Author Topic: An Ugly situation  (Read 13269 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I tend to agree that the concept of a land walker as a space cockpit seems kind of far fetched, even for an ugly.  Would rather see a mashup of existing spaceships.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think it depends on the skill and resources of whoever's doing the modification.

As for the AT-ST scenario, those you could just have piloted by droids / AI in the SW universe.  And, in space, you can pretty much bolt rockets on anything and it will work.  The only catch is life support.  But really, all you have to do is make a rudimentary life-support + life vest suit (I think some TIEs used this?) and you're fine. (That goes for size, too - TIEs cockpits are about as big as an AT-ST or smaller, remember that the AT-ST is two-person crew, TIE fighter is one-person.)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Death star with the wings from a wookie flying vehicle. . . . . Lots of them.

Or jabbas sand barge with six at-at legs. Or a bulk freighter covered in correlian corvette turret / escape pods.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Life support likely wouldn't be a problem, as the Empire wouldn't have the vehicle in heavy use if it couldn't operate effectively in environments with no or unbreathable atmosphere.  Either the cabin can be fully sealed with the viewports shut (as seen at Hoth), or more likely the driver and gunner would just wear pressurized suits like AT-AT operators/TIE pilots.  That's not to say there wouldn't be huge problems getting it flying, but with the ruggedness of SW technology it's certainly believable for me.  Beyond the obvious structural reinforcement that would be needed to prevent the engine pods from ripping off, whatever cargo room there is (wookiepedia lists 200kg) would have to be devoted to basic SW flight technology like repulsor coils, stabilization, navigation, the etheric rudder (though some of these might be found in the engines instead), etc.  Hyperdrive and shields are probably disqualified on the bases of space, power, and cost requirements, so you're left with a ship that is slower and less agile than a bomber, has weaker armament than a fighter, no shields, and a hull that can be ripped apart by a couple hits from any decent cannon (as seen at Endor), pretty much a perfect ugly :yes:  Really the only possible advantage it has is the turret E-web blaster cannons, which (although useless against anything with shields) might help dissuade a TIE fighter if it were outnumbered.  Definitely not something you'd see a lot of, but a single one mixed in with a set of modified Z-95s/Die-ings/other uglies could add a bit of character to your pirate raid.

If you can attach rockets to anything, then why would you use an AT-ST cockpit, of all things? TIE cockpits are probably more common and more space-worthy to begin with. Uglies were already a strange idea to begin with, but this...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
If you can attach rockets to anything, then why would you use an AT-ST cockpit, of all things? TIE cockpits are probably more common and more space-worthy to begin with. Uglies were already a strange idea to begin with, but this...

Three reasons spring to mind.
  • 1, in universe, an At-St can have heavier armor than a tie ball, and additional bulkheads can be layered on much more easily. It's not worth much, but the guy who would have built the Deathtrap (the name shall persist until a better one is proposed, or until I get my ice-skate concession up and running on Mustafar) isn't quite clever enough to realize how little difference that makes in SW/FOTG space combat.
  • II; I'm trying to use vessels from film canon (as unrealistic as the N-1's engines may be thematically, but see next bullet point) and there just aren't many choices. (X-wing, Y-wing and Tie/LN are out, for now, see below. What's that leave?)
  • C - I'm doing this to learn blender as much as to create an effective ship, and I don't see the point in duplicating Brand's beautiful work on his fighters with my horribly nubbish work to create a TIE/LN ball, Y-Wing nacelles or similar.
  • And 4, fnord.

Realistically, I could easily see some heavily modified Y-Wings, Z-95s, and transports of every shape and size making up the bulk of pirate or civilian fleet much more easily than a bunch of uglies.  I mean...you don't think the Millennium Falcon was the only modified YT-1300 in the galaxy?  I'd much rather see effort spent on creating interesting and plausible modifications to existing craft than on uglies...but that's just me.

I agree that I'd love to see this, and once I get better at modeling things, I might give it a shot. Right now, though, I'll stick with a box on two tubes.
 :rolleyes:
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well, I must say that, I'm sorry but I still can't stand it.  An AT-ST or even an AT-AT is not sealed for space use.  Uglies are meant to be slap-dash looking, not hilarious.  To be honest we're not looking for comedy in this mod.  It might fit in some kind of Star Wars parody, but certainly not in this mod.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline newman

Yea kitbashing uglies is one thing but this is a bit too far for my tastes. Simply put it's a ridiculous combo. After this it's a very small step towards a Snowspeeder/Jawa Sandcrawler hybrid :)
Still, as a modeling exercise, I suppose it's as good a shape as any.. it would just be very hard to take it seriously in a real, non-parody SW game.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:03:06 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
To be honest we're not looking for comedy in this mod.
Does this mean the battledroid theme song is out?
After this it's a very small step towards a Snowspeeder/Jawa Sandcrawler hybrid :)
Now you're talking!