Author Topic: Expl blast effect and fighter shockwaves  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Expl blast effect and fighter shockwaves
Anyone that knows about shockwaves, what exactly does the "Expl blast" stat do?  The comments say "The intensity of the blast effect when you're within the outer radius".  Is that just the amount of buffeting caused, since damage is covered in different stats?

If so, I had an inspiration: why not lower or eliminate this effect, for DaBrain's fighter shockwaves?  For those who like the look of the fighter shockwaves, the common complaint is still that it affects game balance, what with the buffeting of the other surrounding fighters/bombers in a wing when you destroy one.  So, I made a tbm to try out this change [not to mention, let us add fighter shockwaves without having to have a complete ships.tbl replacement].

What do you think?  I don't know, perhaps the setting should be reduced instead of eliminated?  Someone who knows a bit more about how explosions work could probably help here.

[edit:  whoops.  fixed]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 07:38:07 pm by Backslash »

Offline Descenter

• Gamers Rule, but so do Thoes Who Make Them
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Expl blast effect and fighter shockwaves
Uh... might want to update your file.  There is nothing in it.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Solatar

Well, the reason I don't want shockwaves on fighters is because they're special things. You blow up something huge, you get a shockwave and think "damn..that was big...". If you you get a shockwave for everything, it kinda loses it's awe factor. I wouldn't mind bombers having shockwaves though.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
That's easy!  [attached]  Try it out.  In some ways, just bombers does makes sense.  (though, I made support ships and transports have it too, since they currently are boring  :D)

Yeah I see where you're coming from.  Me, I enjoyed it in Wing Commander Prophecy way back when, so got a kick out of DaBrain's 'bonus'.  But what I did was have the main shockwaves be the nice blue ones, and have the smaller ship shockwaves be DaBrain's smaller orange ones, just "f_shockwave.pof" and "f_shockwave.dds".  http://www.game-warden.com/starfox/Non_SF_related_stuff/SW3D_Mid-range.rar .  (Thanks DaBrain!)  This way, the big shockwaves still look awesome and kick your craft around too, while the small orange ones kinda add to the explosion of small ships.

(Hmm, that inspires me -- what would it look like if I changed the color of the bomb explosions?  Greenish?  Purplish?   :p)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Although it was never a big deal, I have always noticed that the shockwaves for bombs and certain missiles were the same compared to those of ship over 1000 times larger. To add to that, all of the explosions for bombs and certain missiles are the same. I have always wanted to see some kind of variation to exist between the weapons' explosions based on their purpose. For example, some sort of electrical effect on the EM Pulse, or some type of dramatic explosion on the Helios that proves that it is the most powerful weapon in the game.

On a final note, I have always wondered if it was possible to rework the supernova at the end of the last mission. Although this is only a game and not a NASA simulation, the supernova at the end should be the most dramatic explosion in the game. I was thinking more on the lines of this, but slowed down...

https://webspace.utexas.edu/maa945/www/hst15_supernova.mpeg

Sorry for getting off topic there, but yeah, I think it would be cool if you changed up the bombs explosions somehow.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's a nice animation! :)

As for shockwaves, I'm pretty sure under the SCP you can assign different 3D Shockwaves to different ships using the table files, however, I'm not sure about the 2D Animated shockwaves. It would be nice, since, whilst I like the 3D shockwaves, I actually prefer the 2D ones personally.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Should be noted though that shockwaves are the easiest way to use up texture slots and memory of all effects in the game.  Feel free to experiment, but keep that in mind and be careful when adding more.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
To be honest, they are still using systems that are extremely similar to the original FS2 animations in Eve Online, an explosion followed by a somewhat familiar 2D expanding shockwave ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Because there has yet to be a 3d shockwave that's not a plane with a 2d texture applied to it, that looks good. 3d shockwaves are ugly...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Descenter

• Minecraft
    • Steam
In order to produce the 3d shockwave you would have to create an expanding orb of energy of sorts.  As far as that goes, I'll have to agree with Raa in that I like the 2D planer version myself.
"War is like playing a game of chess.  You move units on a field, and stratiegically try to weaken the opposing force, a sort of... elequent ballet.  Sure you might lose a few units,.... but, at times, it all part of the plan..."

"Most of the human race really don't give a damn.  Well I do, and I try to do something about it by giving a damn."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Because there has yet to be a 3d shockwave that's not a plane with a 2d texture applied to it, that looks good. 3d shockwaves are ugly...

That is bull****. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Oh? Are we playing jeopardy?

What is what's inside Cobra's head?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
$1000 goes to Raa for the correct answer-question.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

Oh? Are we playing jeopardy?

What is what's inside Cobra's head?

I think the more important question is

What is do you honestly want to know whats inside Cobra's head? :p
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

when ever something that blows up and needs a shockwave even a warhead my computor grindes to a halt. I use to think i had a pretty high end comp.  Pentium 4, wind xp, 1 gig of ram, Geforce 5500 fx pci graphics card 256mb. but i guess the stuff you guys are doing are now is to much for it.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
No, I think a few people have mentioned this problem. Is it using the 2D shockwaves that come with FS2 or the new 3D ones?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Personally,  I'm just using normal explosios on fighters (alltough a bit biger) and of course a aincrease in the damage and radiou of hte explosions. the Suppoer ship now blows with a big bang and the capships....well...let's jsut say you'd better be far away when they blow.

Passed the original campaign without anay problems whatsoever.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Descenter

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Personally, I'm just using normal explosios on fighters (alltough a bit biger) and of course a aincrease in the damage and radiou of hte explosions. the Suppoer ship now blows with a big bang and the capships....well...let's jsut say you'd better be far away when they blow.

:doubt: I have a friend that likes to change his tables to severely bend the game phyisics, like making a missle explosion about......10^5 radius.  It's very sad.  (Of course I always like to see him as sidistic anyway)

[EDIT]Scratch that, after talking with him, I have underestimated his radius.....10^6 to 10^10........and also applied them to cap ships and nomal fighters.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 08:07:26 pm by Descenter »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Overkill.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I took out the fighter shockwaves because they were a pain (ie they changed balance, because your ship shook for a second or two after killing each. and. every. fighter.)

Even for bombers, it'd make certain missions harder, because you'd have to finish shaking before you could target the next bomber or the bombs.

You can specify different 2D and 3D shockwaves on individual basises (up to 5 or 8 IIRC) but that will use massive numbers of image slots, if they're all full animations.
-C