Author Topic: How will you be releasing?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
  • Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
How will you be releasing?
Thorn's right.  HW and HW:C music is singular in how it plays.  It is not like freespace 2's alternating music with ambience, battle tracks and arrival ques.

Also in regards to providing instructions to extracting the HW music, this idea is good but not very usable.  The present tools available do not allow for music extraction and convertion from HW to FS2 with any ease.

I'll go over the basics.

To extract the HW music a program called 'homesong' is typically used (although I have heard rumour of another program, but not personally encoutered it).

Homesong extracts the music files out from the archive file in a numbered format.  The files are not playable on typical music players.  To listen to them you will need winamp and a plug released by relic (homeworld programmers).

Note that more recent versions of winamp do not seem to work with the plug in (winamp versions 2.78 and 2.79).

After extraction and with the correct tools/programs installed the music/sound itself then needs to be converted.  This can be done by eaither good old fashion record and playback method (play the file in winamp and record it in a wave format in another file) or convert it directly through winamp with any one of the many plugins available.

Now comes yet another conversion.  For those people who are not liturate in sound editing and WAVE files, there is more than one type of WAVE file format.  The standard format is PCM.  To my knowledge Freespace 2 will not play standard PCM wave files.  It will only play Microsoft ADPCM format files.  So again, the files must under go a second convertion from PCM to MS ADPDM.

This is beside the facts of editing and alterations to the sound files.

So in short, it is a nice idea but not proctical.

On another topic to do with sound, efforts to edit the HW/HW:C music into some decent event driven battle tracks isn't going to well at the moment.  So anything resembling the usual FS2 battle music isn't likely (unless major editing it undertaken, which is being looked into as thats actually my job).

-elo
Thats no moon... hes dropped his pants!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Also, many people would prefer that it be in a nice, ready-to-go package, so that they know it's done right.
-C

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
True.  Though due to the nature of sound file and all of the extra things that are begin done for Apoc, I still think it a good idea to have at least two separate versions of the project.  One with all of the extras, and a basic version with just the ships themselves and the missions, perhaps an odd graphic or two as well.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
In order to get the HW .aif files to play in the newer versions of Winamp you need to rename the extenstion to .aifr
Apparently Relic didnt copyright the .aif extension, and Mac did.
Nullsoft had to take the .aif part out. (the .aifr plugin for winamp comes with it now, no need to download a separate one)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by elorran
True.  Though due to the nature of sound file and all of the extra things that are begin done for Apoc, I still think it a good idea to have at least two separate versions of the project.  One with all of the extras, and a basic version with just the ships themselves and the missions, perhaps an odd graphic or two as well.

:nod:
-C

Offline elorran

• Big Daddy Tap
Latest version of winamp and it's still not running the thing properly.

And for the sake of changing the extension I might as well stick with 2.76 that I have installed.  It's works just fine and I don't have to piddle around with file names, saving my life they precious few seconds :D