Author Topic: A Bomb, a problem (well more than one)  (Read 2501 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
A Bomb, a problem (well more than one)
I've brough the following weapons in-game ... sadly I encountered a serious of trouble preventing this from working as it should --- the Wiki has been no help, so I hope there is someone out there able to help me out...

1st problem:
The Child bombs don't home in on the target vessel - actually "inherit parent target" should do this but it appearently doesn't
(worked without that flag and with HEAT as homing-type - but I didn't test that in the middle of huge fire-fight yet)

2nd problem:
The Child bombs take a some time to start homing in on the target after they have been spawned
(taking for granted that the homing-type is HEAT - otherwise they don't home in on the target at all!)

SOLVED

3rd problem:
How do prevent the child-bombs from spawning when the patent is shot down by the blob-turrets or flak while moving in on the target?

Does anyone know how to solve these?

-NEW tbl-data below-

ps. build used for testing is the "fs2_open_3_6_10-20071028T.exe" (yes - I've no keeping up with the recent builds since ... well .. a long time...)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:44:40 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Re: A Bomb, a problem (well more than one)
This is just from me reading the wiki, so I have no idea whether this will actually work, but it's worth a try, right?.

1. Hopefully this will make the child-bombs home in on target whatever angle they're spawned at (with "inherit parent target" flag):
Code: [Select]
$Homing:
    +Type: HEAT
    +View Cone: 180

2. Eliminate the free flight time:
$Free Flight Time: 0
3. No idea, sorry.

Offline 0rph3u5

This is just from me reading the wiki, so I have no idea whether this will actually work, but it's worth a try, right?.

1. Hopefully this will make the child-bombs home in on target whatever angle they're spawned at (with "inherit parent target" flag):
$Homing:
    +View Cone: 180

Worked (but used 360° instead of 180°), tested it with a close formation of three cruisers
EDIT: I've to correct myself - It DOES NOT work ... as long as the parent is shot down it appears work but when it is able to impact on the target it does not (the childs start off in different directions searching a target of their own)

2. Eliminate the free flight time:

Worked as well ...

I'll do something on the spawn agles now... and see if there is something that can be done about the 3rd point -- also I've an unresolved range issue here....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:39:18 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I believe there is a weapon flag for this... *looks it up*

"inherit parent target" it's called.

He already said that doesn't work.
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
"inherit parent target" aint gonna do you much good as only very, very few builds have that flag... Mine does...

Though you can certainly get very concentrated 'burst' with the spawned weapons by setting the angle to 0 and then adding rather large FOF value for the child weapon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Speaking of, Wanderer, how much more testing do you want on all your badass new code before you commit it?  Or is it close?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline 0rph3u5

"inherit parent target" aint gonna do you much good as only very, very few builds have that flag... Mine does...

sooo if there is a build (can you please by chance post a link to the build which includes the flag?) in which this would work does it work regardless the homing-type or does it have to be ASPECT?

NEW tbl:

$Name: Hailstorm
$Model File: M_Hailstorm.pof
$Mass: 25.0
$Velocity: 120.0
$Fire Wait: 32.5
$Damage: 50 
$Blast Force: 500.0
$Inner Radius: 50.0
$Outer Radius: 150.0 
$Shockwave Speed: 55.0 
$Armor Factor: 1.0
$Shield Factor: 0.75
$Subsystem Factor: 1.0
$Lifetime: 25.0
$Energy Consumed: 0.0
$Cargo Size: 20.0
$Homing: YES
    +Type: ASPECT
    +Turn Time: 1.0
    +Min Lock Time: 5.0 
    +Lock Pixels/Sec: 35
    +Catch-up Pixels/Sec: 70
    +Catch-up Penalty: 12
$LaunchSnd: 97
$ImpactSnd: 101
$FlyBySnd: -1
$Rearm Rate: 0.1
+Weapon Range: 4500
+Weapon Min Range: 1000
$Flags: ( "player allowed" "Spawn Hailstorm-Baby, 5" "Bomb" "No Dumbfire")
$Trail:
    +Start Width: 0.75
    +End Width: 0.25 
    +Start Alpha: 1.0
    +End Alpha: 0.0
    +Max Life: 5.5
    +Bitmap: MissileTrail03
$Icon: icon_hailstorm
$Anim: hailstorm
$Impact Explosion: ExpMissileHit1
$Impact Explosion Radius: 10.0
$Spawn Angle: 15

$Name: Hailstorm-Baby
$Model File: Tempest.pof
$Mass: 25.0
$Velocity: 185.0
$Fire Wait: 0.0
$Damage: 750
$Blast Force: 375.0
$Inner Radius: 100.0
$Outer Radius: 200.0
$Shockwave Speed: 140
$Armor Factor: 1.0
$Shield Factor: 0.02
$Subsystem Factor: 0.5
$Lifetime: 25.0
$Energy Consumed: 0.0
$Cargo Size: 1.0
$Homing: YES
    +Turn Time: 1.0
    +View Cone: 90
$LaunchSnd: -1
$ImpactSnd: -1
$FlyBySnd: -1
$Flags: ( "Bomb" "Huge" "supercap" "inherit parent target" "child" )
$Trail:
    +Start Width: 0.95
    +End Width: 0.35 
    +Start Alpha: 1.0
    +End Alpha: 0.0
    +Max Life: 2.5 
    +Bitmap: MissileTrail01
$Icon: iconmissile08
$Anim: LoadMissile06
$Impact Explosion: ExpMissileHit1
$Impact Explosion Radius: 15.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:22:09 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
That should have it... Just don't use 3D radar with it (its old build which still has a bug in it)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,54465.0.html
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light