Author Topic: Make the ML-Series  (Read 6111 times)

Offline JoeLo

I know it sounds stupid and illogical and what ever, but if there was an  ML-16 couldn't there have been an ML-12 and an ML-8 I loved that gun and giving it an evolution would be worth it.
 (Note:Aside from the Kayser and Subach, the ML-16 had clearly the coolest gun signature) maybe Promethus-R fits in too.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
While it's possible that there was an ML1 through ML40 line of laser weapons, it's unlikely that each was deemed successful enough to be used by the navy. Much like the UD-8 and the HL-7.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline JoeLo

Umm could there have been like three or something. Kinda feel stupid for starting this thread, but what the hey mhttp://dynamic.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif
my as well finish it through.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Our project is focussing on very early in the war, so don't expect much in the way of the ML line for a while. (if ever)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Ohhhh, I could do such a shameless yet relevant plug here. I really could. But I won't.

Oh, what the hell. (points to sig)

;)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The ML-16's name doesn't sound like a manufacturer's name, though...

Military Laser 16

Sixteenth laser weapon accepted for military service? Granted accepted and used are not necessarily the same thing, but most of the time a weapon given a designation like that does get used in some capacity.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
"Medium Laser - 16",  is more how I imagine it. What with the Subach HL-7 being the  "Heavy Laser -7".

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
ML-16 is rather Mega Laser, not? :p
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
If it was, then lord help the Terrans.

Offline Nuclear1

I don't know. I've torn up n00bises, Seths, and Horuses with an ML pretty damn quick on single fire mode. :p
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by nuclear1
n00bises
:lol:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Anubis[/i] is the fighter class... And they were meant to be weak.

But that's not the point, the ML may ave been great pre-shielding, but the Vasudans had their own equivalent anyway.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh crap, I meant to put a smiley in there.

Post edited. ;)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I think that you should also have light and heavy versions of the ML-16.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
So the heavy version should be the same as the ML-16 we all know? Supposing the most advanced primary weapon will be the classical ML-16.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Why would the medium version be the most advanced? I'd imagine that it's the most cost effective version, and thus, plentiful. There were undoubtedly more powerful weapons made, but they probably proved overkill. Like firing at protesters with a howitzer. The ML-16 damaged Vasudan hulls well enough.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The ML-16 damaged Vasudan hulls well enough.

:wtf: The disruptor did more hull damage per shot than that POS.

The only thing it had going for it was firing rate, but even then the Flail has it beat. Overall, it just plain sucked.

Besides, it takes a long time to kill a Seth with one of those (assuming you don't have any missiles left to use on it).

EDIT: Crap, didn't look at the date of the last post before I replied. Oh well.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Actually, I was talking with Mad Bomber one time, and he pointed out that :

[q]
[18:54] MB: damage (2 guns, constant over 2 seconds) against hull, shield, subsys
[18:54] MB: ML-16: 100, 010, 030
[18:54] MB: Disruptor: 100, 020, 200
[18:54] MB: :P
[18:54] Taristin: disruptor even does more shield damage! :o
[18:54] MB: the ML-16's only edge is range (900m vs 641m)
[/q]