Author Topic: HTL Knossos? 3D Meson shockwaves? Have these been done?  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Starks

HTL Knossos? 3D Meson shockwaves? Have these been done?
Just curious.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: HTL Knossos? 3D Meson shockwaves? Have these been done?
No, I don't belive anyone has done an HTL Knossos, thing is- it moves so fast and is usually so far away it's probably pretty low on the priority list.

If you have 3D shockwaves, the Meson bomb should have 3D shockwaves already.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: HTL Knossos? 3D Meson shockwaves? Have these b
The knossos is almost as low on the priority list as the Pharos, but then someone's already working on that.  And the TC-TRI's been done too.  I'd much rather see more effort put in to particularly the Vasudan fleet, but then people will do what they want so maybe that can't be helped.

Part of the problem with the knossos is deciding exactly what to high-polify about it.  The shape is pretty basic and the textures really don't offer many hints as to where to go from there.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'd tread carefully as far as the Knossos is concerned, for a couple reasons.
First, it's always moving so fast and the pieces are so far away, it's impossible to get close enough to appreciate any details.
Second, it appears as-is in a whole slew of command briefing animations and cutscenes, in wireframe, closeup, with diagrams and everything. It's the most heavily documented POF in the game resources.
Finally, it's the only example of Ancient design we have to go on. With Terran and Vasudan ships there's a general idea of what can be done with the shape, but the existing Knossos geometry is all there is we have to work with.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Actualy, I did at one point start work on an HTL knossos...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The knossos is almost as low on the priority list as the Pharos, but then someone's already working on that.  And the TC-TRI's been done too.  I'd much rather see more effort put in to particularly the Vasudan fleet, but then people will do what they want so maybe that can't be helped.

As silly as it seemed for a major HTLage project, the TC-TRI was done because the old version looked nasty next to the new, HTL Triton.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
My comment was really directed at the Pharos (the TC-TRI was easily the worst model in the original archives in terms of quality and time spent in development, right up there with the Dis container) but yes, there's often cause to do something secondary because it's frequently in contrast with a new version of something else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:57:31 pm by StratComm »

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
0,o

Who's doing the Pharos?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Firecrack, IIRC.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^yup, just to piss you off.

And now that finals are done i can finish it off!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
:p

Offline ShivanSpS

An HTL Knossos is really needed? the current one looks great at distance, you will never going to come so close to see anything....

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
Whereas I think there's actually too much detail suggested on the Knossos textures to actually make HTL'ing it work well without being forced to miss half of it out.

Oh and I quite often came into close contact with the Knossos pieces during retail missions. =/

Offline ShivanSpS

The Knossos needs more detail than this?
http://galeon.com/shivansps/knossos.JPG

the image loss quality when passed to JPEG, in game the knossos looks great... even in close range...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Well when your that close it does need more detail, but usually, when your that close, your going to die anyway.

BTW: Why are you near a Knossos in a ship armed withAvenger, ML-16s, and MX-50s?

Offline ShivanSpS

opsss, Classified. :P

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
if anything, a hi-poly knossos would at least serve to improve the lighting cast on it.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline ShivanSpS

Yes, but the knossos should be at the last of the list... even FS1 ships should have higer priority....

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
^yup, just to piss you off.

And now that finals are done i can finish it off!

There goes my only hope to contribute in any meaningful way to the MediaVPs.

Curse you! :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Come to think of it, the Pharos is actually a pretty good candidate for some hi-polifying, seeing as how one tends to spend a great deal of time next to/inside of them. :p