Author Topic: Star wars mod with Capships?  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Star wars mod with Capships?
Does this exist? Volitionwatch Archives had one link to a Star Wars mod that claimed the standard fighters and a Star Destroyer, but the page it links to won't let you download it. Is there anything else? I don't particularly care for Star Wars fighters(Except maybe the A-wing  ) but I like some of the Capships- and they're big too!
The standard Frigate is probably only slightly shorter than a Typhon, and the star destroyers are much bigger than that. If I can find a super-stardestroyer anywhere...  

Anyways, if you have any links to star wars stuff for FS, please tell.

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Sushi:
If I can find a super-stardestroyer anywhere...    

I know fer sure some o' the models you're talking about are also included in the Terran-Vasudan Alliance mod for FS1

and a Star Destroyer variant can be found here (different skin)
 http://www.wild666.freeserve.co.uk/Skins5.htm

------------------
JarC

"I am scared Dave..."
"Daisy, Daisy..."

[This message has been edited by JarC (edited 03-18-2001).]
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
T-V alliance looks good- long dload for my 56k though(17 mb!)  

------------------

Starwing

You're wrong about the size of Star Wars capships. An Imperator class Star Destroyer is only 1.6 km long, making it smaller than any FreeSpace destroyer. The Executor with it's 17.6 km is about three times as long as the Colossus.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
I hate 'Imperator' class.......Unless you're totally willing to discout the WE books, they're Imperial class.  Much better sounding, IMO.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Starwing

The first ISD was christened "Imperator", and usually ship classes are named after the first ship of the class, so it's Imperator- class.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Where did you find that?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Starwing

I get to hear that at X-Wing Legacy every time someone calls it Imperial class. One of the members there has read every single available Star Wars source, including those made for use by ILM for the special effects of the trilogy, and he begins a very, very long post explaining all the rubbish West End Games and LucasArts did to the stats of the Star Wars ships, whenever you argue using these stats.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I always thought the SSD was about 8-11 km long...

Anyway, SW ships are actually pretty small. No way is a standard frigate anywhere near the size of a Typhon.

Starwing

That's another screwed up value. Regarding "The Empire strikes back" the SSD has to be about eleven times as long as an ISD, which would make it 17.6 km, not 8 km.

Offline JarC

if you have any links to star wars stuff for FS, please tell.

Did you get whut you're after? if not, holar and I'll send you whut I got...

Destroyer
TIE Fighter
X-Wing

all FS1 versions

------------------
JarC

"I am scared Dave..."
"Daisy, Daisy..."
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Huh.

I remember that in X-wing, the star destroyers seemed pretty big. The model I got from T-V alliance(which, by the way, was a complete waste of download apart from the Star Wars models and the Hades) seemed way too small.

I even pulled out my VCR and fastforwarded to the Endor battle in ROTJ to look at the relative ship sizes. Either Star Wars fighters are a much smaller than FS fighters, or the capships are bigger.

I think SD should be about twice as big as the current model in FS is, to feel "right" flying by it. IMHO.

Where do these numbers on ship lengths come from anyways?

------------------

Offline JarC

Huh.

I remember that in X-wing, the star destroyers seemed pretty big. The model I got from T-V alliance seemed way too small.

Well, I'm certainly not that familiar with editing a POF yet, but if I read the format correctly, it should not be to difficult to upsize it in scale?

As longs as the number of vertices and polycount stays the same...it should'n make much difference in performance...?

------------------
JarC

"I am scared Dave..."
"Daisy, Daisy..."
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Bushwacker

Okay, an Orion is 2.6 km long, and an ISD is 1.6, so if you put a Deimos side by side to an Orion, its close to a third of the length of the Orion, meaning the Deimos is just shy of a km in length (btw, the Nebulon-B frigates are approx. 900 meters long, Corvettes are 350 meters)  And obviously, the SW kilometers are vastly different from FS kilometers (considering the twisted universe that SW resides in, logical mathematics do not exist.  Observe:
ISD is 1.6 km long.
the ISD is only 1/11th the length of the SSD, while the SSD is 8 times the length of the ISD.
Therefore, SSD is 17.6 km long and 8 km long.

Where do I see something that makes the equation go BOOM?

btw, how do you change the color of the text?  Forgive me, I haven't used my html in the months since I made a quick reference to it for another forum...

[This message has been edited by Bushwacker (edited 03-19-2001).]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
All right, I accept that according to the official SW scale, the SD is fairly short. However, in the movies especially and to a lesser extent in the game, the ships really are bigger. I don't think that George Lucas was worrying too much about maintaining a consistency in scale- the SDs were just supposed to be big fortress monsters.   In FS now, they're just a big corvette. I want a Star Destroyer. Even if it doesn't fit with "official" star wars stats, it needs to be big. 3500m would do nicely.  

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey Bushwacker, isn't a Deimos about 600m? I always thought it was about the length of 2 and a half cruisers.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Starwing

Originally posted by Bushwacker:
Observe:
ISD is 1.6 km long.
the ISD is only 1/11th the length of the SSD, while the SSD is 8 times the length of the ISD.

Now that's interesting point. I wonder Where you got this comparison. I only heard an SSD is EITHER 8km OR 17.6km, but not BOTH at the same time.

The 8 km is a value stated in some "official" sources, and used in some novels, but the 17.6 km value has been determined using the relative ship sizes in The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi, and is commonly accepted as to be correct.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That's like the WhiteStar.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
I think the official length of the Super Star Destroyer is 8 kilometres.

------------------
Long Live The Fighters!!!

Do or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Yub yub Commander! - Major Wes Janson

GTD Excellence Webmaster
NeoHunter<                   [b][email protected][/b]                                 >                  

Upcoming campaign: Fury Storm

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin

Originally posted by Bushwacker:

Gotta love the force.