Author Topic: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread  (Read 18264 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
3.6.8-Gamma media thread
Same drill as the patch thread - post improvements, bugs, or additions here.

Right now I've got-
Taylor's DDS textures/effects
SFr Dis
GTB Ursa
SCv Moloch (But I don't think the version I have is the _final_ version)

Stuff that isn't done:
CP mentioned something about the subsystems on the Orion being out of place
The Vasudan Gas Miner's LODs are different enough from the LOD0 version that the engine thrusters are out of place.
Merging taylor's fixed-Deimos engines with the Deimos currently in the mediaVPs.
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Re: 3.6.8-Gamma media thread
Edit: bah, I need to read properly :/
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I can do the engine merge late tonight (though I'll have to dig up taylor's fixed-Deimos) as that should be totally trivial.  The one that worries me is the Anuket; if the LOD is out of position, as seemed to be the initial prognosis, I'm going to need the whole damned thing recompiled.  I'm not eager to do that.  I can look at the Orion too, and while that's lower on the priority list it should also be really easy to fix.  Do you remember offhand which subsystems are "out of place"?  I'm guessing engines, but I can't remember.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/temp/deimos.zip

That includes both taylor's deimos as well as the current version in the MediaVPs. I don't know if the model is any different from the one in the Deltas, so I included it.

I think CP's main concern was engines, because it messed up a campaign mission, but I don't remember if there were any other subsystems messed up.

Edit: Also, I remember making a mental note to look into using the lower-version shockwaves for mv_effects, rather than the medium-quality version. Does anyone have the link to those?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 11:33:48 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah the engine was the main issue, but the navigation also has the same problem. They're too deep inside the model and as a result are much harder to destroy with bombs (which don't have the puncture flag). The original Orion has them near the edges of the model. I can fix this up quickly if you want.

The Hecate also has an issue with the size of three of its turrets that makes them easier or harder to hit from far away, but it's fairly minor and harder to fix.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the other thread, but here is a little thing I made some years ago that may be a useful addition to the core vp:
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/shieldbv-01.ani

It fixes the bug with the Bakha's shield HUD animation in the original game.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 01:26:28 am by CP5670 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
On closer inspection, the subsystems were completely different from the original model.  Fixed, along with the Deimos, but I'll wait until I can properly asses how long fixing the Anuket will take.  I had to make the engine system larger so that it could still be hit from about the same angles, since it was getting hidden by the greebles even when set to its proper size.

EDIT:
I'm not touching the Hecate.  The turrets (and I'm assuming these are the big deck guns most aft and on the bottom side) are not really fixable without reconversion and really should affect balance very, very little, especially on the retail campaign.  So I'm not touching those, nor do I encourage anyone else to take that up.

Ok, so the Anuket.  It's got a multipart turret that (right now) works completely wrongly, which I'll fix.  Fixing the rest of it doesn't look as bad as I initially thought though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 01:43:54 am by StratComm »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
er, nevermind. didn't read it right, and i thought you gave a download xD
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 02:31:35 am by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
3.6.8 Gamma Model Fixes - This is not a media VP, and should only be downloaded by SCP or FSUpg staff members.

That should take care of your wish-list, WMC.  I checked the Anuket out (engine glows show now) since I reconverted it; I can't promise it's turrets will be beautiful when firing but they're at least as good as what was there before.  And the model is stable and will show up in the correct position, were it ever used in a mission where it's positioning on warp-in needed to be precise.

EDIT: And I don't think the Moloch is done yet.  Leave it out until either it goes public or WeatherOp sends you the "final" version directly.  In which case I'm still going to want to look over it just to be sure everything's in order.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 03:20:35 am by StratComm »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
EDIT:
I'm not touching the Hecate.  The turrets (and I'm assuming these are the big deck guns most aft and on the bottom side) are not really fixable without reconversion and really should affect balance very, very little, especially on the retail campaign.  So I'm not touching those, nor do I encourage anyone else to take that up.

Yes, those are the ones. It's mainly in the Rebel Intercept multiplayer mission that it makes things slightly harder, as the smaller size of the rearmost large flak turret makes it a bit trickier to hit with the maxim (which is a standard tactic in that mission) under normal lag conditions. Although as you said it's not worth the trouble it would take to fix it, at least right now.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Here is the turret angle fix tbm with added support for the Ursa.

Wasn't Raa showing of an in game cockpitted Myrmidon?  That would be nice to have for the first few missions of the new Derelict... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Wow, We have now a gamme version !  :shaking: Then we'll have the Epsilon version to Zeta version until the final  :ick:

Offline WMCoolmon

Well patches have been a pain b/c people don't remove them when they upgrade to a new set (and then complain about errors), and Inquisitor hasn't complained about server bandwidth yet.
-C

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
IIRC the rearmost turret of the hecate was always smaller than the others.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Wasn't Raa showing of an in game cockpitted Myrmidon? That would be nice to have for the first few missions of the new Derelict... :)

I was, but the cocpit struts completely obstructed your view. It was like a really really tiny window to look out of in front of you. If you like that sort of thing, I can find the file when I et my laptop back from repairs, but I didn't really like it.

Edit: but I do have an idea about what I can do to fix that... hmm..... Ideas! Wee!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I did think the Myrmidon looked good externally anyway... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
IIRC the rearmost turret of the hecate was always smaller than the others.

no, check the original model.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Ah, youre right.

What a dumb place for a turret though...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Steel01

I figured I'd better post this here instead of in the Beta thread because this may affect future vp's, not the current one's.

I finally got hosting for my DDS VP's (Thanks Backslash :D )
www.qeyleb.net/files/dds_vp's.exe
These are fully working vp's in case anyone wants to use them as is, I do.

WMCoolmon: will these work or do I need to get you just the DDS files?

Steel01
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I think these were lost due to the rollback..

i) species_defs.tbl, so that SCP thrusters would be used ingame.. for example like this.

ii) Thruster radius of the HTL trebuchet is far too small.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Note: found a couple errors in the dds_vp's.  We're working on it.  The ones I've tracked down are corrupted because the TGA/PCX versions are non-power-of-2 sizes.
Some of the culprits, which might be good to fix in the TGA/PCX versions also:
thruster02-03  -- 510x128  (?!)
thruster03-01a  -- 400x400, whereas all the other thruster03* files are 512x512.
Prometheus_Glow  -- 166x166
Vapula_Glow  -- 166x166
Kayser_Glow.pcx  -- 166x166.  This is an odd one, because Kayser_Glow.tga is just fine at 256x256.  These three weapon glows look all identical, so correcting them is easy: duplicate Kayser_Glow.tga, overwriting the others, and convert to pcx to fix those too.

Also, a couple ideas:
1.  There is a typo (?) in the mv_effects-wep.tbm file under Terran Turret.  The Laser Bitmap is 2_laserglow03.  Is this not supposed to be LaserGlow03, or Terran_Turret?  This currently has the effect of most Terran turrets firing odd but boring white blobs.

2.  The animated glowmaps; wouldn't they look better with a slower animation speed (fps)?  Most of them are currently > 30fps, some at even 60.  So you see the full animation in less than a second; the repetition becomes quite noticable in such a short amount of time.  I say they'd look better at 15fps or so.  Hmm, would this also improve performance any?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 06:03:04 pm by Backslash »