Author Topic: What's the best joystick?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline est1895

What's the best joystick?
Hello.  I have been looking at some microsoft sidewinders and precision pro 2.0s.  Any input would be gradly appreciated.  :nod:

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Re: What's the best joystick?
really depends on what you want in a stick and your budget.
personally I run a logitech sidewinder pro 3 or something, stick is good, has enough buttons, I prefer 1 hand on stick, then mapping many controls to my keyboard.

Thrust Master Flight Stick X is the one I am using. Not expensive. Has everything you need to play Flight Simulator (including the Heli's, it has rudder!), so it is good enough for me.

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Do they make any Flight Sticks with Force Feedback still?
I used to have an MS Sidewinder Force Feedback2, **** was badass. But I sold it to a friend 5 years ago.
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
They do in fact sell force-feedback sticks still, though the only one I've seen to date is a Logitech stick which is far more than inexpensive.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i use ch fighterstick, pro throttle and pedals. the best part is probibly the mapping software that comes with it. of course the stick has pretty awesome spring tension. enough to give tactile feedback but not so tight that it strains your wrist. it also has more buttons than i can remember the mappings for, and more axes than most games support.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

For Freespace  a forcefeedback stick rocks it really adds to the game imho
flak turrets are a thing to fear

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I've only used an FF stick once, but I could see it being a bit of a pain in a dogfight. As for sticks, the Saitek Cyborg Evo's lasted me about 2-3 years. If you can, snatch up a Sidewinder, but if not, Saitek and CH sticks are generally high quality.

Offline Davros

I've only used an FF stick once, but I could see it being a bit of a pain in a dogfight. As for sticks, the Saitek Cyborg Evo's lasted me about 2-3 years. If you can, snatch up a Sidewinder, but if not, Saitek and CH sticks are generally high quality.

In a way your right, because you do feel impacts so lining up a target while under fire is harder (especially from flak turrets) just as it would be in real life

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I've only used an FF stick once, but I could see it being a bit of a pain in a dogfight.

i owned a sidewinder force feedback around the time i got freespace 2. so it was pretty awesome, until you realize its affecting your aim, then you switch it off. that was a good stick.

As for sticks, the Saitek Cyborg Evo's lasted me about 2-3 years. If you can, snatch up a Sidewinder, but if not, Saitek and CH sticks are generally high quality.

im gonna have to point out that as far as quality goes ch > saitek * 1000. ive owned 2 hotas saiteks. last one being an x52, i owned another but i cant remember (x36?). both had degraded pretty badly after the first year. ive had my ch hardware for about 3 years and it is about as good (if not better) than when i bought it. its like the more you use it the better it gets, the opposite is true for saitek. saitek has a couple of good points though, the button layout is better and the grips have a nicer feel, but i dont want to buy a new one every year.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN