valathil will agree with me.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Shadows in FSO. We truly live in great times.
Next they'll announce motion blur or a build that makes beer pour from the screen and I wouldn't be surprised.

Where do I send the poet?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
it really is a pity multi core would require pritty much rebuilding the engine
This has pretty much nothing to do the with CPU.  Shadows are almost completely exclusively limited by the GPU.

IIRC, you always need to have at least one sun in a mish. There should be a sun at the end of the subspace tunnel.
There is usually two suns in a subspace mission, one at each end of the tunnel, so that you get the sunglare/whiteout when you look down the tunnel.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Kolgena

I didn't have much time to test the build, but I get the same dark ships when I go into the tech room.

Performance is pretty abysmal all around (WiH intro is 2-3 fps down from 20-30), but I have a ****ty 3650 so I wasn't expecting much. The good news is, the shadows are working, unlike thruster distortions.

Quick Q: Is there any optimization implemented at all yet? Like, LOD's, culling, and any other magic that would keep my game playable with shadows on? :P (Please say no, because then there is still hope for me)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Valathil.

This man.  This man deserves a medal.  I need a general, or an admiral, someone of rank, quick.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
**** protocol either way, I'm making this a news post at some point. :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Valathil.

This man.  This man deserves a medal.  I need a general, or an admiral, someone of rank, quick.

Ooh ooh I'm a commodore in FS1!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
http://youtu.be/8E3a_RL2XkE?hd=1

Geomod next?

Very impressive.

Other than the tech room wonkiness, it works in game pretty well with minimal framerate impact on my system.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:51:15 am by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Geeze.. it's amazing what shadows do to add realism to the look of the game...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One thing that should be noted is that, at the moment, shadows are rendered into a 4096 by 4096 rendertarget. Which gives great quality, but is also much, much larger than is sensible.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Skarab

Might there be a way to eventually set up a "shadow quality" type of slider in the launcher, or using another method?  I ask because on my own system, there is minimal impact on performance.  Others with lower end hardware would certainly benefit with something less than the 4096*4096 you mention, but those of us with more powerful hardware might be just fine the way it is now, optimizations notwithstanding.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is definitely going to happen; but as has been said quite a few times, this is the first working implementation. The one that will get into trunk eventually will be faster and more configurable.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns