Author Topic: Persephone Core  (Read 2692 times)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Hey, it's AndrewofDoom. You know, the guy who was on a team that had lots of colorful ships and made mods that are the antithesis of Blue Planet. I had to drop SHMUPSpace because, baring a complete physics engine rewrite, it just wouldn't work. So now I'm starting this mod, which I've had the desire to start since I made official the death of SAFSO, but didn't feel motivated until now.

Is there...a plot?

Yeah, a very bare bones one.

The year is 2312. Ten years ago, planet Persephone in the Alpha Centauri system was the first and only extrasolar colony to be established by the human race. Behind the cheerful name, though, is a the planet that is barely habitable with its thin atmosphere and minimal plant life. Despite that, people living there make a decent living and have generally happy lives away from the increasingly bureaucratic and corrupt Solar Government. A few hours ago, a previously unknown race known as the Mezrid destroyed numerous installations in the system with asteroids. With most of the Solar Government Navy's garrisons in the system having been destroyed, the Mezrids are now converging on Persephone itself.

You play an unnamed pilot who was transferred to Persephone's garrison five years ago to hide a political scandal. The pilot (designation "Seraphim 1") is one of the few remaining survivors of the Mezrid attacks. And when all hope seemed lost for the planet, she finds a shipment of the newest Aether series of fighters in yesterday's shipment. She knows that the Solar Government Navy would take a week to respond to the attack which would be too late. With the much superior power of the Aether fighters, she takes off for a mission she won't likely return from.

It's time for you to go out and crush the evil Mezrid Empire!

TL;DR: Evil aliens show up, go blow them up with your shiny superfighter.

So, how does this game play

Well, ideally it'll play as a spiritual successor to Stellar Assault (As played by the lead of SAFSO)

What this basically entails is this:
  • This mod is also the antithesis of Blue Planet with its entire focus being solely on gameplay and just having a serious but goofy mood to it.
  • Ships have an enforced minimum speed (Thanks Niffiwan!)
  • You ship is tied to the energy level. Flying, shooting weapons, and restoring your health will drain your energy. If you run out of energy, it will siphon it from all your ship's health.
  • In old school arcade tradition, it's you all by yourself against a horde of enemy ships
  • Unlike most space sims, destroying capital ships is not as simple as shooting center mass. You must slow dismember the ship bit by bit to do increasing amounts of damage.
  • A scoring system that scores you based on enemies destroyed, energy and health left, time taken, and bonuses based on 100% kills and beating the par time.
  • This is going for a mid-90s appearance with a really good aesthetic.

(A picture of me testing the energy system. And yes this is a mod for nuWoD)

So, do you need any help?
  • If you're a programmer, I could need help with this and this as these two are show stoppers for me.
  • I can also use some artists for characters and also concept art. I'm planning for the most part to model my own ships, but that doesn't mean I'm really good at coming up with my own designs.
  • I also could need someone to keep me on task. I'm so easily distracted it seems.

I really could use some help. ;-;

And a name. I can't call it NotSAFSO the whole time.

But hey, I got a name now! Hurray.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:46:02 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
Re: A New Untitled Mod Announcement
So while I wait for my feature request and bug fix to go through SCP so I can start working on the meat of the gameplay, I started working on ship designs. And I'm stumped since I'm not quite the creative person.

This is a WIP of my first I'm working on. This is the Gremmler, the Delmmer analogue from the original Stellar Assault. Easiest ship ever with its low health and hilariously slow projectiles. To die to this thing should mean you should uninstall this game and go play something else. Problem is, I don't know where I want to go with this and I'm out of ideas. Anyone who is creative should give me ideas on where to go.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: A New Untitled Mod Announcement
er... does the opposition fleet has some sort of design aethestic? Something to guide the design of all their ships?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
er... does the opposition fleet has some sort of design aethestic? Something to guide the design of all their ships?

The idea of the Mezrid ship design is based on the ship designs of both Stellar Assault games and the Deep Purple boss from Thunder Force V

Problem is, from my eyes, it doesn't seem to be that I'm getting anywhere like that. I'm good at copycating already existing designs and that's about it. Why do you think my best models are just remakes?  Like this one

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:48:27 pm by AndrewofDoom »
My Efforts:
SF Knight

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey, it's AndrewofDoom. You know, the guy who was on a team that had lots of colorful ships and made mods that are the antithesis of Blue Planet

I thought your mods were about good-looking ships, creative gameplay, and fun? But your pitch says 'antithesis of Blue Planet'? :confused:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This looks super cool so I would hope it is not the antithesis of Blue Planet because I think Blue Planet is fun and then this would not be fun.

Offline starlord

How about usine SAFSO assets? Those ships were creative, and seing that super carrier in action (graduloza is it?) would be great.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• Twitter
How about usine SAFSO assets? Those ships were creative, and seing that super carrier in action (graduloza is it?) would be great.

This actually made me stop and think for a whole day. The main reason why I started this mod is because I wanted this to be a distinct project from SAFSO. But then I realized most of what I want can be just done with SAFSO instead. So to prevent pointless overlap, I've come to the idea of just killing off this mod and resurecting SAFSO instead.

Oh and I got Quanto back, so there's good news there. Time to put this mod behind me and time to say hello to the new SAFSO.
My Efforts:
SF Knight