Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 617494 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
Macross 30th: Voices Across the Galaxy

Frustrating as hell that I don't speak Japanese or read kanji, but I'm getting the gist of the story from what little I do know and a kanji dictionary.

Game itself is pretty fun, kind of a wide-open RPGish action game. I really want to find something other than a VF-0 though, those fighters are ancient history in-universe (50+ year old design) and it kind of shows. They handle like flying potatoes, their afterburner has almost no juice, and their cruising speed is very low.

On the other hand, the VF-0S has mini-nukes as a standard armament, so that evens things out a bit. Ammo's kind of scarce, though.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
FTL Faster than Light. This game is frustratingly difficult but so addicting. It's good that every decision counts, but it's punishing when you make ONE wrong move. The way of the rogue-like, so it seems.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Aaand now I've gotten hooked on the new Shadow Warrior. Loving these katana mechanics.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
just got a used wii and rogue leader III for gamecube.  it seemed like back in the day everyone was saying this was an incredible game.  it's actually kinda crappy.  inferior to II.  on to other things i guess.  i got metroid prime also, never played that.  and to my surprise, there are a fair few free games on the wii virtual console, and good ones at that.  i'm tempted to buy ocarina of time and majora's mask on there too.  has anyone played these via the virtual console?  if so, are they proper ports or just kinda crappy emulations?  i'm also kinda thinking about getting a 3ds, so maybe it's better to get OOT and eventually MM on there.  or try to find one of the gamecube OOT disks.  i'd like to play master quest, and i'm guessing it's not included in the virtual console version.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:54:14 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
virtual console is a rom bundeled with an emulator.

Zelda collector's edition for gamecube turned out to be a couple of ROMs bundled with emulators.

i dont know how good the VC emulations are but the ones on Zelda Collector's edition for gamecube is pretty damn good.

The OoT debug ROM floating around on the internet is based on or related to the European version of OoT Master Quest. All the dungeons and stuff are from MQ anyway.

nb4 Nintendo never makes an HD/3D version of Majora's Mask. It's my favorite one, too.

begins foaming at the mouth at the mention of Metroid Prime
TROIDZ
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:47:15 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
googling says it's been pretty much announced for 3ds already following the one that's about to release here in the next month or so.  i guess 10 bucks and i get to play it on a TV is better than waiting around for a couple years for maybe a bit better graphics on a handheld that i don't even own yet for probably $40.  but i'll probably get and play through all the old skool NES/SNES ones available first.  are any of the handheld ones super worth it?  i've only played the one with the wind fish.  lately my disposable income has been telling me it really wants to be spent.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Now i am playing Rainbow Six Vegas :). Time to stop/vaporise/shoot some Tango :).
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
The only handheld zelda I really enjoyed was Oracle of Ages for Gameboy Color.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:22:12 am by FlamingMamba »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
FTL Faster than Light. This game is frustratingly difficult but so addicting. It's good that every decision counts, but it's punishing when you make ONE wrong move. The way of the rogue-like, so it seems.
I've recently googled "FTL mods" and got pleasantly surprised. There's a lot more fun to be had just when you thought that game was starting to get boring (like, when you've unlocked all the ships like me...)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
googling says it's been pretty much announced for 3ds already following the one that's about to release here in the next month or so.  i guess 10 bucks and i get to play it on a TV is better than waiting around for a couple years for maybe a bit better graphics on a handheld that i don't even own yet for probably $40.  but i'll probably get and play through all the old skool NES/SNES ones available first.  are any of the handheld ones super worth it?  i've only played the one with the wind fish.  lately my disposable income has been telling me it really wants to be spent.
Oracle of Ages/Seasons for the GB Color were quite enjoyable; they were actually the first two Zelda titles I ever played.  They can both be played separately, but you can also link the two using a passcode to get the "true" story experience.  Minish Cap for the GB Advance was decent enough, though nothing really memorable in my book.  The first DS game, Phantom Hourglass, suffered somewhat from a single central dungeon that you had to keep rerunning a few times during the game, and a travel feature that wasn't nearly as enjoyable (at least in my view) as Wind Waker's.  Its follow-up, Spirit Tracks, was a big improvement that I enjoyed a lot, and is notable for being about the only game in the series where Zelda herself plays a prominent gameplay role over the entire thing.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Playing through Assassin's Creed for the first time.  I don't usually do violent games, but the backstory had me intrigued for a while; I don't know what took me so long to play it.  I don't like the lengthy procedure for exiting the game (exit the animus, "quit", select your profile, then quit again), the repetitive background NPC dialog gets really tiresome after a while (especially beggars getting all up in my face "No you don't understand!  I have nothing!" Does it look like I have any coins to give you, *****?), and the gameplay gets a bit repetitive (all three cities are basically the same, just laid out slightly different).  Other than that, I like it, and I've been assured AC2 is a bit better.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

I don't like the lengthy procedure for exiting the game (exit the animus, "quit", select your profile, then quit again)

After you just exit the first part, to make sure your game saved, just hit alt-f4 to close. It works without causing damage, I resorted to that as soon as I figured out that I could. And the second one is much better in many respects. Less grindy, more story-y and varied.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't like the lengthy procedure for exiting the game (exit the animus, "quit", select your profile, then quit again)

After you just exit the first part, to make sure your game saved, just hit alt-f4 to close. It works without causing damage, I resorted to that as soon as I figured out that I could. And the second one is much better in many respects. Less grindy, more story-y and varied.

That's what I've ended up doing the last few times.

Addendum:  Sadly, other than occasionally freezing for no apparent reason (should I disable Windows Aero?), my game appears to be glitch-free.  So no wall-humping soldiers or orgy of death for me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:51:47 pm by Kopachris »
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Since I had a free afternoon I decided to get the Nürburgring 24 hour race done in Gran Turismo 4, using B-Spec mode of course (there's no way I'd want to do a race for a full 24 hours myself even with breaks), so I could unlock the Formula Gran Turismo. I started at 3pm today and, since it only allows speeding up by 3 times, it only just finished (had to take breaks for dinner and stuff and auto pitting doesn't reset it to 3 times speed). I'm glad that's over with now!

Also, I've been playing more Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (I got all stars in World Tour about a month ago, but still have to unlock every character's mods) - trying my first few public online games today and winning a few - and Pokémon X after it came out two weekends ago (already! That flew by fast).

I have been really enjoying the latter so far, and keeping myself in the dark about most of the new features and Pokémon (as in, those that weren't revealed before hand) has made it an even better experience, I think. I actually am just before the Pokémon league, which I'm kind of surprised of getting to so quickly (about 30 hours or so, if I recall correctly) - the new Experience and Exp. Share mechanics probably helped with that!

Also I might do something I haven't done before and restart the game to do the story again if the Pokémon Bank, when it's released, allows you to download your Pokémon back to the game if you reset it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:08:41 am by ssmit132 »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Still playing Book of Unwritten Tales on and off.

Thought about trying Realms of the Haunting, which seems appropriate for Halloween. The graphics are pretty pixelated even in a 1024x768 window on my 1920x1080 screen, and the controls are clunky, which actually makes the game a bit scarier in that it's harder to see what's coming and defend yourself. Eh.

Started Borderlands 2, played for a couple hours so far and I give it a solid OK. Fun, but I'm not blown away.

I'd be playing Pokémon X/Y if I had a 3DS, then again the thread isn't "What would you be playing/do you wish you were playing right now?"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Started Borderlands 2, played for a couple hours so far and I give it a solid OK. Fun, but I'm not blown away.

I found the 2nd is nowhere near as compelling as the first.  It retains the levelling problem - just as you get a good weapon, it gets out-classed due to the levelling mechanic, legendaries are stupidly difficult to get which results in grind-y farming for which there is no point until you reach max level due to the aforementioned levelling issue, it is poorly balanced for solo play, and it just isn't as much fun.

I spend well over 100 hours in the first game, much of it just collecting all of the various kinds of weapons.  The second game I finished one playthrough and went half-way through the second, then said to hell with it and uninstalled.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Yeah, I'm thinking this game doesn't merit the prime real estate of my SSD and is gonna get bumped to the secondary HD rather than uninstalled entirely. Not sure when I'll pick it up next, though.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Director's Cut
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Director's Cut

What's it like? Is it worth the $5 it would cost me to get it when I already have the original DXHR and DLC, neither of which I've played yet?

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Terraria because Halloween update
So many halloween events

Warframe has an event
Spiral Knights
Killing floor
More
"No"