Author Topic: CVS build compatability?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Kaine

CVS build compatability?
which MediaVPs should i be using for the most recent CVS builds? i'd work it out myself by trial and error, but i can't find the 3.6.8 VPs anywhere. i know they aren't on general release, but i'd like to have a go with them. If i was able to see what parts are missing i may be able to lend a hand...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: CVS build compatability?
AFAIK it goes like this (i may have gotten somethings wrong)

Mediavps 3.6.7 without patch nro 3.
Compatible with all builds from 3.6.7 forward

Mediavps 3.6.7 with patch nro 3
Compatible with builds from somewhere October 2005 to build 20051222

Mediavps 3.6.7 with patch nro 3 and fixed TurretAngleFix-shp.tbm
Compatible with builds from 20051229 to 20060224 (untested)
NOTE: Editing (for example with notepad) the TurretAngleFix-shp.tbm by replacing all inital entries with initial  makes these compatible with post-20060226 buiilds (untested)

Mediavps 3.6.8(delta)
Compatible (with some issues due their WIP nature) from 20051229 to 20060224

Mediavps 3.6.8(delta) and fixed mv_turretangle-shp.tbm
Compatible from 20060226 (some possible issues) (untested)

For possible 368 mediavp issues and solutions, read all the post from this thread. Extra tbms should be placed into mediavps/data/tables folder. If you use 368 mediavps do not be suprised if you encounter problems. They arent called WIP without reason.

Basically all CVS builds are retail compatible so no mediavps is always an option.

Someone who is wiser and more well versed in arcane lore of the mediavps can correct these if i got something wrong
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 03:22:27 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

The 3.6.8 MediaVps can be snagged at...
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mvp368delta/

And you may also need...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37272.0;id=306

To quote a wiser man's instructions:
This is a problem with recent build due to a spelling correction. Put the attached file in your Media_VP/data/tables/ directory, and the error should go away (untested).

Just remember to delete the file after the next patch or version.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
As it turns out the "inital" problem wasn't supposed to be fatal.  It was only supposed to warn you that you need to use "initial" instead and then go back to working like it should.  A small code bug prevented that from working though.  Hopefully it will be corrected for the next build and then both "initial" and "inital" will work.

Offline Kaine

thanks guys, got it all working (bar a few not entirely unexpected bugs) looks awesome, can't wait for a bug-free(ish) release :D

Offline Kaine

And you may also need...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37272.0;id=306

To quote a wiser man's instructions:
This is a problem with recent build due to a spelling correction. Put the attached file in your Media_VP/data/tables/ directory, and the error should go away (untested).

Just remember to delete the file after the next patch or version.

03/01 debug build gives the inital/initial fatal warning with or without this file. the release exe is fine though  :wtf:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
03/01 debug build gives the inital/initial fatal warning with or without this file. the release exe is fine though :wtf:

Both builds catch it and handle it.  However the debug build displays a message letting you know about this.  It's not fatal - just continue and it'll be fine.

Offline Kaine

thats the point, i hit continue and it shows exactly the same warning, until i press ok and it crashes.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It will show you the warning once for every occurance on the table but eventually it will run out and the game will start.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Concern regarding 2006/03/01, FRED disables player commands for all ships.  Bug report already openned, just makeing sure as many people as possible know about it to avoid angry feedback later.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!