Author Topic: n00b Attempts Shivan Mod (contains screenshots)  (Read 55311 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: n00b Attempts Shivan Mod (contains screenshots)
Gorgon versus Ares...who will win? ;)
The Gorgon is much faster and more maneuverable than the Ares but is weaker and mounts godawful Shivan primaries. Depends on how good a shot the Ares pilot is.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Gorgon versus Ares...who will win? ;)
The Gorgon is much faster and more maneuverable than the Ares but is weaker and mounts godawful Shivan primaries. Depends on how good a shot the Ares pilot is.

Pre-nerf, the gorgon had much better shields and almost the same armour. Post-nerf, shields were around the same, but armour is much weaker, I think. Also, the gorgon can completely pwn the ares using the new primaries I made. :D

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The post-nerf statistics you showed mean the Gorgon has stronger shields than the Ares (1000 vs. 650) but only around 1/5 the hull strength (100 vs. 475). A pilot in an Ares who could keep a bead on a Gorgon could shred it with Kaysers or, even better, Circes + Subachs.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The post-nerf statistics you showed mean the Gorgon has stronger shields than the Ares (1000 vs. 650) but only around 1/5 the hull strength (100 vs. 475). A pilot in an Ares who could keep a bead on a Gorgon could shred it with Kaysers or, even better, Circes + Subachs.
That gives the Ares a hull integrity advantage. And indeed, Shivan primaries are quite weak in general.

But the Gorgon's maneuverable, so it can definitely fly some circles around the Ares.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

All the aries pilot has to do is ram the gorgon. :P

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Oh yeah...collisions penetrate shields. :drevil:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

You've never rammed shivan fighters in a herc ii before? It's quite effective in some situations. :D

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

Have you ever tried to ram a maneuverable fighter?  It is next to impossible because it keeps running around.  By the time you actually manage to collide with it, you may very well have been able to kill it with your weapons.

Have you ever tried to ram a maneuverable fighter?  It is next to impossible because it keeps running around.  By the time you actually manage to collide with it, you may very well have been able to kill it with your weapons.

It's doable, more easily during dogfights with multiple fighters, and depends a lot on ai stupidity.

Offline blowfish

It's doable, more easily during dogfights with multiple fighters, and depends a lot on ai stupidity.

Doable, but not easy.

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Not easy, no, but if the fighter's moving at top speed it can only go to one of so many places.  Work out where it's headed and point yourself in that direction on full burn. 

Get the angles right and you can hit just about anything.  Even if you don't kill it, you'll strip it's momentum and make its course easliy predictable.

It's my favourite way of getting a Dragon to hold still for a second or two.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Release! Whoo!

http://www.mediafire.com/?4eph0zdmlzm (35.51mb 7z, extract to any mod directory)

Includes a demo mission and a whole lot of techroom entries (more intelligence entries to come). It may not be pretty, but it's playable.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Oh, yeah, AI stupidity plays a pivotal role in collisions. I've seen countless Nahemas ram into the Aquitaine and take damage...when they could fly around the destroyer's structure and not get hit. :wtf:

Release! Whoo!

http://www.mediafire.com/?4eph0zdmlzm (35.51mb 7z, extract to any mod directory)

Includes a demo mission and a whole lot of techroom entries (more intelligence entries to come). It may not be pretty, but it's playable.
* Androgeos Exeunt downloads the 7Zip file...
* Androgeos Exeunt crashes FS2_Open.
* Androgeos Exeunt crashes Windows.
* Androgeos Exeunt restarts the computer.
* Androgeos Exeunt creates a new HUD colour scheme.
* Androgeos Exeunt plays the mission "Sleeping Dragon".

Wow. I think it is quite well done. I've attached a sample of the HUD colour scheme I created.

Quote from: Shivan Wingman
Something's coming, and it's not friendly.

I liked that the most. :lol:

Uhh, I didn't really use the missiles, though...two Interceptors near the end of the mission, and that's it. :nervous:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:00:44 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

Wow. I think it is quite well done. I've attached a sample of the HUD colour scheme I created.
Hooray for first mission I've ever FREDed seriously? Personally, I thought most of the messages were too easy to miss during the action and had to keep reading my log afterwards. This problem wouldn't happen with voice acting, though. *cough*

Quote from: Shivan Wingman
Something's coming, and it's not friendly.

I liked that the most. :lol:
Those messages are from the shivan datafiles. I've been planning to mess with those, but I have no idea what to replace them with. The anis also don't show up for me, and I have no idea why.

Uhh, I didn't really use the missiles, though...two Interceptors near the end of the mission, and that's it. :nervous:
Shivans usually rely on their primaries. :P

Spoiler:
There are two ways to finish the mission, the easy (sortof) way, where you can do it without firing a shot, or the (crazy) hard way, which may have you running out of missiles and seeing why the techroom entry for your fighter fits. Yes, I've completed it both ways on medium difficulty.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hooray for first mission I've ever FREDed seriously? Personally, I thought most of the messages were too easy to miss during the action and had to keep reading my log afterwards. This problem wouldn't happen with voice acting, though. *cough*

Bah, use Microsoft Sam if you're not that up to it. Alternatively, if I really feel like it, I could try using LH Michael, which is MUCH better than Microsoft Sam... :nod:

Those messages are from the shivan datafiles. I've been planning to mess with those, but I have no idea what to replace them with. The anis also don't show up for me, and I have no idea why.

That's funny. You mean the techroom animation of the Astaroth fighter? That showed up fine. The only problem was that I couldn't select my loadout (before I modified the INI file and rerouted the Launcher to find the MediaVPs in the actual FS2_Open folder on my computer), otherwise FS2_Open would crash.

Shivans usually rely on their primaries. :P

Spoiler:
There are two ways to finish the mission, the easy (sortof) way, where you can do it without firing a shot, or the (crazy) hard way, which may have you running out of missiles and seeing why the techroom entry for your fighter fits. Yes, I've completed it both ways on medium difficulty.

The "way of the Shivan" works fine for me, since I tend to like shooting all over the place (one reason why I like to use Tempests...and Subachs...and Mekhus...and probably the Maxim if it did decent shield damage). :drevil:

Spoiler:
Uh-oh...you don't mean the part where those two things came in and started firing their USilv? :eek2:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:38:27 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

MP-Ryan

That's funny. You mean the techroom animation of the Astaroth fighter? That showed up fine. The only problem was that I couldn't select my loadout (before I modified the INI file and rerouted the Launcher to find the MediaVPs in the actual FS2_Open folder on my computer), otherwise FS2_Open would crash.

I meant the anis for the wingmen messages don't show up on my machine. For loadout, I don't think i had images for every ship. You need to select the 3d models for ship selection option in the launcher for everything to work nicely (I prefer to see exactly where my guns are, anyway). Also, the ini points at the default mediavps directory if you use fsoinstaller. I should provide more instructions with the next release, huh? :nervous:

The "way of the Shivan" works fine for me, since I tend to like shooting all over the place (one reason why I like to use Tempests). :drevil:

Spoiler:
Uh-oh...you don't mean the part where those two things came in and started firing their USilv? :eek2:
Spoiler:
When that happens, the hard part is over, and you can sit back and watch the fireworks (particularly if you finished it the easy way). You can tell you've finished it the hard way if you have completed the bonus mission goal. :D Also, those beams do slightly less damage per second than the LRed, if you take the fire wait into account.

:bump:

Terran ships and weapons from Darius' BluePlanet mod have been added to the mod. There will be a period of, uh, testing and balancing, before release. :D

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Alright. Hey, maybe I can try to convert Blackhole's shivan mini-campaign ? Unless you mind. No promises though.

Alright. Hey, maybe I can try to convert Blackhole's shivan mini-campaign ? Unless you mind. No promises though.
Go nuts. Just bear in mind that balance may be affected by the different weapons. It might be good to include an actual campaign in the pack too, instead of just a single demo mission. :P

In other news, BluePlanet ships are comparable to shivan ships with the new weapons in 1v1 testing, so balance is already taken care of. :D

I also grabbed a few models from the OTT modeldump in HC (guess which ones  ;7), not entirely sure how to credit that.

If Darius is reading this, I figured out how to do the nameplates on the ships from Stratcomm's fleet pack, so I can make nameplates for the ships in your campaign if you're willing to do the texture replace in the mission files.

Offline blowfish

IIRC Someone already made nameplates for BluePlanet, but they weren't added to  the missions.