Author Topic: Where'd the rest of my lasers go?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline CaptJosh

Where'd the rest of my lasers go?
Not sure if this is a bug or a mission script error, so I decided to post it here...

When playing FS2 Main campain on SCP, using the 12/29/05 build and 3.6.7 media VPs, I found mysely flying a Myrmidon with only a single Laser bank showing in "The Romans Blunder". The Myrmidon has two banks with a total of 6 laser cannon fired and I'm thinking this is probably a FREDing error. I did sotice something similar in at least one training mission, but having six subach lasers in training might make shooting down those target drones a little too easy.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Where'd the rest of my lasers go?
It's a code bug (been there a week or two) but I haven't tracked it down yet.  I know pretty much when it started but I'm not 100% sure why.  It has something to do with default primary weapons.  The Myrmidon is supposed to have one PrometheusR and one Subach but if the Prom isn't available in the mission then you are stuck with one bank rather than having two banks of Subach.  I think that calling in a support ship brings the other primary bank back though, with the extra Subach.

Offline CaptJosh

Negative. I called in the support ship to reload missiles in that mission and I didn't get my other subach back. Just the depleted missiles.

EDIT: Also, I don't see why I can't go to the loadout screen before going ofter the Iceni in "The Romans Blunder". Doesn't make sense to me. It's not like it's a scramble mission. They give you the wrong coordinates anyway.
CaptJosh

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
It is a scramble mission. I cursed it many times in vanilla FS when I had to go out with useless toothpicks like the tempest...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline CaptJosh

What's the point of it being a scramble? They send you to the wrong place anyway.
CaptJosh

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
The point was that the mission was urgent. And as your squadleader said, that "your loadout has allready been cofigured so get the hell out there!" He had no idea that command had provided you with wrong coordinates. Nor did anyone else on that ship for that matter, other than possibly command staff...

Equipping the weapons on a fighter takes time. Time they had not because the goal was to intercept the Iceni before it could jump. Thus sending preloaded fighters is perfectly locical.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline CaptJosh

Then the mission should be scripted to ignore the the default loadout of the Myrmidon and just give you both gun slots with Subach lasers. IIRC, this is how it's set up in Retail. I should test to make sure, though.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Then the mission should be scripted to ignore the the default loadout of the Myrmidon and just give you both gun slots with Subach lasers. IIRC, this is how it's set up in Retail. I should test to make sure, though.

It's exactly the same mission as retail. :rolleyes: The only difference you'll see in a media.vp mission is the addition of custom nameplates and that's not even in the 3.6.7 ones! 3.6.7 doesn't contain any edited missions. You're playing the exact same mission you'd be playing with retail.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

So this is yet another bug left over from retail. Lovely. It's enough to make me want to try learning how to FRED.
CaptJosh

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not a bug from retail at all. Taylor's already explain that new bug in FS2_Open.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CaptJosh

Hey, someone else said it did the same thing in Retail. Though I do need to check that, because I seem to remember having more lasers in Retail.

EDIT: I was right. Retail gives you Subachs in both gun slots. I didn't think it sounded right about it doing the same thing in retail.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 09:51:41 am by CaptJosh »
CaptJosh

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes. I ment that it's a scramble mission in retail. Not that you are missing weapons in retail...  :nod:

Offline CaptJosh

I've been operating on too litlle sleep of late, due to staying up until 0300 talking with my sweethearth online. I wouldn't do so except she lives in Melbourne, Australia, while I'm in Kentucky. Anyway, due to the lack of sleep, it's not all that surprising that I misread that.
CaptJosh

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Code bug should be fixed now so check that it's working properly again in the next CVS build.  It was just a parsing problem introduced in early December and could cause issues for both the main campaign and for mods.

Offline CaptJosh

I'll let you know as soon as someone makes a new CVS build. I don't have the tools to make a build myself, or I'd check now.
CaptJosh

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It's a code bug (been there a week or two) but I haven't tracked it down yet. I know pretty much when it started but I'm not 100% sure why. It has something to do with default primary weapons. The Myrmidon is supposed to have one PrometheusR and one Subach but if the Prom isn't available in the mission then you are stuck with one bank rather than having two banks of Subach. I think that calling in a support ship brings the other primary bank back though, with the extra Subach.

I usually see it in D3D, and not in OGL. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta