Author Topic: Some Q:s about Inferno  (Read 28795 times)

Offline Chiss

Some Q:s about Inferno
Hello, everybody on HL!

I am a newbie to this site but do really enjoy the Inferno (R1) campaign. I had some questions:

1. What is the Gargant?
2. Where can i find pictures of the Gargant?
3. What is the purpose of the SI Hara (the big freaky thing with no weapon emplacements what so ever)?
4. How can I upload my, for example, missions to HL?

And, finally:

5. Where can I get full info on the IR1 ships? The Tech Room does'nt have descriptions for all of them.
6. My Tech Room Weapons Database shuts down FS2 directly, and I cannot view anything. Can you help me?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Some Q:s about Inferno
1. What is the Gargant?

An obscenely large Shivan juggernaut. (38.7km to be exact)

2. Where can i find pictures of the Gargant?

Right here.

3. What is the purpose of the SI Hara (the big freaky thing with no weapon emplacements what so ever)?

An extremely large Shivan colony IIRC. It's not in the latest (as of yet unreleased) version of the mod.

4. How can I upload my, for example, missions to HL?

Upload them to Hades Combine.

For a temporary hosting, under "Additional Options" you can attach files to your post, but they will eventually be deleted after 20 or so days.

5. Where can I get full info on the IR1 ships? The Tech Room does'nt have descriptions for all of them.

Tech Room is the only place nowadays. There used to be a Ship Listing on the Inferno site but it was deleted.

6. My Tech Room Weapons Database shuts down FS2 directly, and I cannot view anything. Can you help me?

Everybody gets that error. The only way is to go and get the FreeSpace Open (Source Code Project, SCP). The best way to get it is from Turey's Installer which installs everything needed for FreeSpace 2. However, if you download that, some parts of Inferno will stop working. To solve SOME of these problems, not all, download the Inferno patch. Some things in Inferno may still not work, however, but upgrading to SCP is highly recommended nonetheless.

And have a nice day.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Snail, you forgot to fire the USilv at newcomers...

:welcomesilver:

That's for Chiss.

And, uhh, Snail, are you a beta tester for INF_SCP or something?

Where can i find pictures of the Gargant?

The menu picture of INFR1 is a picture of the SH Gargant in Earth orbit. To get a quick picture of it, move your mouse all the way to the bottom-right of the screen, press the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then go to Paint and press CTRL+V.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:56:58 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

He's on the Inferno: Alliance team... and somehow got his hands on a couple of piccys from the main Inferno project (like those featuring the Gargant).

Seriously, Snail, this has been irritating me: where did you get those pics? I've never seen the thread they were originally posted in, and I don't think you were ever on the main Inferno staff were you?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dysko

He's on the Inferno: Alliance team... and somehow got his hands on a couple of piccys from the main Inferno project (like those featuring the Gargant).

Seriously, Snail, this has been irritating me: where did you get those pics? I've never seen the thread they were originally posted in, and I don't think you were ever on the main Inferno staff were you?
AFAIK, Woo released these pictures on the public Inferno forum. I remember seeing them some months ago. Snail hasn't stolen them. I think :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Snail

• SC 5

From the public forum. The only pictures that were not released on the public forum before were the 4 Inferno alliance pictures I posted in the INFA Eyecandy thread. The rest were posted right here in the open. I was just bored enough to go find them.

Offline Chiss

Yeah and one more thing...

The Earth Model is kind of weird... When I make one in FRED, only the description shows up, ie no model.
In-mission, I can target it but i don't see it unless in the left-corner desc window.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??  :confused:

Offline Chiss

...and an another thing.. I've got some problems with my Internet (solved approximately september, I am right now writing from a public library) and I can´t download FSOpen (never had it, anyway). Do you have any suggestions on pages where I might download it in without immidieate access to Internet?

Offline Dysko

Yeah and one more thing...

The Earth Model is kind of weird... When I make one in FRED, only the description shows up, ie no model.
In-mission, I can target it but i don't see it unless in the left-corner desc window.

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??  :confused:
The model is so big that your ship is almost surely WITHIN the model.

Offline Chiss

Right... I'll test it.

Now can you be nice and answer the second question as well?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
...and an another thing.. I've got some problems with my Internet (solved approximately september, I am right now writing from a public library) and I can´t download FSOpen (never had it, anyway). Do you have any suggestions on pages where I might download it in without immidieate access to Internet?

All you need is the .exes which are very small.

Offline Dysko

You can find the official 3.6.9 release here, but there are also more recent unofficial releases here.

If you download FSOpen, remember that you'll need the SCP patch to make INFR1 work under FSO (you can find it on the bottom of this page).

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
In those pictures, is it a model or a background image of the Earth?

And sweet Gargant *drools*. But that ship is overkill.

And, in INFR1 background image, what planet is it? Because I really don't think it's Earth.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
In those pictures, is it a model or a background image of the Earth?

And sweet Gargant *drools*. But that ship is overkill.

And, in INFR1 background image, what planet is it? Because I really don't think it's Earth.

I think someone in the INF team did claim that it was Earth, but after such a long period of time, I'm no longer certain.

Since this thread is about some Inferno questions, I think I'll post one. Has the Icanus changed from INFR1 to INF_SCP? The pictures Snail posted tells me that only the single USilv turret has been replaced by many Usilv turrets.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Has the Icanus changed from INFR1 to INF_SCP? The pictures Snail posted tells me that only the single USilv turret has been replaced by many Usilv turrets.
No, I was using a Sexp to make the one turret fire many times a second.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Doesn't look like the Earth ( in INFR1 main-hall )

And the Icanus is firing multiple USilv beams, probably because it can barely scratch the Gargant normally.

The gargant looks like a ridiculously overlenghtened Sathanas :wtf:
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Exactly. Many people ask for the model, but it would be simple enough to make one yourself. It's a stretched Sath with a few added frills.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This is incorrect. It is actually a mirrored and flipped version of the pre-R1 Gigas.

Oh, and also, I'm willing to bet that Woomeister has done some upgrading to the model since its original creation. I still think that some modifications could be made... ;7

What's a gigas again?  Is that the big, giant ship that leaves you on a cliffhanger at the end of R1?  If not, what's that ship?  Is it replaced by the Gargant in SCP?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!