Author Topic: The Babylon Project DVD v2 planning  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
The Babylon Project DVD v2 planning
Maybe we should update this DVD at some point in the future post Zathras.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Hip has already contacted me about doing a new campaign pack and I suggested a DVD 2.0 as well at that time.  Of course all this is pending release of 3.6.10 and Zathras and hopefully a couple more campaigns.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

well, Hunters, updated Janus, updated Operations and maybe Battle at... should be sufficient?  :lol:

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Speaking of TBP DVD 2.0, the current menu system on the DVD is quite "epic" but in retrospect, it my be a bit overkill plus it may not work smoothly on older systems.

Do you guys think I should tone it down to something a little simplier or do you guys still like the "Big Show"?

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My recommendation: Keep it simple. Remove the fullscreen thing. Remove the sounds. And the custom pointer. Don't know about old systems, but on new ones, it just looks awful in my opinion.

[rant]Why? Because to me, it all seems so bloody 90s. I do not like being surprised by soundeffects playing at 100% Volume. I do not like having to wait several seconds for it to go through all the fade-ins and fade-outs.[/rant]
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
The Music stays. Period. (at least during the main install, it just goes so well with the slides, but the menu music may go.)

However I can do something about the volume with the new software I have available to me now.  And I'm flexible on the other items you mentioned but please, keep the rants out. I spent about 100 hours designing and redesigning the last one, so I can do with out the rants please.

But yes, I'm thinking simplier, more streamlined (and yes faster) but still be TBP DVD.

The last was kinda like a big Earth Force Battleship or something but now I'm thinking more Whitestar :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:41:53 am by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

hey, it's hip!  :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Re: The Babylon Project DVD v2 planning
Don't suppose you have any way of making it multi platform? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
adding the the files for other platforms is no problem, however I don't know if the DVD itself works on other platforms though...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well if we can't do a Linux and Mac installer then we need something for those platforms to be able to at least be able to extract the files to a directory. 

Another question.  How hard would it be to make a separate updater from DVD 1 to DVD 2?  That way it's a smaller download for people that already have the DVD?

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
I was already thinking the same thing ;)

I don't forsee a problem with doing that.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Maybe we should go with 2.x for the campaign pack to try to get it back in line with the DVD number.  So in the future when DVD 3 comes out campaign pack 3 will match what's in it.  Any campaign packs released between DVD versions will just be a revision. 

So right now we are at DVD 1.0 and CP 2.0 we should go to:

DVD 2.0 CP say 2.5
Next CP would be 2.6 etc
DVD 3.0 comes out CP goes to 3.0

Offline Vidmaster

disliking that, makes things even more complex.