Author Topic: Expl blast effect and fighter shockwaves  (Read 7387 times)

Re: Expl blast effect and fighter shockwaves
No, I think a few people have mentioned this problem. Is it using the 2D shockwaves that come with FS2 or the new 3D ones?

Im using the 3d shockwaves.  It was better when i turned off use tga and jpg textures.  Perhaps i sugesst being more efficent with the shockwaves.  Someones home computor cant handle 5 shockwaves going at once from a raid of bombs hitting a ship and then the ship exploding.  I cant even handle one with out a massive slow down. (which takes away from the impressiveness )

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
I took out the fighter shockwaves because they were a pain (ie they changed balance, because your ship shook for a second or two after killing each. and. every. fighter.)

No that's my point, that's why I made this table; I set the "Expl blast effect" for fighters to 0 and now it doesn't shake anything around.  (try it!  it's good!)  Hence my question:  does this 'Expl blast effect' affect anything else besides the shaking?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Possibly damage, but with fighters that's going to be generally negligible (and might be in there anyway)

I personally dislike fighter/bomber shockwaves too, since they weren't in retail (Although Volition had the ability to put them in), some mods, such as Derelict, have used them as a 'special effect' for special fighter explosions - and I think they were used in FS1 to that effect too, but I'm not sure. And finally they just seem to cross the line of making things look good, and just adding effects because we can.

My ideal situation would be to have the fighter shockwaves as an optional patch in the wiki, possibly with other patches that are along similar lines...with modular tables it's relatively easy. Call it something like "mp_fshcokwaves.vp" and link to it from the SCP site and Getting Started guides. That way I don't have to deal with people griping about them or for them every month. :p
-C

Offline bfobar

My idea would be only adding shockwaves if fighters and bombers had boms aboard, but that would require coding.
I think saying, "OHHHH, I hit his magazines!" would be cool, but would rather have no shockwaves over shockwaves on everything.

Meh, just make FSO disable use of fighter shockwaves in campaigns that do not implicitly enable it.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That's how it is now...if you want your campaign to have fighter shockwaves, you just drop a .tbl or .tbm in with them.
-C

The best shockwave in my opinion is the one off the Lucifer in the Endgame cutscene.