Author Topic: [PSP] Ace Combat: Joint Assault  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
[PSP] Ace Combat: Joint Assault
It's out in both Japan and the US, I can't wait to play it. As far as I learned its style is very close to that of ACX, which IMHO is a good thing.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Re: [PSP] Ace Combat: Joint Assault
Whoops! sorry, we made a topic at the same time :p. You can delete mine, I'll repost here:

This is the PSP "sequel" to Ace Combat X, with an emphasis on multiplayer.

Anyone have it? I haven't been able to play the 4 player multiplayer mode of this game, although it looks hella fun. It sure makes a lot of the solo missions tons easier.

As for the game itself, it's pretty much Ace Combat X but harder on solo. There's still the branching mission structure from X (though a bit simpler), and you can still tune your airplanes and customize them to double lock, auto lock the MG and other crazy stuff. The voice acting is still pretty horrible and the story could easily be transplanted to the strangereal universe if they wanted. They implemented some stuff from AC6 like checkpoints. Did they have flak cannons in ACX? I can't remember, but they do have them here. Of course there's your requisite rail gun/superweapon and flying fortress(es.)

Missions 15 and 21A are pretty much the most challenging missions of the bunch. The last boss on the first playthrough is the hardest boss of any Ace Combat I've ever played, ever (I've played everything except the first two) partly because you're strapped for cash and probably have a poor choice of planes to do the mission in. You NEED a plane with high mobility or at least a SAAM or QAAM to even graze the last boss, although QAAMs don't work that well either.

Spoiler:
mission 15 is a chore because you're piloting a 747 which handles like an overweight cow and your passenger keeps on insulting you throughout the flight. as for the last mission, daaaaaammmnnnn. It gets easier with subsequent playthroughs, though, once you get nicer planes like the F22, the SU47 or the Forneus. It's a cakewalk with the Falken, but of course everything's a cakewalk with the Falken. Oh, and those flying fortresses doing barrel rolls. Wild.
VBB survivor (the J master) - five hundred something posts

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
How many ACX planes are in this game? All of the supers? Majority of the real life ones? Or...???
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

most of the planes in ACX are in this one, including the Fenrir  :pimp:

new planes include the Varcolac (super plane) the Zero and the Hellcat (WWII fighters)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
the Zero and the Hellcat (WWII fighters)

wat
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

hehe I kid you not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18rbxbYMtI

They have good maneuverability, but the rest of the stats suck. The hellcat has napalm as a secondary weapon, not sure about the zero 'cause I haven't bothered buying it.

SP mission 02 is hella fun:
Spoiler:
you have to fight 100 planes, including some of the aces from AC1 to AC6 (Strigon, Galm 1, Mobius 1, Yellow 13 and so on)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Too many airborne fortresses! It's almost as if NAMCO wanted to give me a present (the player's Antares 1, the logo is Scorpio, the first mission takes place on November 13th... ;)) and I love the music from AC1 through AC3: very nice tribute to the first games of the series. The game's interesting, and I'm currently busy trying to...

Spoiler:
Take Sulejmani out above San Francisco at the highest available difficulty level (there are three of them now, I guess the others will be unlocked later on), flying a Typhoon. I got shot down during my first attempt (an Aegis badly damaged me earlier) and ran out of time in my second attempt.

A "bad" thing about the name: it doesn't feel like the real world, mainly because of the overwhelming presence of airborne fortresses. It would have been a better game if it took place in the Strangereal world, but that's just me I think.

EDIT: I did it with a less maneuverable plane (!), and was considerably easier than expected. Wow.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:26:31 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon