Author Topic: The Memory of Shadows Announced  (Read 5270 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The Memory of Shadows Announced
This was just posted on the HLP General Discussion forum but I thought it more important to post here.

Steven Beck will direct a big screen adaptation of the popular sci-fi TV series Babylon 5. The movie, titled The Memory of Shadows, is intended for theatrical release and was written by series creator J. Michael Straczynski. Production Weekly reports that the project starts filming this April in the UK.

In "Shadows," the technology of the ancient and extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon the galaxy by an unknown force, and Earthforce intelligence officer Diane Baker, whose brother was recently killed in a mysterious explosion, it out to find out who is behind the intergalactic conspiracy.

Joining her is Galen, a techno-mage who has been charged with keeping the technology out of the hands of those who would abuse it.

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7515

Sounds like it takes off where Crusade sort of left off.  Excellent!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline redmenace

It is awesome that they are going to have a full legnth movie, but I hope it doesn't resemble crusade though.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Argh, everyone should stop thinking that Crusade was bad. It was bad because nearly all freedom was taken away from JMS and idiots of TNT ****ed it up. If JMS would have had his way, the show would have been much better. And because JMS drew the line, the show was cancelled.

Offline redmenace

NO COMPLAINT THERE
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Crusade was still VERY good.  I'm buying the DVD set when it comes out.  I enjoyed the characters, the stories...it hurt a little frm the TNT destruction in some episodes but otherwise I liked it....
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's worth remember that our memories of how good series 1 of B5 was is tainted by our knowledge of where the hanging plot elements went.

With Crusade we never got to see the explainations so a lot of the wonder is lost.

Personally I reckon that while Crusade probably would't have beaten B5 it did have it in it to be the second best Sci-fi show ever made. :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:26:11 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by IceFire
Crusade was still VERY good.  I'm buying the DVD set when it comes out.  I enjoyed the characters, the stories...it hurt a little frm the TNT destruction in some episodes but otherwise I liked it....

According to this site, the Crusade DVD pack should have been introduced yesterday.  I just checked on Amazon and they have it up for purchase, with no indication that it hasn't already been released.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Crusade grew on me. Galen and Gideon where starting to become really interesting characters. Right about the point where it got axed. Silly really. Put all that effort into green lighting a show then axe it just at the point whre it's plainly obviously starting to hit it's stride. Only in television. I do hope this "theatrical" movie turns out okay. Having witnessed Rangers, I'm somewhat concerned :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The really stupid thing is that they must have known that Crusade would turn a profit (even if only from DVD and video sales) so why on Earth did they axe it?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Simply because JMS refused to make the changes TNT 'experts' requested. Like more fighting and wrestling, more tits, always explaining what they were doing, no references to original B5, etc, etc, etc. So they pulled financial support from the show.

Other parts of Crusade suggested that it was NOT going to be that good though. Remember the Earth had supposidely built that giant shadow ship which pulverized Giddy-ups ship in one blast. That was just silly, Earth shouldn't have anywhere near that level of technology.

I hope that movie will be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline -Norbert-

Was it said that they build every componend of the ship?
Maybe they found a kind of depot of the shadows and just integrated an already build shadow weapon into the hybrid.

And I hope this time they do the Technomages better. Because in the Technomage Trilogy Galen is (and casts spells) very different than in Crusade and those books got an over 90% "cannon-rating" from JMS.

And the german translation of Crusade was REALLY bad.

Offline Ranger1

Man that moderator went and took my name from firstones. :mad:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Didn't Sci-Fi try and pick up Crusade for awhile...? I know they at least ran it...that's the only way I ever watched it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

:(

That is NOT good news. Not good at all. I hope to god, great maker, G'quan, Lorien, Kosh, that it is not true! *Begins screaming and running around*

Offline -Norbert-

The site refuses to load.
So whats that bad news?:nervous:

They're thinking of replacing Bruce, Mira, Jerry etc. etc. with more 'big name' actors. Hell, even GALEN might get swapped, but he was like Kosh mk 2.

I hope to hell they're wrong and it's just some crazy rumour.

Offline redmenace

You know those that are using shadow technology are going to be ex earth force and night watch. Maybe disgruntled Psi Corp
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline -Norbert-

I'm sure JMS would never go along with that.

To the Psi-cops. Why not? They lost their father and mother to watch over them ;)