Author Topic: Collaborative modelling: XQ2 platform  (Read 5633 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Collaborative modelling: XQ2 platform
I've recently found Starman01's old XQ2 platform model and started to polish it up. However, I'm by no means an expert modeller and things like UV unwrapping seem really hard to learn to do well quickly (that's one of the things I don't really have any prior experience of). So, I figured that why not see if someone outside the core team would be willing to help finish this thing?

Here's basically what needs to be done:

1. Improving the model itself. Things which currently look pretty bad are the central top antenna, the four other top radar/sensor/antenna blocks and the bottom antennas. Things which should get a little bit more detailing would be the three main platform arms. If you feel like some other part could be improved, you're welcome to do so. Also, a little bit of re-imagining doesn't hurt, so don't be afraid to change or add something canonical as long as it's not too drastic (for example, adding extra little hangars somewhere or extra features to the main platform arms, which are currently rather dull and empty, wouldn't be too drastic).

2. Creating the interior of both the central hangar (needs relatively lot of detailing) and the small hangar near the bottom (shouldn't need a lot). Currently the central hangar interior isn't even placeholder-textured.

3. Unwrapping the whole thing. Currently it's just hideously inefficiently and unclearly auto-unwrapped. However, this should of course come last, so no point doing that before the model has been declared final. When you edit the model, the placeholder texture mapping will of course become a bit screwed up, but nevermind that.

There's no need to worry about the details of model conversion, such as setting up helper objects, resetting x-form or such. I already have the conversion process set up and the current model working in-game as a placeholder, so that part isn't a problem.

So, if you think you'll want to help, grab the attached .zip containing the model in .max format along with the two placeholder textures used, and just do whatever tweaks you want and then post the working file for it (or PM a link to me if you don't want it to be public, however you want). Feel free to do as much or as little you want - if you don't fancy doing more than tweaking a single antenna, then that's perfectly fine. Feel free to post screenshots or just describe what you want to do if you want feedback on your idea before doing all the work, if you want. I only ask that you somehow clearly mark which objects you have changed: for example, a good way would be to hide, freeze or delete all the unchanged objects in the scene before posting it.

If several people submit conflicting changes, then I'll just simply pick the one we think is better. Of course, I doubt we'll get dozens of people working on this at the same time anyway, so non-minor conflicts should be pretty unlikely and not really worth worrying about much.

I'm hoping this will firstly help us get this station ready much quicker, get the first release out the door faster and grant considerable fame to the people who'll help accomplish that. ;)

Note: the file is currently only in .max and Collada .dae format. If you need the file in a different format, please just say so. Anything 3ds Max 9 can export to, I can give you.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:46:11 pm by zookeeper »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Collaborative modelling: XQ2 platform
Getting the good Collada exporter working might be a good thing, then almost anyone could open the file, not to mention importing into PCS2 Collada versions easily.  Just a thought.

I think something like this really needs some glowpoint treatment.  Maybe not excessively, but some in the interior especially would be pretty neat, plus some treatment around the landing pads, etc.  Outside of that I'm curious to see what anyone could do to texture this beast.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm good at glowpointing ships, when you will have this platform as .pof or ready to conversion .dae, I will be able to glowpoint it. I guarantee running lights on landing pads.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well there is a pof already, if you glowpointed it could the glowpoints be easily transferred later to another pof?  Otherwise there's no point doing it just yet.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I remember a similar feature from the old PCS which copied all coordinates from another POF (fighterbay paths, turret headings, you know it...). Else create a txt with the coordinates of the glowpoints.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's very simple to import glowpoints from one model to another, just press "load" button at the top of glowpoint tab and select a model from which you want to import them.
I had converted it from .dae to .pof and I'm now working on it using standard mediavps glowpoints (if you want some special ones, it's not a problem, just tell me what should I use).
On a side note, can you provide some placeholder table file for it? It will cetrainly speed testing up a bit.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I will try to get one to you if the guys in IRC didn't yet.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Here's the table entry if anyone's interested in converting and checking out their work in-game.  Just replace the turret entries ("Alliance Turbolaser" and "Arakyd ST2") with weapons from retail and it should be good to go.
http://www.hard-light.net.pastebin.com/d191b66cb

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
And change it's spieces from "pirate" to "terran" (it causes problems with debug builds).

Offline aRaven

Wow! Thats a fine engine glow you got there!

Offline Topgun

Id like to take a crack at this. are there any reference pics?

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Wow! Thats a fine engine glow you got there!
Yes!  Validation!
Not much I know of beyond this awesome artistic license-taking jumbo version:

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
So I checked the Star Wars Wikis on the XQ2 Platform, and the history doesn't makes any sense. How'd it get bankrupt by being successful?  I don't think even a command economy can screw that up.

Offline zookeeper

Glad to hear it! I'm afraid I have never found any proper reference pics for these, the screenshots from the old games which you can find in the Wookieepedia articles and especially the "notable stations" part of the XQ2 article are pretty much it.

Just a guess, demand went up so high, they were willing to pay huge money for workers and materials to make them.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Or it proven so good that it almost never failed and at one point everybody who needed a platform already had one, so the demand fell to zero.
Combine this with most of company's shipyards being adapted to build those platforms and their components (due to their succes and previously high demand) and you have a company with a lot of platform parts in magazines and no one to buy them. This might have been the cause (I heard that something like that happened in RL, though company didn't bankrupted, but instead started to make products of lower quality, which failed after some time and forced people to buy replacements).

Offline Topgun

Looks like I will be able to start work on it today, expect wips soon.

Offline Topgun

okay, so far I have added little detail here and there, and some smoothing for the heck of it, but not anything worth rendering.

I see that there are a lot of submodels, is there any real need for so many? is there any animation I need to worry about?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
We wanted options.  It's unlikely we'll have more than one in a mission so it shouldn't be an issue.

Offline zookeeper

okay, so far I have added little detail here and there, and some smoothing for the heck of it, but not anything worth rendering.

I see that there are a lot of submodels, is there any real need for so many? is there any animation I need to worry about?
Well, I kept a lot of things as separate objects to keep the working file easier to work with and also because presumably we'll want a lot of the objects to be destroyable subsystems. For example all the sensor blocks and the ones labeled "shield generators" and "random blocks" should probably house some subsystems which would be destroyable, I'd think.

I can't really see any of those having animations besides the radar dishes, which might be made to spin (either continuously or only when triggered by a mission).