Author Topic: Nemesis?  (Read 32267 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Has anyone ever tested this mission before release? I was convinced I'll submit a positive review about INFR1, because my playthrough as been, mostly, smooth and I found the missions before this enjoyable. Then came this "mission."

It's not really a mission, you see, because missions have a purpose. This is one just one confusing, unwinnable newb's wildest BoE dream, and the "FREDder" didn't bother to play the mission, choosing to place ship after ship after ship on the grid, then slap some directives and beam-frees, then publish it.

I don't remember any mission get me as frustrated as this. Not only am I supposed to be at three places at once, I am supposed to keep my wingmen alive and intercept bombs (which come in massive numbers and result in a huge shockwave when destroyed). There is no end to enemy waves, my warships' hulls just keep dropping, and when I think I'm getting close to winning mission when both the Hecate Mk II and the corvette are alive (after three tries, 8-9 minutes of CEASELESS dogfighting), Command orders a retreat because "we lost too many ship"! Dilettante missions such as these make my start any user-made campaign I download on Easy.

I understand that Inferno is old, and it was released when BoEs were welcome, and I wouldn't have a problem with it if the mission had been completable. But it isn't.

INFA was much, much better than INFR1. INFR1 is complete and irreversibly ruined by this single mission. INFA was unbalanced at places, as well, but at least its missions were short, and you saw where you had to be and what you had to be to win those missions. You can be anywhere and do anything in "Nemesis," you will lose.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
First of all, thanks for your short review. Pointing out what went wrong in old INF campaigns will significantly help raise the quality of future releases.

I remember my first attempts to beat Nemesis with a mix of feelings. I was impressed to see such an epic BoE-ish mission, but was also frustrated by its difficulty. It turned out to be quite hard to even get to the moment where the Freedom goes down, only to realize I had to replay the mission one more time because I failed to help the Independence win its battle against the Nemesis itself.

Future versions of that mission will be meant to solve the problem. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Independence? I assume it's meant to arrive later.

I'll say some positive things later, but I'm still so frustrated with this mission...
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We are glad to see the community still enthusiastic about Inferno.  We will keep your recommendations in mind for future releases.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Independence? I assume it's meant to arrive later.

After you're done with the Freedom, the Independence will arrive to face the Nemesis in a side to side battle.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Way to beat a dead horse here. This mission isn't THAT hard though, you just need to be cautious, set your priorities, and keep your wingmen alive if possible. You will eventually make it through.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What the **** are you smoking? Nemesis is the most awesome mission ever, up there with Forced Entry and stuff.
I mean, yes, it's HARD, but its awesome. Its a BoE done well. You have clearly defined objectives and the tools with which to accomplish them. Don't get lost dogfighting the fighters, they're not your concern.
If you check the file it's got like a billion events. Its NOT just the fredder slapping ships and beam freeing them.
If you can't beat it you just suck, or are on a difficulty level that's too high.

Seriously, its easy once you get what you need to do. Ok, not easy, but entirely manageable.

I was going to write off INFR1 as ****, then I played Nemesis, and then INFR1 was awesome.

Hell, I liked it so much I made an entire campaign in its likeness!

I guess I like my chaotic bomb-intercept kill beam cannons missions which border on impossible, because its exciting.
You like you sitting there for twenty minutes watching ships kill each other with blobs without time compression. Ok.

Personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:47:07 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually it used to be much harder than the final version is  :nervous:

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Oooooh...interesting...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm with Droid on this one. If you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm going to rattle on about it anyway) Nemesis was one of Inferno's Crowning Moments of Awesome. The rest of INFR1 was simply bland and uninteresting filler (I daresay INFA had a more engaging plot and atmosphere), but this mission was one of the best examples of FREDding at the time and remains pretty high on my list of great FS missions. If I had to name one reason for why Inferno got so much attention, I'd say it was this mission alone (the ships and the weapons played a part for them newbies but I think on balance this mission has stood the test of time better than any those old models). I might even go as far as saying that up until WiH, Nemesis was the only example of a large-scale BoE mission done well.

Some missions can be extremely hard and frustrating if you don't get into the swing of things or if you don't know what it is you're supposed to be doing. Nemesis was a hard mission, sure, but it was an incredibly well-designed one nonetheless. Just because you've failed a few times and got frustrated with it doesn't mean you can write off one of the community's most awesome examples of FREDding as spoiling a campaign. Quite the opposite, IMHO, Nemesis is what made INFR1 worth playing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i'm honestly with TopAce on this one, I actually got to this mission and then abandoned Inferno for about nine years because I thought it was so bad  :blah:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
i'm honestly with TopAce on this one, I actually got to this mission and then abandoned Inferno for about nine years because I thought it was so bad  :blah:
what

you

you of all people should have understood

what an artist dies in me

/shoots self

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If the mission had checkpoints it might have been fun

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
This mission frustrated me too, but I don't remember what frustrated me or why. All I remember is constantly keeping one eye on the afterburner and going "PLEASE RECHARGE RECHARGE RECHARGE RECHARGE" no matter what type of ship I used, an EA corvette does a flank jump and then something dies, causing mission failure.

If I ever finished this mission once without resorting to website measures, it was either on Very Easy or Easy. Any Blue Planet release (actually, any recent release is good enough) is just harder all around by comparison. Not to mention all the code changes too...

I give up playing on Normal in any mod now... but the stark realisation of how bad I am in games nowadays didn't come from FS... another game showed me that, but I'm going off-topic already.

I do agree with Snail on the fancy new ships and weapons having an effect on people... heck, Inferno sure roped me in good... XD
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If the mission had checkpoints it might have been fun
Yeah, it would definitely have made it a lot more enjoyable and less frustrating. But I still think Nemesis was the best mission in Inferno.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
From what I learned, looks like the true problem in Nemesis is the lack of checkpoints or whatever else reducing the odds in case of failure/death.

If you take a look at the mission in FRED, however, you'd notice how complex it was, especially for the time it was developed.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

You are a part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Take him away.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I replayed that mission aswell and must admit that it's... quite difficult and chaotic :nervous:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Wasn't Nemesis the first mission that abused the invisibility of certain characters in-game to simulate the same ship entering twice?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Maybe not the first, but definitely one of the most famous example indeed.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras