Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 11137 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also, I have to humbly disagree with Battuta.  This has blown the first game completely out of the water thus far.  And I can't say I've yet been stuck for a minute or two looking for a place to put a portal, and that's usually because of my own inability to look upward than anything else.

With the possible exception of the ending, there was nothing as brilliant and funny as the weighted companion cube, or the cake, or the end fight banter about how you were adopted, or -

It was a good game. It just never took off.

I felt the ending to be extremely exciting and rewarding, not to mention unexpected. How did it not take off?

Read my posts in this thread. I also didn't say anything bad about the ending, in fact I declared it basically the best part of the game. If you somehow contrived to miss that I can only assume you are trisomic on the 21st.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
So far Portal 2 rocks my house. That's gaming evolution at its finest :yes:

If you somehow contrived to miss that I can only assume you are trisomic on the 21st.

Usually it's not funny to make jokes about genetic deficiency, but :lol:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

If you somehow contrived to miss that I can only assume you are trisomic on the 21st.

Usually it's not funny to make jokes about genetic deficiency, but :lol:

I thought it was pretty pathetic  :blah:.

Then again, its probalby :lol: in the sight of the masive 'fanboyism' surrounding Portal 2, with people even saying it's a console port for crying out loud. Next they will be saying the same about the Witcher.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Anyone who thinks this game is a ****ty console port has mental encopresis. It is clearly not. And it is a great game with lots of memorable moments. The people ****ing around on Metacritic are worthless human detritus.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have no idea where this "Console port" business is coming from. The handling is exactly the same as it was in Portal 1.

The only thing I started to intensely dislike after a while were the loading screens, which seemed to happen quite often, but I gather that that's more of an issue with the Source engine than with the game itself.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The loading screen issue IS source.
The only console-related thing that's in the PC version is the fact that your character is guided slightly into portals compared to portal 1.
Other than that it's so not a console port, and even if it was, it's not a bad one, it's certainly good enough that you can't tell if it is.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Your character was guided into portals in the original game, too, at least as long as that option was checked. :p

And I dunno, Battuta...the fact that, where I'm at right now,

Spoiler:
GLaDOS is currently in a potato stuck on my portal gun

pretty much trumps anything that happened in the first game for me personally. :D And Wheatley's antics were terrific too.

Spoiler:
Throw the switch!
Wait no if you throw ARGHARKLN!
I know we're in imminent danger and probably about to die but that was totally worth it.
GOLD
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Say, you tech guys: if, hypothetically, a person attempted to play Portal 2 with a intelgrated graphics card that only goes up to pixel shader 2.0, what do you think the effect in-game would be? (Portal 2 is listed as requiring shader 2.0b)
Because I'm trying to get the game to work on a friends computer, and I suspect that this is the culprit.

Techy
Spoiler:
Nothing renders except the interface. Everything is black, except for the menu, crosshairs, and tips. Also there's a very bright error in the console log that says "trying to set a pixel shader that failed loading"

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
To be honest, my both most favorite and most frustrating parts were the retrolabs.

And to be honest... the deeper implications of the whole deal thoroughly disturb me.

Spoiler:
also, how the hell did they come up with the portal device in the 50's/60's?!?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Too bad I'm literally broke and can't afford to buy games for at least the rest of the entire year.  ****.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Spoiler:
also, how the hell did they come up with the portal device in the 50's/60's?!?

if you will notice, there were signs that showed a massive backpack setup in that section.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yep.  It wasn't quite so compact then. :p

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken