8 (10.1%)
Corellian Corvette Style
61 (77.2%)
Snuffleupagus
8 (10.1%)
Ban me!
2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Corellian Gunship Poll + WIP Pix  (Read 18825 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Corellian Gunship Poll + WIP Pix
There's just another quad laser turret at the front of the bottom engine block and a dual turbo at the back. There's barely anything to see there yet, but I'll post pix after I've detailed it.

Offline Axem

Brace yourselves, I've gone into uncharted territory here:

Sure the Gunship's never been seen with a dish before, but I think it looks cool. I've already diverged so far from any Gunship schematics that I might as well keep going.

(Alternatively, it's a death ray, it can blow up an ISD in one hit)

And beginning work on the engine block. And those things are not missile tubes, they are reverse thrusters!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Diverging or not, it's still brilliant.  You're doing exactly what I hoped someone would do with a poorly defined EU ship, making it frickin' sweet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
seriously frickin' sweet. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline aRaven

i'd like to command that ship ^^

Just out of curiosity, how many triangles does this ship have?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
What inspired you to mount the dish on a long tube like that? I would think it would be sitting on just a small cylindrical extrusion, like the quad laser turret on the bottom, to better match the Corellian design.

I like the concept, and I like the execution locally, but I'm not convinced about the placement on the hull.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I think its based roughly on the sensor dish on the Consular class ships from PM.  Thats a CEC product and probably one of the few ships in the prequels to look like a precursor to the original trilogy.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Axem

The idea was taken from the Consular ship which had a similar forward facing dish. Originally it was mounted directly on the front, but I moved it off to the side so the front could still possibly be a docking port. I just extended the base to go into the ship itself, so that's why its a long tube.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*opens Wookieepedia* Aha, I see now. However that dish was stuck onto one of an existing pair of wings, not booleaned directly into the hull. It fits better up there, but there's no similar opportunity on this ship.

I agree that the dish shouldn't be directly on the front, but it shouldn't be growing directly out the side either. Maybe you could put where the port-side docking ring is now?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline maje

Bravo, Axem!  This is a really cool rendition of the Gunship and I like what you've done in terms of adding tons of detail that help add to the design and make it as detailed to any film model.

Keep up the good work!
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Have my doubts about the dish, but everything else looks superb!
'Specially like the reverse thrusters. ^_^

Great idea, but I think it would look better in a location similar to the corvette. Those reverse thrusters are a very nice addition, although now everyone will be looking for those on every starship I'm betting, which means you've inadvertently created a monster.

Offline Axem

Schmall updaten. The right half was deliberately unarmored to show how much work I'm putting into detail's you'll never see. :p

(However destructible subobjects would be rad for these...)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That is so sweet.  And yes, destructible armor plating (though awesome on any starship) would be perfect for gunships/corvettes because they are the right size of vessel for the player to make meaningful torpedo runs on but they are also unlikely to be blown away outright by your attacks (like a shuttle or transport might).  Looking great!  :yes:

Only if you can get destructive subobjects will it pay to model anything that won't even be seen, so maybe you want to make two varieties for when it is?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Those supports look somewhat.... "flimsy" to me. Are you sure they're connected to the main hull? XD

Offline jacek

nice :) how many polys does it have?

Offline Axem

No comment!

Any answer I give you now would be inaccurate since I haven't been caring about optimization. I probably should optimize as I go, but I like to have fun making detail, and eventually going back and taking anything out that's too poly rich.

Offline rhettro

Looks good! :)