Author Topic: RELEASE: Sync  (Read 99817 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Haha, that's all right. It's old work.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I'm getting a bug similar to the "red alert" bug other posters mentioned. The thing is, I'm using 3.6.10, shouldn't that be gone?

Symptoms are on the mission where the Persistence appears, I have no control over my ship and external view shows nothing where my ship should be.

Any idea what's going on? I'm using the "Sync with MediaVP support" package from fsmods.
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.217

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Well, the "Red alert" bug workaround fixed the problem, but it's still troubling that something that should have been fixed in 3.6.10 apparently wasn't.

Also, just finished the campaign. Nice work, it was fun! :) It looks like my other comments have already been said (last half-dozen missions dragged a bit, ending without a sequel is majorly unsatisfying). But yeah, good work!

Offline Mikes

last half-dozen missions dragged a bit, ending without a sequel is majorly unsatisfying

Mhhh there might be potential to do a sequel one way or the other, but... as i understood it the ending was quite complete... quite final even... and to me at least quite satisfying as well.

I certainly don't see however how a sequel is "needed" to improve the ending of Sync and if there was a sequel, it would likely pick up somewhere else entirely...
Spoiler:
...matter of fact "Transcend" even could be understood as such a "kind" of sequel already.

From my viewpoint:
Spoiler:
It is very very very unlikely the Shivans actually invaded the GTVA.
It's quite unlikely that any member of the "expedition" is still alive in what could be considered "our reality"... and that is right from the point of the "Sync accident" onward.
It's almost certain that, if they still exist, they are not "human" anymore - not in the traditional sense of the word anyways - and there were strong hints along these lines way before the actual ending.
The Final mission presents itself as a possible metaphor for them coming to terms with the end of their existence in an environment that their minds can not begin to grasp.

The last couple of missions worked just fine for me, as they conveyed the rising despair of the characters quite well... and the ending... just great.

Megaspoiler:
On a related note: The "Transcend" campaign also offers a possible/potential explanation of what "might" have happened to one of Sync's protagonists.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:07:23 pm by Mikes »

Getting an error. In mission 8 I think Endurance there's an unknown node, and only 1 wingmate appears. You're supposed to warp through the node but I can't.

I also got a message in the beginning about 30 errors relating to mediavps (I'm using 3.6.10 RC3 and the latest mediavps I'm certain). I assumed these are just graphical quirks and I didn't notice any problems at all until now.

Offline Machaka

Getting an error. In mission 8 I think Endurance there's an unknown node, and only 1 wingmate appears. You're supposed to warp through the node but I can't.

I also got a message in the beginning about 30 errors relating to mediavps (I'm using 3.6.10 RC3 and the latest mediavps I'm certain). I assumed these are just graphical quirks and I didn't notice any problems at all until now.

I am also getting the jump node error

I also got the 30 errors until I installed the MediaVPs-enabled version that someone posted later in this thread-  think the version in Post 1 is obsolete

same here :<

Offline Machaka

is there a fix to the Unknown Jump Node issue?  can't progress through the campaign as is

I am having the same problem too with the jump node I cannot jump or anything no matter how long I wait or if I speed up time it won't let me how do you get past it?

Would Ransom please give an answer. I have the same problem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Guys, you're just going to have to play a different campaign for now. Somehow the new .exes broke Sync, which is not Ransom's fault.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
For everyone with the jump node issue: [link]

Unzip that mission into Sync/data/missions/. It's a very strange bug - for some reason the distance-from-jumpnode event simply isn't firing. I expect Battuta's right and it's some kind of bizarre incompatibility. Hopefully it won't recur in any other missions, but I can't be sure.

I found one way to fix the problem when you do cheats  www.freespace2.com and all and then do `/~ + G, and the cheats to make all goals finished when you go to the jump node it allows you to jump for somereason Idk why

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What exactly is broken here?  I compared the two versions of the mission with WinMerge and I didn't see anything that would cause such a bug.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Well, you wouldn't. That's the problem. There's a simple less-than distance event tied to the player and a waypoint which fix-warps the player when it becomes true. But it will not trigger with the current builds, regardless of the player's proximity to the waypoint. I don't know why. My temporary 'solution' was to simply not break-warp the player in the first place.

Hanyuu's post above seems to suggest it's not firing because it's tied up somehow in a goal, but there's nothing in that event which references any.

EDIT: That's interesting - the event will function normally with a physical object instead of a waypoint. For some reason the mission's not processing waypoints properly, or at the very least distance arguments containing them.

EDIT THE SECOND: Man, I don't even know. With a physical object in roughly the same place as the waypoint, the waypoint works fine for the distance event. But if I delete the physical object, it stops working. I've updated the link I posted above.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:29:59 am by Ransom Arceihn »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just spent about six hours solving it, and it's one of the most obscure bugs I've ever come across.  It was caused by WMC's giant commit of features back in August 2008.  Here's the eureka moment from IRC:

Code: [Select]
[03:23] <Zacam> So, what the **** was he _trying_ to do there?
[03:23] <Goober5000> he was being too clever by half
[03:24] <Goober5000> he was checking for warp distance to complete the warp effect
[03:24] <Goober5000> problem is, the warp effect is governed by time, not distance
[03:24] <portej05> umm... is that really a good idea given warp is time, not distance?
[03:24] <Zacam> Which regular DIDN'T NEED.
[03:24] <Zacam> ****.
[03:24] <Goober5000> so in this mission, Alpha 2 warped in but he was DISABLED, so he didn't go the distance expected
[03:25] <Goober5000> which mean he never stopped arriving
[03:25] <Zacam> fffffffffff
[03:25] <portej05> argh!
[03:25] <Zacam> So, how in the hell does that add up to not being able to warp out?
[03:25] <Goober5000> which meant he never executed his AI code (which wasn't really noticeable because again, he was disabled)
[03:25] <Goober5000> and because he never executed the AI, there is NO SHIP in the mission that executes AI (the player doesn't count)
[03:26] <Goober5000> which means that ai_process never executed, which meant waypoints were never created
[03:26] <Goober5000> and since waypoints were never created, the distance check never succeeded
[03:26] <Goober5000> and so the player's warp was never restored
[03:26] <Zacam> Well ****.
[03:26] <Goober5000> that's like an eight-link chain of dependencies there :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Revision 5604 has the fix.  It's available in the nightly build board.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 03:47:27 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
WIN Nightlies are building now, as Goober already mentioned they will have the fix in place, including commit 5606 which de-couples waypoint to process at mission post-process.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Haha, oh man. That's something else. Thanks guys.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Not to spam, but 5606 is up for windows folks. 5604 will also work just fine for the linx folks, and an OS X build should be coming up soon.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys