Author Topic: Nav Guide Lights  (Read 9850 times)

Would anyone be able to make a small MOD for me? I would like some navigation lights for FS2, similar to NavBouys, but instead they are lights.

Perhaps, you could make a tiny invisible model and use the thruster glow for the light. The same way as the Karnak reactor glows.

Can it be done? Do you know what I'm talking about? Will anyone do it for me please?

Thanks.
--
Nick.
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
ooooh thats easy! Hell, I could even do it...

Maybe, when would you need it?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
yeah, that's easy, just make a rectangle and map it with a map called "invisible.pcx" (or transpaerent don't remember), and put the glows where you want. Don't forget tha yo need at least 2 glows per light (one front, one back),, and that the glow limit for a model is around 14 (I have a bad remembrance about this   )
SCREW CANON!

Can someone make this for me? I need it for the first mission in the Alpha Quadrant campaign. I have to finish the Alpha Quadrant project first, so there's no rush.

Thanks guys!
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
 yes its invisible.pcx

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
   -Fleet Admiral of The Ancients Armada

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Can you imagine it? Seeing your flagship coming out of spacedock and following the guide lights to the Jump Node?

You know the kind of lights I'm talking about, right? You know, the ones you see in a lot of science fiction movies.

By the way, I've added a load of screenshots and another MOD to my site. Check it out at www.geocities.com/gtva3000
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Hehehe - cool idea, Capt. Really neat!    

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Thanks man   I just hope it will look as good as I picture it in my head...
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
I believe I could make it for you.    

Send me glow specs to my email   [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joey_21 (edited 07-25-2001).]

Can you send me an e-mail at [email protected] to discuss it? Thanks Joey_21. Are you still happy with the Isis skin I made for you?

<edit> I didn't realise you left your email... disregard what I just wrote and standby for an email.

<edit2> That's not your correct e-mail address... two _'s?
------------------
--
'Captain' Nick Brown www.geocities.com/gtva3000

Resistance is Futile!

[This message has been edited by 'Captain' Nick Brown (edited 07-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 'Captain' Nick Brown (edited 07-25-2001).]
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by 'Captain' Nick Brown:
<edit2> That's not your correct e-mail address... two _'s?

I made an edit. Yes, it's supposed to have 2 _'s but I put one too many 0's in.  

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Too bad there's no way to make them blink on and off in sequence, like runway lights..  

------------------
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

What if you make a sexp to disable-enable the engines back and forth (if you make the model with an engine subsystem)?
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by 'Captain' Nick Brown:
What if you make a sexp to disable-enable the engines back and forth (if you make the model with an engine subsystem)?

That'd probably work. Want me to add that on to the model?

Yes please!!!
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
No, don't do it that way! Just use the police light approach- have a one or two rotating bars going around the light, or maybe a C-shape!  True, it would only blink in two dimensions, but it would make it a lot easier for the missions, and IMO would look cooler.  

Too bad FS2 doesn't have true dynamic lighting. You could have a mission in a black dust cloud nebula, and the only source of light was the buoys and other ships. Talk about your suspense...

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

If you want to download the current version - go to the FS2 MOD section of www.geocities.com/gtva3000
--
'Captain' Nick Brown

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by Sushi:
have a one or two rotating bars going around the light, or maybe a C-shape

Wouldn't work. There's no way to glue the glows onto rotating parts...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Joey_21:
Wouldn't work. There's no way to glue the glows onto rotating parts...

No, that's not what he means. He's talking about making the light as originally planned, and then having a simple rotating part around the light that would block out the light every time it rotates. Think like a big spinning letter "O" with the light in the center.

EDIT: Whoa! Brainstorm here! If you did the above, you could actually have the lights blinking on and off in sequence down a line (from a jump node to a station). How?  

Say you make a path defined by four lights per section - top, bottom, left and right. In the mission SEXPs, have each section of lights appear (or warp in without the warp effect) a number of miliseconds, say 100, after the one previous in line to it. If you place these sections at 500 meter intervals, you would have 5 kilometers of line appearing each second. Of course, you could speed up or slow down things by modifying just about anything...

Wow, I can't wait to put this into effect!  

------------------

[This message has been edited by sandwich (edited 07-25-2001).]

Offline Joey_21

Hmmmmm, I get it. Are you going to try this experiment or something?