Author Topic: Bug-fixing the PVD Astarte  (Read 3902 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Bug-fixing the PVD Astarte
Okay - no long speeches...
I (once again) need a modeler - but this time its nothing serious

I'm looking for someone to do a small job for me which Im to lazy and incompetent to do...
for the Shard Of Infinity I've modified the GVD Astarte from INFR1 (credit will be given once released - dont worry) to fit in the campaigns reconstruction-era setting, fewer turrets, altered stats and the like... but the imense size of that ship is still a problem...  
It simply needs to be downscaled (don't worry about turret or path data) to a about 60-70% of it current size (so it does not dwarf the Typhon anymore)

EDIT: PVD Astarte thread at freespacemods.net
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:26:49 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Re: Where to get a modeler these days....
You can do that in ts3, or 3dexploration in seconds.

You don't need a modeler.  :D

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You can do it in PCS2.
Simply change POF scaling factor to 100 (helpful if you want to know how much you're rescaling the ship) ,save as .COB ,set scaling factor to 65 (I took average of size range you want) and import .COB back to PCS2.
You can set POF scaling factor in preferences tab.
Hope that helps.

Offline 0rph3u5

that did something - appearently what was intended
but as little sideeffect the Astarte is now a Ulysses in FRED....
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
???

Ulysses is the default player ship, not sure if that's related or not.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
that did something - appearently what was intended

That method requires a bit of fixing of the header data in PCS2.
The POF -> COB -> POF tends to corrupt the LOD settings, and the scaling for the subsystems.

Not a real problem though, as it's a five to ten minute job to set everything back right.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline 0rph3u5

The POF -> COB -> POF tends to corrupt the LOD settings, and the scaling for the subsystems.

that did it...
now I'm off without any path-data... but that should be easy

thanks

==================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
that did something - apparently what was intended

It was my nightmare when I converted SOSD Solaris.
Glad to see you found an solution to this problem ,I tried to handle this but finally switched to GTD Daegon ,which caused no problems. Apparently it was caused by LODs which Daegon is lacking.
And I have one more question.
Are the multipart turrets working?
I'm asking because I rescaled the ship (Steve'o's Karuna) and multipart turrets were acting weird.
I never rescaled ship with multipart turrets after that ,so I would like to know if you succeed.

Offline 0rph3u5

I've not checked 'cause the V-LRMs are not ready yet...
but I've a long weekend so it will be no problem to send it into a test against Iraklions and a Galatas...

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Are the multipart turrets working?

the multi-part turrets are firing but that's it - no orientation of some sorts

another problem came up through: the Galatas need just 2 salvos from its uber-blobs to disarm all turrets on the Astarte - the turrets appear to have their "damage sphere" anywhere and nowhere on the model

==================

Offline Topgun

oh yeah, I forgot about the asteroid, sorry.

Offline 0rph3u5

oh yeah, I forgot about the asteroid, sorry.

mis-post?

Never drink and post, dude

==================

Offline Topgun

I confused you with someone else.

Offline 0rph3u5

Alright...

Someone got an idea about that turret problem? (turrets appear to have a "damage sphere" equal to the model size -> 2 shots with some fire power and its disarmed...)

==================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I tried to find why Hyperion's turrets are acting weird and I think I found a problem.
Bounding box of multipart turrets got somehow streched ,and that's why is causing strange behaviour.
Maybe on Asarte they also got extended ,so they cover entire ship.
You can try to do two things:
1. Delete barrels in PCS2 before conversion and see if that helps.
2. Get a modeler.
I will use the second solution because I don't want to
lose Hyerion's multiparts ,but Asarte is lo-poly and it's turrets
will look only slightly more crappy without barrels.
You may need a modleler.

EDIT: I recalled I heard of another method of conversion but I know nothing about it.
You may try to find PCS2 with POF-Collada support ,but I don't know how
stable is this version or if it's possible to use it for rescaling.
(I wanted to do this ,but it was on my old computer with Windows Millenium and there
wasn't any POF-Collada version for this OS)

Offline Droid803

If you want, I could run the thing through some cleanup in 3ds max, get it back into POF, and *sigh* manually do all the turret data.
That may or may not make it work.
Obviously, someone more skilled than I am at modeling would probably do this a lot better, but I have a feeling they're all quite busy.
(´・ω・`)

Offline 0rph3u5

I've checked up...
the bounding boxes appear to be okay but the most of the turrets are listed to have a radius nearly as large as the model itself

UPLOADED
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:30:51 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Droid803

Ok, I've had a look at it.
The multiparts don't rotate because well, in the POF, it says they can't.

The way to fix that is to change it from "No Movement" to "Rotate" in PCS2. That should fix your issue of the multiparts not working.

The radius error I think I'll need to reinstall my modelling program to fix. Somehow, the turrets center turned into the center of the model.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:03:09 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline 0rph3u5

The radius error I think I'll need to reinstall my modelling program to fix. Somehow, the turrets center turned into the center of the model.

any progress?

==================

Offline Droid803

Re: Bug-fixing the PVD Astarte
Ok, I think I'm just going to export the INFR1 one to 3ds Max, rescale, then re-export. Seems like it'll be quicker than fixing the turret centers.

I'll do that now.
(´・ω・`)