Author Topic: Multiplayer in total conversion  (Read 88 times)

Offline topas

Multiplayer in total conversion
Hey everyone,

I would like to start playing Freespace on our recurring LAN party.
I have the retail game installed.
I found good multiplayer options using Freespace FSO and even created a small mod (more a bundle of other mods) for making the default experience a bit better by using ship interiors, better mainhalls and stuff like that. I even started to create a small mission where I reused the nice skyboxes from blue planet.
I plan to play the included multiplayer missions in FSO (I think they are from the retail version) on our event and that's already fantastic.

Now I saw Solaris.
Those ships and their missions/levels uhm I mean the backgrounds and asteroids and so on look so good!
Sadly Solaris has no multiplayer.

Now since I'm into modding (easy through Knossos) anyway I ask myself if it would be feasible to get all those nice missions from the retail Freespace in the style of Solaris.
I mean by having the mission mechanics, like the job that has to be done in the mission from the retail game, but with Solaris ships and its level design.

It might be a bad idea because mixing the missions goal from Freespace with ships and levels from a total conversion might be of "bad taste"... But I don't know.

If a total conversion mod has to be created for that, then another question arises:
Can a total conversion have a multiplayer?

I'm interested in your thoughts on this topic.

I am impressed by the work in FSO of all people!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 05:04:24 am by topas »

Offline Darius

Re: Multiplayer in total conversion
For what it's worth, I'd love to have Solaris capable of multiplayer but just lack the time/resources to make it happen.
It may run into trouble with desync since the combat is so much faster than freespace, which from memory already has issues with lag and packet loss? Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I looked into it.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Multiplayer in total conversion
Packet loss was never actually the issue, but you're right that the gameplay of Solaris may be too fast to sync, even with the rollback system.

I would try some very basic missions to see if player weapon fire hits enemy strikecraft.  If that works currently, then you may be golden.